Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive

honeyiscool

• Members

When I speak of sincerity in music, I suppose what I mean is writing music from the heart, in a pure form of self-expression, with all thoughts of becoming rich and famous being secondary or non-existent. When I listen to bands like Bon Jovi, what I hear are deliberately followed, safe, middle of the road formulas, all wrapped up in a corporately produced package with a bow.

I don't think it is anything "deliberate" about it.... I think that is just where their taste lie. Not everybody likes Black Sabbath and Motorhead.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL. If you listen to the lyrics, the horse is "steel" which is a plane or a bus and the traditional western 6 shooter is replaced with a

'6 string on my back". It's about being in a famous band on the road. "Wanted" as in "desired" dead or alive.

I figured that out, but thanks.

• Members

I wish to hell I had written any of these songs. People love them, and I think most of us hate them because radio sucks, not the songs.mRadio latches onto one tune and drives it into the goddamned ground. Honeyiscool will have his own tunes that he will hate for the same reason. Revisiting these, after NOT hearing them, most are brilliantly crafted pop-rock. I was totally anti-Bon Jovi in the 80's, then got free ticket to go with a friend who had someone bail. Meh, i thought. Well, Cinderella opened. I hated them, but you know what? They were good, front to back. Then Bon Jovi came out. Brought the house down. Then Nugent ( pre insane Nuge mind you) crashed in flailing the Byrdland. The show ended with both bands and Nugent jamming Stranglehold and Cat Scratch Fever. It was awesome.

I never understand while all of us play, and are all dying for a wider audience to feel validation for what we love, what we pour our time, money and heart into, then assume that someone has a hit and start bashing on them.

And we have not even touched Journey. That entire band is comprised of road warrior top tier players coupled with the a guy who prior to wrecking his voce is arguably the strongest male pop-rock vocalist ever. Tell me that you did not get laid at least once because of a Journey tune. Steve Perry got you LAID. Steve Smith? Greg Rolie? Ross Valorie? SCHON bleeding from a {censored}ing beer bottle hit to the head? Journey rocked. We have just heard them so much, we are numb to the magic now. What band compare now to Journey, REO, ELP, Floyd, Boston? These guys ruled the world in their time, and any of you who would not give your left nutt to be a part of that are either stupid or kidding yourself.

Wanted Dead or Alive is awesome. I can't listen to it anymore, but credit where credit is due. I wish I had written it.

• Members

Despite the criticizms here, the song is as sincere as any song ever written. Now, if you don't like the subject matter, well, that is a matter of your personal taste. For me, no subject matter is off limits. But as far as the subject matter goes, the song just draws the listeners in, so they are weary and noble and riding a steel horse too, and at the end, we are all rocking a million faces, or wish we did, or feel we did for one second.

I don't have the song on my IRide, I mean IPod, but if I happen to hear it, it always draws me in and I always enjoy it. Just pray god, don't let me hear it too often.

• Members

When I speak of sincerity in music, I suppose what I mean is writing music from the heart, in a pure form of self-expression, with all thoughts of becoming rich and famous being secondary or non-existent. When I listen to bands like Bon Jovi, what I hear are deliberately followed, safe, middle of the road formulas, all wrapped up in a corporately produced package with a bow.

Page and Plant? Not necessarily who I'd choose as a comparison. How about Pixies? You surely don't hear any corporate plan being executed there. I find this kind of sincerity, or perhaps originality is a better term, to be more appealing than execution of a formula that has been overused by countless others. But that's just me. I've never found much substance in that lowest common denominator crap when it comes to music (or books, or movies...)

I think some people at the bottom of their hearts just feel pop music. There's that to consider.

As for Pixies, I absolutely love them. And I'll love them more than I can ever love Bon Jovi. But I feel like the appeal of music like Pixies is enhanced because of music like Bon Jovi that exists as contrast. If there wasn't the "formulaic crap" that contrasted against the more underground, more genuine (and often times, rougher and less perfect) music like Pixies, I feel like they'd be less enjoyable as a result. The world would be a worse place if only "sincere" music were allowed.

• Members
butthurt fanboy is WAY butthurt. Calling their music catchy is a stretch, I can't see how anybody finds it remotely interesting considering it bores me faster than Family Guy. Seeing as I'm not gay (not that theres something wrong with that) I couldn't care less how they look
:idk:
. So are you saying then that in order to enjoy Bon Jovi I need to be a woman or gay?

butthurt tryhard is WAY butthurt. Nobody's saying you need to enjoy Bon Jovi at all. However, I'm going to come right out and ask why people who like them - and subsequently are willing to stick up for them a little - are so unfathomable to you? Bon Jovi is massively successful, which means your're likely in some kind of minority when it comes to hating them...

• Members

I'm always curious when people start to get personal regarding taste. Because someone likes or doesn't like something should not bear on your perception of their worth as a person. I mean -- we're talking rock/pop music here; not exactly something people are fighting and dying for! I don't happen to like Bon Jovi, but I have lots of friends who like things I don't and vice versa. Life would be way boring if we agreed totally about everything...

• Members

I'm always curious when people start to get personal regarding taste. Because someone likes or doesn't like something should not bear on your perception of their worth as a person. I mean -- we're talking rock/pop music here; not exactly something people are fighting and dying for! I don't happen to like Bon Jovi, but I have lots of friends who like things I don't and vice versa. Life would be way boring if we agreed totally about everything...

So true.

• Members

Successful bands ALWAYS draw fire. Bon Jovi are some very talented guys...not to mention that they have been around for nearly 30 years. You don't stay together that long, and make that many records unless you have some talent. You may not like their style, but they can play.

• Members

As far as frontmen go.. the ladies love the Bon Jovi.

And on one of my gaming profiles.. I changed my profile pic to Bon Jovi as a joke (my name is Jon.. it's a funny joke.) and all of the sudden my profile was swarmed on by females WTF??? After switching back to Metallica.. nuthin.

And he was on Ally McBeal.. nuff said.

I don't mind them. As far as pop guitar riffs go.. there's been a lot worse.

• Members

Successful bands ALWAYS draw fire. Bon Jovi are some very talented guys...not to mention that they have been around for nearly 30 years. You don't stay together that long, and make that many records unless you have some talent. You may not like their style, but they can play.

Yeah, I think at some level, I respect all musicians who "make it" as musicians, no matter how they do it. It's my dream to be a successful professional musician but I know that I haven't made the sacrifices and life choices I need to make to make that dream come true, so when I see people who have, I have nothing but respect for the fact that they're doing it.

Sure, I may hate their music, but I respect the fact that they're doing it, and especially that they're making a living out of it.

• Members

Bon Jovi?

He's the author of some of the most cliched, disingenuous, and sophomoric rock music of the 80's.

Saying that you like him "because he executes it so well" is akin to saying that the slimy Used Car salesman is a great guy because of how well he bilks his customers into buying rustbuckets at premium prices.

I see liking Bon Jovi as more than bad taste...I see it as a character flaw. There's no excuse for it if you were a teenage girl in 1986; there's certainly no excuse for it now.

In My Opinion, of course.

Archived