P90 sized humbuckers?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Splitable isn't a big thing......don't 100% need that.

Yeah, I just saw there was a Super Distortion, Tone Zone, Virtual P-90, Deluxe Plus, Deluxe 90.......

I'm a fan of Dimarzios. :thu: Most are pretty hot.......the Virtual P90 is more vintage.

Obviously the GFS pickups are nearly half the cost of a Dimarzio.

Can't find much on the Bill Lawrence L-550.

• Members

Seymour Duncan Phat Cats.

Same size as a "standard" humbucker.

Like ALL P90s these are single coil pups so no on the coil splitting.

P90 family pups are very responsive and somewhat finicky. You will probably need to spend some adjusting height and angle (across the strings) of each pup in order to get best response & tones.

With regular Gibson P90s I set the bridge pup as close to the strings as possible for that great P90 bite and snarl. for the neck I like them below the fretboard but not below the pickguard. Gives a big, full warm tone without mud.

The Phat cats are somewhat different, probably due to the humbucker-like metal cover. Again, take your time adjusting the height and angle of the pups for the best response. They also like a more resonant wood like mahogany, alder, maybe swamp ash. On Maple top guitars (LPs) the Phat Cats seem to lose a little something and sort "stiffen up" and get a little dull is probably the best way I can describe the sound.

I haven't tried the GFS humbucker sized P90s though I've read lots of reports of folks liking the "Mean 90" model.

• Members

I'm still not sure what you are looking for. If it's humbucker sized P90's, lots of options available. Years ago I put a set in my SG from Vintage Vibe that are awesome. They are made in a way where you can change the magnets. I currently am using alnico 2, but have a set of a4, a5, and a ceramic set. Other options are available from Gibson, BG, Rose, GFS, and a host of others. Good luck.

• Members

Sorry.
:o

I have a guitar with P90s, and want at least a humbucker in the bridge position..........don't like the hum of the P90 with gain pedals.

Many options there too. GFS sells one. IIRC it's called soapbar 180 or something like that. Another option that may help is shielding your cavity (not that one, the one on your guitar!!:eek:)

• Members

Sorry.
:o

I have a guitar with P90s, and want at least a humbucker in the bridge position..........don't like the hum of the P90 with gain pedals.

Would you look into P100's? They are a stacked singlecoil made by Gibson.

Actually, I don't know the difference between P100's and Humbuckers except for the size. I['m interested because I have P100's in a guitar but I miss the real P90 sound. I've secured new pups but I haven't "gotten rid" of the P100's yet.

• Members

Did you fabricate that plate or buy it?

no it came with the guitar. Honestly I didnt even know what it was till yesterday when I found it. I lost power yesterday and was playing my SG in the dark, quiet and I noticed a rattling sound coming from the neck pickup. I wanted to see if I could put some foam in there or something.

• Members
Seymour Duncan Phat Cats.

Same size as a "standard" humbucker.

Like ALL P90s these are single coil pups so no on the coil splitting.

P90 family pups are very responsive and somewhat finicky. You will probably need to spend some adjusting height and angle (across the strings) of each pup in order to get best response & tones.

With regular Gibson P90s I set the bridge pup as close to the strings as possible for that great P90 bite and snarl. for the neck I like them below the fretboard but not below the pickguard. Gives a big, full warm tone without mud.

The Phat cats are somewhat different, probably due to the humbucker-like metal cover. Again, take your time adjusting the height and angle of the pups for the best response. They also like a more resonant wood like mahogany, alder, maybe swamp ash. On Maple top guitars (LPs) the Phat Cats seem to lose a little something and sort "stiffen up" and get a little dull is probably the best way I can describe the sound.

I haven't tried the GFS humbucker sized P90s though I've read lots of reports of folks liking the "Mean 90" model.

you're backwards from the OP. He wants P90-sized HBs, not HB-sized P90s.

Archived