GFS SG kit!

guitarheo3

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How come the SG kit that I see on the GFS site is an unbound neck with dot inlays?

If they still have the bound kit with trapezoids I just might be interested in following in your footsteps!

BTW, it's looking great so far, and I vote for the white finish as well.

Thanks for keeping us updated! I love threads like these!

• Members

How come the SG kit that I see on the GFS site is an unbound neck with dot inlays?

If they still have the bound kit with trapezoids I just might be interested in following in your footsteps!

BTW, it's looking great so far, and I vote for the white finish as well.

Thanks for keeping us updated! I love threads like these!

woah, that is weird. that's the same kit we ordered so i guess they just don't have updated pics of the new kit on the site or something. i'd email jay and ask about it before you order if you do decide to. :wave:

• Members

woah, that is weird. that's the same kit we ordered so i guess they just don't have updated pics of the new kit on the site or something. i'd email jay and ask about it before you order if you do decide to.
:wave:

Yep, I emailed them to ask, and they thanked me for pointing out the error and updated the pics on the site. The trapezoid inlays and bound neck are the current model.

• Members

nothing really exciting here:

i finally got over to my mom's work shop to use her drill press to drill the holes for the stop tail so i could mount it and figure out where the TOM goes.

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

i used a 3/8 bit.. too small. stepped up to a 1/2.. too big :facepalm: luckily i only did it on one hole so i had to plug it and now i'm waiting for it to dry. ugh.

i just got back from lowes and bought a 7/16 bit.

IMG_0153.jpg

Hey! they also had sanding sealer :D... but apparently there's a rise on delinquent 17 year olds vandalizing telephone poles by sealing and sanding them so now i have to go back with my mommy to buy it.. just another reason i can't wait to turn 18.. i've bought clear without any problem before so i don't get why i can't buy this. oh well..

• Members

Bummer on the plug. Gotta drill test holes in some scrap first but I'm sure you've learned that lesson the hard way now.

On the drill bit. Those boring bits can tear out wood pretty easily if your not careful. That and you can punch through the back of the body. Especially on a thin body guitar like an SG.

I'd recommend a nice brad tipped bit for that job.

Hope its not too late but for locating your bridge stud holes.

Watch this.

[video=youtube;EEBBdt9_SY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEBBdt9_SY8&feature=related

Cant wait to see more.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

woah! bet you guys thought i fell off a cliff didn't you? haha. i've been busy working on the great ibanez electronics disaster and haven't had time to work on this guit. but i spent a good week working on the bridge placement so it would be correct and i think i found the sweet spot. off to the drill press :wave:!

625711ba.jpg

753b8ef2.jpg

5a32f2d4.jpg

• Members

so it's safe to say i'm out of the woods :thu:! strung her up and she plays awesome! i'm also thinking of this color sceme.. i know it's see through and my grain is ugly but i'm not goin for a perfect look.

8a5607da.jpg

61b59c28.jpg

redsg.jpg

next steps are to drill misc. holes and then.... FINISH

Archived