Recording guys - computer upgrade

nuke_diver

• Members

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 8 on it...and it is absolutely amazing! Just couldn't talk myself into paying 2 or 3 times as much for a Mac. I use both Macs and PCs at work, and don't believe the hype...Macs are not really any better than PCs. In fact, our Macs crash more than our PCs...:thu: Windows 8 is very fast...and you can pick up some GREAT laptops in the $600-700 range.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I just bought a new laptop with Windows 8 on it...and it is absolutely amazing! Just couldn't talk myself into paying 2 or 3 times as much for a Mac. I use both Macs and PCs at work, and don't believe the hype...Macs are not really any better than PCs. In fact, our Macs crash more than our PCs...
:thu:
Windows 8 is very fast...and you can pick up some GREAT laptops in the $600-700 range.

I want to do this too. I'm pretty much decided on getting a Laptop solely for recording purposes and I'd have to go PC because the Macs are not in my budgets. What are the features/specs that I should look for? (HD size and speed, RAM size, connections etc. etc. Please help me, I'm a n00b). I see laptop with now huge hardf drive like 1 TGB. Is that a good thing for a laptop? Any downside to my next computer being a laptop instead of a desktop (other than higher price)? I plan on connecting it to internet so that I can download programs and music stuff and also upload my music.

I also wonder if an external hard drive works for music recording like the files being on the external drive that are used with the program? (I hope this question makes sense).

• Members

I want to do this too. I'm pretty much decided on getting a Laptop solely for recording purposes and I'd have to go PC because the Macs are not in my budgets. What are the features/specs that I should look for? (HD size and speed, RAM size, connections etc. etc. Please help me, I'm a n00b). I see laptop with now huge hardf drive like 1 TGB. Is that a good thing for a laptop? Any downside to my next computer being a laptop instead of a desktop (other than higher price)? I plan on connecting it to internet so that I can download programs and music stuff and also upload my music.

I also wonder if an external hard drive works for music recording like the files being on the external drive that are used with the program? (I hope this question makes sense).

a couple of things i think are important

hard drive speed... you want 7200.. not 5400

ram... i only have 4 gig in my macbook pro but i'd like more

it's often thought that if you run save your files to an external drive you'll get better performance... but you don't HAVE to... if you have a powerful enough machine and you're not running 30 tracks with a heap of plugins you should be fine

if you go laptop, you'll have to go firewire or usb interface... are you planning on using the interface you have now?... will that inteface be enough for you going forward, or will you want to upgrade at some point?.... if so, will you want firewire/usb/pci etc...it's best to think about this now

if you're using it mainly as a computer for recording you're better off imo... i occasionally go onto the net to download new files for my drum software. or check some youtube tutorials etc... but i do very little else with mine

• Members

FYI, I ordered one of these for ~$540 to use mainly as a recording machine: ASUS 14" laptop

It should get here Monday if the shipping Gods allow it.

It has an i7 processor 2.7GHz (not the latest/greatest but should be beyond fine), 750GB (7200 RPM) drive, and 8G RAM. It also has one USB3 port which will be great when I need to move files around...well, it'll be great if I end up with other USB3 devices anyway! ;) I like the small size and light weight for when I have to drag it out on a gig.

Only problem is it's a refurb with only a 2-month warranty. I'm going to put it through the wringer while it's still in warranty and hope for the best!

I'm planning to install the ProTools 8 that came with my Eleven Rack. I've used Sonar forever but I really want to give PT a shot to see what all the fuss is about. I'll report back once I get it going if anyone is interested.

• Members

...unless it's 32-bit Windows Server 2003 "Datacenter Edition" or 32-bit Windows Server 2003 "Enterprise Edition" (on certified hardware), then it's
up to 64 GB of RAM
. Physical Address Extension (PAE) will allow a 32-bit x86 system to address more than 4 GB of RAM.

This is true but personally I wouldn't go there.

• Members

a couple of things i think are important

hard drive speed... you want 7200.. not 5400

ram... i only have 4 gig in my macbook pro but i'd like more

it's often thought that if you run save your files to an external drive you'll get better performance... but you don't HAVE to... if you have a powerful enough machine and you're not running 30 tracks with a heap of plugins you should be fine

if you go laptop, you'll have to go firewire or usb interface... are you planning on using the interface you have now?... will that inteface be enough for you going forward, or will you want to upgrade at some point?.... if so, will you want firewire/usb/pci etc...it's best to think about this now

if you're using it mainly as a computer for recording you're better off imo... i occasionally go onto the net to download new files for my drum software. or check some youtube tutorials etc... but i do very little else with mine

I very recently bought a good usb audio interface, the Presonus audiobox 22VSL. I bought it for the "computer downstairs" so I can record with a bit of daylight... (my music corner is awefully dark and tight). As you know, Dave (because I got it following your input), I have purchased Reaper which I love and will stick with forever. I don't know if my license is transferabe to a second computer. I sure hope so but if not, they'll make money with me again. So as far as A/I, I'm all set. I have a lot of gigs in nov. and dec. and that'll cover the cost of a new Computer. The reason for getting a Laptop is, like I said, a very tight and dark music corner of which I want to get out sometimes to record.

• Members
Your license allows you to use REAPER on one computer at a time.

Multiple REAPER installs for use by the same person are fine (home/studio/laptop, Win32/x64/OSX).

I'm sure you meant to help but your post confuses the hell out of me. :)

Can I install Reaper a second time with my recent Reaper purchase on a new computer?

I'll check the forum there as well.

Edit: your post shouldn't have confused me but I just didn't understand it. It seems I can install it again but have to make sure they don't run at the same time. A bit strange for a n00b like me.

• Members

I'm sure you meant to help but your post confuses the hell out of me.
:)

Can I install Reaper a second time with my recent Reaper purchase on a new computer?

I'll check the forum there as well.

The way I read it is that you can install on multiple computers, but you cannot use more than one of them at a time. Sounds a bit odd but I recall Microsoft having a similar sort of rule with Office.

• Members

I wouldn't get anything less than a 500 GB hard drive. Mine has a 750 GB, and that's plenty of space. I also have an external hard drive so that I can back my computer files up, just in case something happens to my laptop. Most Windows 8 machines are going to have 6 GB or more of ram, but I'm sure there are a few out there with 4 gbs. 6 runs with blazing speed. Processor is also very important. I originally bought a laptop with an i5 processor, but it was the 2nd generation i5. After a couple of weeks, I returned it. You want to get the 3rd generation i5/i7 processor (called Ivy Bridge). It really is that much faster! As mentioned above, get a faster rpm (7200) hard drive, if you can...but the 5400 is really that much slower, IMO. Processor speed really does make a difference here. This is the one I purchased, and I feel like it was well worth the money:

• Members
I just bought a new laptop with Windows 8 on it...and it is absolutely amazing! Just couldn't talk myself into paying 2 or 3 times as much for a Mac. I use both Macs and PCs at work, and don't believe the hype...Macs are not really any better than PCs. In fact, our Macs crash more than our PCs...
Windows 8 is very fast...and you can pick up some GREAT laptops in the $600-700 range.

So Windows 8 is OK?....I've been thinking of upgrading to it but would have to dual boot for now , since I don't think my audio interface has drivers for it yet.....

• Members

I wouldn't get anything less than a 500 GB hard drive. Mine has a 750 GB, and that's plenty of space. I also have an external hard drive so that I can back my computer files up, just in case something happens to my laptop. Most Windows 8 machines are going to have 6 GB or more of ram, but I'm sure there are a few out there with 4 gbs. 6 runs with blazing speed. Processor is also very important. I originally bought a laptop with an i5 processor, but it was the 2nd generation i5. After a couple of weeks, I returned it. You want to get the 3rd generation i5/i7 processor (called Ivy Bridge). It really is that much faster! As mentioned above, get a faster rpm (7200) hard drive, if you can...but the 5400 is really that much slower, IMO. Processor speed really does make a difference here. This is the one I purchased, and I feel like it was well worth the money:

• Members

No, have not done any recording with it. However, I have not had any driver issues with any of my current gear. Although I have not tried to edit anything on my pedal or amp....

And yes, I think Windows 8 is fantastic!

Steve

What software (if any) do you use for recording? The biggest concern I currently have for a new computer with W8 would be software compatibility. Sadly Avid seems to be pretty lame and only say on their website that they will be evaluating W8 in the "coming Months" :facepalm: So I guess if I got a new computer with W8 pre-installed and it doesn't work they would want me to switch software to Reaper or something that does work :o

• Members

No, have not done any recording with it. However, I have not had any driver issues with any of my current gear. Although I have not tried to edit anything on my pedal or amp....

And yes, I think Windows 8 is fantastic!

Cool...for $39.99, I'll give it a shot and use my internal sound for now ....

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_Home_FPP_Null

• Members
Steve

What software (if any) do you use for recording? The biggest concern I currently have for a new computer with W8 would be software compatibility. Sadly Avid seems to be pretty lame and only say on their website that they will be evaluating W8 in the "coming Months"
:facepalm:
So I guess if I got a new computer with W8 pre-installed and it doesn't work they would want me to switch software to Reaper or something that does work
:o

Is W8 an improvement over W7? And i have now switched to Reaper so I hope it works with W8.

• Members

Is W8 an improvement over W7? And i have now switched to Reaper so I hope it works with W8.

I saw a compatibility website that says it does but I have no direct knowledge that it does. I'm not sure that W8 is an improvement over W7 though Steve man does ;). I'm still on XP so either one is going to mean an upgrade to PT for me but the bigger concern I have are the drivers since PT LE 8 only works with Avid (digidesign) stuff. I have an Mbox mini so I have the hardware but if the drivers don't work with W8 it won't matter. So long as my current computer is still running I have no worries and if I get a lap top the current computer will be a recording computer but I'm not really sure I want to go that way yet

• Members

I shifted away from PC about a year ago and work on an iMac now with Logic...using logic has been a learning curve, but I am glad I made the switch.

Same here. Though I'm a rock guitar player I've always had a taste for electronic type stuff. Logic has really opened up that world to me. Loops, samples and the using the soft synths with a midi guitar has changed my world.

I took a one hour class over at the Mac store and it helped a lot. Back when I was using Sonar I always saw my recording software as an analog to the old recording studio, Logic helped me break away from that when I started understanding the grid better.

• Members
I saw a compatibility website that says it does but I have no direct knowledge that it does. I'm not sure that W8 is an improvement over W7 though Steve man does
;)
. I'm still on XP so either one is going to mean an upgrade to PT for me but the bigger concern I have are the drivers since PT LE 8 only works with Avid (digidesign) stuff. I have an Mbox mini so I have the hardware but if the drivers don't work with W8 it won't matter. So long as my current computer is still running I have no worries and if I get a lap top the current computer will be a recording computer but I'm not really sure I want to go that way yet

Dave, I can share a current (that's even more recent than "recent"). experience about letting go of a software I got used to and thought I ought to stick with. When I bought my A/I echo gina3, it came with a recording software, "Tracktion". I ended up using it exclusively. All my jams, projects (including a very fancy one with MrSully and one precious one with my daughter) were "attached" to it and i thought I got to use that software so that I don't lose those projects. Now {censored} happens and the software broke, for lack of a clearer term. Story short, my attempts to recover it and redownload it were unsuccessful. One thing I could still do is save the individual tracks to a wav. file so I can eventually import it in a good recording software so all is not lost. Speaking of good recording software, why on earth did I not try and purchase REAPER before? MrSully (The guy is a mine of sensible inputs) told me about REAPER being a very widely used software with a singular way of pricing based on trust and fairness. I downloaded it and used it now for different things. Wow, this is just a great program, way better than anything I have had before. As it turns out, you can install it very easlily on different computers if you don't use it simultanously in real time (strange thing).

Hum... story was supposd to be short. Dave, here's my point: my experience has shown me that a FRESH start is something that can make things immensely simpler and more efficient. New hardware, new software, all working at today's speed and smoothness. That's the way i decided to go and my new laptop is going to be a joy to work with compared to the crappy stuff I thought I had to be stuck with.

• Members

...You want to get the 3rd generation i5/i7 processor (called Ivy Bridge). It really is that much faster!

As far as desktop and mobile goes, the most significant difference between the current Ivy Bridge microprocessors and the previous generation Sandy Bridge microprocessors of similar clock speed and cache specifications is memory speed due to the new on-die memory controller. Second most significant difference is the on-die graphics processing speed due to new graphics cores. Power efficiency is slightly better with Ivy Bridge. Most of these refinements were due to the transition from 32nm to 22nm die lithography (made everything a bit smaller -- also known as a "die shrink").

Here are the specifications of your current Ivy Bridge microprocessor in your Lenovo and the equivalent earlier Sandy Bridge microprocessor:

Ivy Bridge:

http://ark.intel.com/products/67355/Intel-Core-i5-3210M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz-rPGA

Sandy Bridge:

http://ark.intel.com/products/53452/Intel-Core-i5-2450M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

Sandy Bridge brought a new microarchitecture (TICK) and Ivy Bridge brought various refinements to Sandy Bridge (TOCK). The next TICK will arrive about September 2013 with the all-new Haswell microarchitecture followed by Broadwell (TOCK) a year or so later.

• Members
As far as desktop and mobile goes, the most significant difference between the current Ivy Bridge microprocessors and the previous generation Sandy Bridge microprocessors of similar clock speed and cache specifications is
memory speed
due to the new on-die memory controller. Second most significant difference is the
on-die graphics processing speed
due to new graphics cores. Power efficiency is slightly better with Ivy Bridge. Most of these refinements were due to the transition from 32nm to 22nm die lithography (made everything a bit smaller -- also known as a "die shrink").

Ivy Bridge:

http://ark.intel.com/products/67355/Intel-Core-i5-3210M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz-rPGA

Sandy Bridge:

http://ark.intel.com/products/53452/Intel-Core-i5-2450M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

Sandy Bridge brought a new microarchitecture (TICK) and Ivy Bridge brought various refinements to Sandy Bridge (TOCK). The next TICK will arrive about September 2012 with the all-new Haswell microarchitecture followed by Broadwell (TOCK) a year or so later.

Thanks!!! Everything's clear now... :D

Archived