I'm jealous! (Prawnheed's MIJ Yammies content)

Jkater

• Members

The SA, SG, and many other Yammie series (including the AES, which I would love to check out) are not sold by Yamaha in the US. I guess perhaps I'll have to console myself with the knowledge that Fenders and Gibsons are available much more reasonably here than in most of the rest of the world, but I would truly love to have access to a greater variety of Yamaha electrics than the PAC112s that seem to be the only model sold here... Many, many years ago (i.e. >10) I used to jam with a co-worker who played an SG2000 through a Yamaha G100-212. He was able to get godlike tones out of that combination, and it awakened in me a GAS I've never been able to quench. In the event, he ended up moving to Japan, so I'll bet he's now awash in great Yamahas!!!! :arg:

• Members

I am exceedingly happy with them. I would not exchange any of them for anything similar I have tried and I tried a lot of guitars before buying each of them.

Now I am getting to think that Richard (Jkater) likes them more than I do! :)

• Members

Now I am getting to think that Richard (Jkater) likes them more than I do!
:)

Let's see...

- I stupidly swapped the pups in my SA2200 for something worse so your stock SA2200 is better than mine. check. Though mine has a unique history with me and will be passed on to my kids... after I put the original Yamaha pups back in.

- My PAC904 is perfect but... the ash cap on yours is the gorgeous-est I've seen on a 904 so I'd swap mine for yours (having no doubts whatsoever that yours is also perfect). check

- I would exchange my 2001 Gibson Gary Moore signature Les Paul for your SG1802 (and give you money on top) in a heartbeat. check. And I'm dead serious.

So I guess you're right. :)

• Members

... My PAC904 is
perfect
but... the ash cap on yours is the gorgeous-est I've seen on a 904 so I'd swap mine for yours (
having no doubts whatsoever that yours is also perfect
).

How many other manufacturers can you say that about with such confidence?

• Members

Speaking of the AES 920 (not to derail the thread) I spent quite a bit of time with one in a music store and found it to be an exceptionally good "Les Paul". I went back a while later to look more closely with a possible purchase in mind and the store told me they sent it back due to lack of interest (I probably could have got a deal had I timed it right).

I could never understand why Yamaha does not get the widespread recognition that their great guitars deserve. The only possible thing that I can come up with is that they don't want to get too big and end up compromising their quality just to meet demand. It's happened to others.

Archived