How many more years before Far Eastern guitars overtake Western made?

Jakey

• Members

China has been propping up the US dollar for quite a while now. They have bought tons of US debt. That is coming to and end in the near future....then the {censored} will hit the fan. One interesting fact is they realize the US dollar is doomed and will soon be worthless....that is why they are buying all the physical gold and silver that they can, also they are buying tangible assets with the US dollars...businesses and real estate...in fact it has been happening here in Canada as well..they are buying up resources, installing pipelines to extract our oil and gas. A friend turned me on to another phenomenon that is happening...in some big cites (Toronto for example) Chinese bidders are buying up homes.

The buying up of homes was 10 plus years ago and was a result of Hong Kong being turned back over to British control. There were whole neighborhoods empty, waiting for Chinese immigrants from Hong Kong who did not want to live under Chinese rule. Maybe there's been a secondary boom as well, but as I believe Toronto has the highest concentration of Chinese people in North America, I wouldn't be surprised to find many homes owned by Chinese (not the Chinese government). Gold pundants on conservative radio/TV have been preaching about the end of the US dollar for many, many years now and have made a ton of money instilling fear in the American public. Here's a rather timely story you might find interesting: http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/made-america-5m-manufacturing-jobs-coming-back-report-123557752.html

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am sure it was not meant as a slur, just an abbreviation like Brit or Aussie.

(Although I am sure it could be seen as such by people sitting around waiting to be offended.)

Or japanese americans (and their decedents), who were sent to concentration camps during WWII.

I suppose it's just easier for people to pass the blame rather than just NOT say derogatory {censored}.

• Members

The buying up of homes was 10 plus years ago and was a result of Hong Kong being turned back over to British control. There were whole neighborhoods empty, waiting for Chinese immigrants from Hong Kong who did not want to live under Chinese rule. Maybe there's been a secondary boom as well, but as I believe Toronto has the highest concentration of Chinese people in North America, I wouldn't be surprised to find many homes owned by Chinese (not the Chinese government). Gold pundants on conservative radio/TV have been preaching about the end of the US dollar for many, many years now and have made a ton of money instilling fear in the American public. Here's a rather timely story you might find interesting:

Actually it's Vancouver. (relative to population as a percentage..not total numbers...) 36% of the population.

• Members

Or japanese americans (and their decedents), who were sent to concentration camps during WWII.

I suppose it's just easier for people to pass the blame rather than just NOT say derogatory {censored}.

Jap is used in reference to commerce as a reference to the country code JAP that is used to mark copyrighted materials only intended for sale in Japan, such as video games and DVDs. The term came back into use by younger generations that have no connection to the anti-Japanese campaigns that happened during the second world war. Climb down off your PC high horse and chill out.

• Members

Jap is used in reference to commerce as a reference to the country code JAP that is used to mark copyrighted materials only intended for sale in Japan, such as video games and DVDs. The term came back into use by younger generations that have no connection to the anti-Japanese campaigns that happened during the second world war. Climb down off your PC high horse and chill out.

as I said....it's just easier for others to shift blame....it's ALWAYS someone else being "too sensitive" to racist comments...and NEVER the responsibility of the person saying the words to actually THINK about what they are saying.

Maybe you should climb off your excuses.

• Members

This, please.

:)

• Members

The buying up of homes was 10 plus years ago and was a result of Hong Kong being turned back over to British control. There were whole neighborhoods empty, waiting for Chinese immigrants from Hong Kong who did not want to live under Chinese rule. Maybe there's been a secondary boom as well, but as I believe Toronto has the highest concentration of Chinese people in North America, I wouldn't be surprised to find many homes owned by Chinese (not the Chinese government). Gold pundants on conservative radio/TV have been preaching about the end of the US dollar for many, many years now and have made a ton of money instilling fear in the American public. Here's a rather timely story you might find interesting:
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/made-america-5m-manufacturing-jobs-coming-back-report-123557752.html

Will, I have read and watched so much over the past 5 or so years, what a few folks predicted...is happening.

I honestly wish it wasn't true, but I think it is. And, I am nervous as I don't know if the majority (including myself) can make it through with what we have or have come to expect.

Hyperinflation has been unleased....it is unstoppable. I am seeing it creep up everyday....if you open your eyes...you will too.

Our local Subway restaraunts have just recently axed the $5.00 footlongs....they are now $6.50 to over $8.00! Big deal you say......well the math is scary.....the increase from $5 to $6.50 is 30%!!! That happened overnight.

Mark my words...things are gonna get really bad, really soon.

PS: Please believe me...I hope I am wrong and you are right.....but I don't think so.:cry:

• Members

Will, I have read and watched so much over the past 5 or so years, what a few folks predicted...is happening.

I honestly wish it wasn't true, but I think it is. And, I am nervous as I don't know if the majority (including myself) can make it through with what we have or have come to expect.

Hyperinflation has been unleased....it is unstoppable. I am seeing it creep up everyday....if you open your eyes...you will too.

Our local Subway restaraunts have just recently axed the $5.00 footlongs....they are now $6.50 to over $8.00! Big deal you say......well the math is scary.....the increase from $5 to $6.50
is 30%
!!! That happened overnight.

Mark my words...things are gonna get really bad, really soon.

PS: Please believe me...I hope I am wrong and you are right.....but I don't think so.
:cry:

But you forget the $5 deal was initially a limited time promotion and a significant discount over their original cost. It was so successful that they ended up continuing it. Inflation can not be judged by the promotional cost of a sandwich. For Aug 2012, it was only 1.69%. Annual for 2011 was 3.11%. Highest annual I could find historically was in 1917 @ 17.8%. The highest in the last 20 years was only 3.85% in 2008. Inflation rates in the 70's and 80's were way higher by comparison, 13.8% in 1980.

• Members

Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation. In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.

In 2003, the Japanese deputy ambassador to the United Nations, Yoshiyuki Motomura, protested the North Korean ambassador's use of the term in retaliation for a Japanese diplomat's use of the term "North Korea" instead of the official name, "Democratic People's Republic of Korea".

In 2011, following the term's offhand use in a March 26 article appearing in The Spectator ("white-coated Jap bloke"), the Minister of the Japanese Embassy in London protested that "most Japanese people find the word

• Members

But you forget the $5 deal was initially a limited time promotion and a significant discount over their original cost. It was so successful that they ended up continuing it. Inflation can not be judged by the promotional cost of a sandwich. For Aug 2012, it was only 1.69%. Annual for 2011 was 3.11%. Highest annual I could find historically was in 1917 @ 17.8%. The highest in the last 20 years was only 3.85% in 2008. Inflation rates in the 70's and 80's were way higher by comparison, 13.8% in 1980.

The subway was just an example...I guess a poor one. I notice the price of food has increased significantly, another sneaky trick is they are selling us smaller packages for the same price we paid for the bigger packages of recent past.

Also...if you are quoting government spewed nonsense CP-lie ...they are manipulated and constantly changed to severly underestimate the real inflation rate.

Any way, it really doesn't matter.....we will see what happens in the next few years.:wave:

• Members

?????????????

i was referring to the lectures on the word Jap... any time someone says anything remotely off color or that someone may fin offensive, in come the moral police. i just think it's ridiculous, especially for someone that is not of the race, sexual orientation, or whatever the case may be to get riled over it... like i said, they're just words:idk:

• Members

i was referring to the lectures on the word Jap... any time someone says anything remotely off color or that someone may fin offensive, in come the moral police. i just think it's ridiculous, especially for someone that is not of the race, sexual orientation, or whatever the case may be to get riled over it... like i said, they're just words:idk:

And do you know the race of all the pseudonymous on the board? Do you find it equally annoying when folks purposefully use derogatory terms in the sole hope that they cause a ruckus and offend someone? There is a huge difference in morality and common manners...

• Members

And do you know the race of all the pseudonymous on the board? Do you find it equally annoying when folks purposefully use derogatory terms in the sole hope that they cause a ruckus and offend someone? There is a huge difference in morality and common manners...

i agree 100% on common manners, but when something is said unintentionally and without malice it doesn't merit six paragraphs of lecture and a history lesson to boot...

i find in laughable and almost irritating when people, especially white people, get all bent out of shape over, what they consider, a racial slur that in no way has anything to do with them... i'm white and grew up in the ghetto in Tulsa, OK. my best friend growing up was a lesbian, i had Mexican, Black, and Asian friends, and my favorite uncle is gay... i have two good friends now, one is half Mexican the other is Middle Eastern Indian, they tell more racist jokes than i'v EVER heard from anyone...

you are correct however, i have no way of knowing the race of everybody on this board nor does it matter to me... people are people:idk:

• Members

People have become "pussies" and are far too PC now. Interestingly....what happens when foriegners go to some of these areas that are quick to complain....do they bend over backwards to welcome the different cultures, or do they simply tell them this is how we do it...don't like it....piss off?

In fairness...if everyone bows to it...we are all at fault.

And, I am in no way saying I support racism, just the fact that all this PC nonsense has gone too far.

• Members

Meh. The weather conditions severely control the cost of food. Given the trend of extremely unpredictable weather, when supply diminishes price increases. And regarding prepackaged food, I'd bet you a steak diner if you look at the brand on the label's annual profit it's inversely related to the amount of food in the package (less product sold at the same price = more profit). What's going to happen in the next few years? In the immortal words of David Byrne "same as it ever was". If you listen for it, someone is always predicting the end of America.

Well, one of us is 100% wrong.....we have no choice, but to wait and see who it is.

• Members

Back on topic:

Yamaha already makes guitars that are as good, if not better than, any guitar in a similar price range.

Their top of the line guitars are among the best in the world and that includes the boutique manufacturers.

Back when we were starting out as kids, my friends and I would peel the "Made In Japan" stickers of our Les Paul copies. Now I look for guitars that are made in Japan because I know they are good.

• Members

You got some growing up to do.

The guy was only using an abreviation refering to the manufacturing origin of a bloody guitar.

But hey, you take it out of context and blow it out of all proportion so you can moan about it.

• Members

If you consider US guitar manufacturers to stop at Fender and Gibson, sure. If you look beyond those two and start to consider other USA-made brands like PRS, Hamer, Suhr, Collings, and many others, many of the "best of the best", world class guitars are still made in the U.S. Do Yamaha and Ibanez really dwarf global Fender and Gibson sales? I'd love to see the numbers.

At this point I think we both need to stand corrected since you and I are talking about apples when oranges are the topic of discussion. "Thread: HOW MANY YEARS BEFORE FAR EASTERN GUITARS OVERTAKE WESTERM MADE?" The key term here being "Western made". Given that criteria the reason that Fender and Gibson (for purposes of this discussion) are relative dwarfs in the world market is that we are talking about guitars that are actually made in the Far East vs. guitars that are actually made in the West. With that criteria in mind Gibson and Fender don't get to count their branded guitars that are made in the Far East since those guitars were not made by them in the West. In addition none of the guitar makers you mentioned who market Eastern made branded instruments get to count theirs either. With that in mind the true giants in the guitar industry are the Korean companies "Cort" with a full 30% of the worlds market share and "Samick" with a similar amount. My simple math tells me that leaves a remainder of 40% for all of the other hundreds of guitar makers in the entire world to share between themselves. Seen in that light it's obvious to me that guitars actually made in the West meaning primarily American made Gibson, Fender, and others are indeed a small part of the world wide equation and have been for quite some time now.

• Members

Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation. In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.

In 2003, the Japanese deputy ambassador to the United Nations, Yoshiyuki Motomura, protested the North Korean ambassador's use of the term in retaliation for a Japanese diplomat's use of the term "North Korea" instead of the official name, "Democratic People's Republic of Korea".

In 2011, following the term's offhand use in a March 26 article appearing in The Spectator ("white-coated Jap bloke"), the Minister of the Japanese Embassy in London protested that "most Japanese people find the word

• Members

You got some growing up to do.

The guy was only using an abreviation refering to the manufacturing origin of a bloody guitar.

But hey, you take it out of context and blow it out of all proportion so you can moan about it.

+1000

They're rioting in Africa

They're starving in Spain

There's hurricanes in Florida

And Texas needs rain

The whole world is festering

With unhappy souls

The French hate the Germans

The Germans hate the Poles

Italians hate Yugoslavs

South Africans hate the Dutch

And I don't like anybody very much

We need to stop bull {censored}ting ourselves about this stuff. We are all, at least at one time or another, intentional or unintentional bigots. Anyone who says he is not is a lying Son of a Bitch. Get over it. Or, if you don't like what someone says then fine, tell them to F-off. But while you're doing it remember that each and every one of us without exception and including yourself has done and will do the very same thing in the future. In the big scheme of things its hypocrisy that scares me far more than open bigotry. At least with the latter you know where you stand.

• Members

i agree 100% on common manners, but when something is said unintentionally and without malice it doesn't merit six paragraphs of lecture and a history lesson to boot...

i find in laughable and almost irritating when people, especially white people, get all bent out of shape over, what they consider, a racial slur that in no way has anything to do with them... i'm white and grew up in the ghetto in Tulsa, OK. my best friend growing up was a lesbian, i had Mexican, Black, and Asian friends, and my favorite uncle is gay... i have two good friends now, one is half Mexican the other is Middle Eastern Indian, they tell more racist jokes than i'v EVER heard from anyone...

You argument is one of the logical fallacies, "argumentum ad populum" to be specific. In logic, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true because many or most people believe it. In other words, the basic idea of the argument is: "If many believe so, it is so."

It is logically fallacious because the mere fact that a belief is widely-held is not necessarily a guarantee that the belief is correct. So your argument that you and your minority friends tell racist jokes is unsuitable as an argument as proof that it is ok to use racist comments in a public forum.

In order for an argument to be considered valid the logical form of the argument must work

Archived