First Guitar Center experience a good one.

caveman

• Members

Just moved to OK from WY where all of the few music stores are M&P. So I decided to go to the May Ave and 59th, Guitar Center in OKC for a POD 2. The salesman was a young man named Cody and he got me what I needed and out the door in a professional manner.

I took the POD 2 home but it pretty much sucked for my needs. I took it back the next day and they took it back without a problem. I asked for a store credit toward a set of powered studio monitors and when I asked a question that he couldn't answer, he found somebody who could.

I came away with a pair of KRK Rokit 5s ($139 ea) that he carried to the Jeep for me. It was definitely a good experience. :thu:

Great little monitors that make even my old beat up RP80 sound good! :love:

• Members

the g.c. by me is bad caus the folks that work there don't know the merchindise. most are young and not even players so they really can't answer any questions. but there is a larger g.c. about an hour and a half from here that is run by only working entertainers. i prefer the shops that are independent and locoal.:rawk::love:

• Members

Yeah my only beef with GC is when some guy who doesn't know what he is talking about tries to convince something that isn't true or that something is a great deal when it isn't. That and I can find better deals online w/o tax.

I went to Sam Ash yesterday in Torrance, CA and while the staff there wasn't overly helpful, I actually appreciated that the kinda just let me check stuff out without putting pressure on me or just bothering me. They let me check stuff out and asked if I had any questions. Unfortunatley they didn't have tone of the guitars I was looking for.

I also get a lot more respect from store employees when I show up after work wearing business clothes. I look like I got some money to spend. It is all smoke and mirrors though! :)

• Members

I just ordered a used guitar GC. Hopefully the guy described it accurately. It was listed as 5 stars, pretty much mint. It is reassuring though that I can return it to my local GC if necessary, which is only 15 min. away.

Dude who is that in your avatar? I think a guy I used to know used that same image on his band's CD (Mr. Gorsky).

As for GC, I've had good experiences mostly but had one bad one that left a bad taste in my mouth. It may be subconscious, but I haven't spent much money there since.

• Members

People hate guitar center irrationally. They're actually not bad.

Come visit the Milwaukee one and you'll never go back. Terrible door people that annoy from the second you walk in, and a staff filled with un-educated people. I've been lied to 3 or 4 times just to try to complete a sale. I went back a few months ago because it had been years since I stopped going, and same old same old. They recently sold my brother an acoustic guitar and refused to take it back when me and my dad discovered the fretboard had a hump in it.

My parents bought me a Holy Grail a few years back for Xmas and they told my parents not to buy it because the holy grail 2 is better and I'd rather have that. (Because it was more expensive). But my dad was like "my son is a gigging musician who knows what he needs"... But they did tell my parents they needed to buy a power supply for it, which they did, even though it came with one in the box.

Go to a place that pays their employees well, and isn't almost all based on commission and you'll notice the difference in how you're treated immediately.

• Members

I just ordered a used guitar GC. Hopefully the guy described it accurately. It was listed as 5 stars, pretty much mint. It is reassuring though that I can return it to my local GC if necessary, which is only 15 min. away.

Just got off the phone with the GC I ordered the guitar from. I wanted to get a tracking number. They couldn't give me one- they had taken my info, charged my credit card, then sold the guitar to someone else. It was a very hard to find, mint condition Dearmond Starfire Custom in rare vintage sunburst, with original HSC. Definitely a 'First World Problem', but man I'm a little steamed, and very disappointed.

• Members

GC have a variety of problems from customers themselves (playing loudly, using GC as a teen hangout, treat gear they can't afford badly, etc), to salesdoods which are SOMETIMES misinformed, rude, mia, incompetent, and just a general pita. And there are some who are not.

It seems to "infect" some stores worse than others. Maybe it's management, I dunno. GC Oxnard - very hit or miss. Usually miss. I've walked out of there with a $25 gift card that was expiring that day after trying to buy something for over an hour. I gave up. Wasted trip, wasted gift card. Very frustrating.

GC in Sherman Oaks, completely different. Great attitude, help, and I can get in/out in minutes for a quick purchase, or go unbothered in the "high end" room without issue. They seem to have stuff marked down more and a much better selection.

GC Hollywood - mixed bag. Mostly bc there's usually so many people in there.

• Members

Just got off the phone with the GC I ordered the guitar from. I wanted to get a tracking number. They couldn't give me one- they had taken my info, charged my credit card, then sold the guitar to someone else. It was a very hard to find, mint condition Dearmond Starfire Custom in rare vintage sunburst, with original HSC. Definitely a 'First World Problem', but man I'm a little steamed, and very disappointed.

[video=youtube;qDF_8-21SUQ]

• Members

I just scored a nice guitar from them and they let me use a 100 coupon that wasant even valid for that item....ive been one of the GC bashers...but they kicked it up a few notches on this one...they even held the guitar for me all day till i got off work...my faith in GC has been somewhat restored.

• Members

We have 4 here locally and I have to say outside of one issue I have had nothing but good experiences since the first one opened up here 27 or so years ago. Most of the sales people at the local stores are helpful and great to deal with. I guess it depends on the stores but I think GC gets a bad rap.

Archived