Recording guys - computer upgrade

nuke_diver

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought Haswell was targeted for March or April 2013. If it is Sept that might change the decision on what to do. While I'm thinking about a laptop I almost prefer to build a new Desktop. I don't need the portability and if I build a desktop I'll know exactly what is in it which means I'll have a pretty good idea on what's its capabilities are.

Regarding the recording software Richard, staying on PT is more than likely what I will do. While there are likely better (easier :idk:) software out there PT is an industry standard for some reason and any change in software would still mean a change in hardware. My current computer cannot directly record (soundcard does not have a preamp) and a new computer without PT would need some kind of preamp as well. So I might was well stick with what I have and if W8 turns out to not work with it (and I'll be sure to try and find out before I buy the system...I suspect I can get an answer out of my sales rep at sweetwater) then I would just go with W7 which does work. It would be an easier decision if things broke because I fundamentally have trouble throwing away things that still work well (hence my 6 year old computer, 16 year old car, 30 yr old road bike and many t-shirts that are from the 90's :facepalm:..oh and my wife :D)

• Members

I thought Haswell was targeted for March or April 2013. If it is Sept that might change the decision on what to do. While I'm thinking about a laptop I almost prefer to build a new Desktop. I don't need the portability and if I build a desktop I'll know exactly what is in it which means I'll have a pretty good idea on what's its capabilities are.

Regarding the recording software Richard, staying on PT is more than likely what I will do. While there are likely better (easier :idk:) software out there PT is an industry standard for some reason and any change in software would still mean a change in hardware. My current computer cannot directly record (soundcard does not have a preamp) and a new computer without PT would need some kind of preamp as well. So I might was well stick with what I have and if W8 turns out to not work with it (and I'll be sure to try and find out before I buy the system...I suspect I can get an answer out of my sales rep at sweetwater) then I would just go with W7 which does work. It would be an easier decision if things broke because I fundamentally have trouble throwing away things that still work well (hence my 6 year old computer, 16 year old car, 30 yr old road bike and many t-shirts that are from the 90's :facepalm:..oh and my wife :D)

• Members

I thought Haswell was targeted for March or April 2013.

We the public won't know for sure because Intel has occasionally pulled forward release dates on processor models (Xeons, mobile, etc) because AMD was breathing down their necks with competition. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case with AMD for about 4 years now, and Intel has been dragging out new server and desktop processors because there is no reason to scramble in a slow market with luke-warm competition. Mobile and low-power are different, though. AMD is actually beginning to take marketshare from Intel in this segment and AMD has an ARM license that it plans on using.

Scuttlebutt from the Intel Developer's Forum (a convention) this past September (2012) has it that Haswell technology will first show up with Atom processors (Silvermont) and Atom System-On-a-Chip (CloverTrail) in Q1 around March, then shortly thereafter in Q2 around April/May with various low-power mobile (notebook) processors, followed closely by faster mainstream mobile (notebook) processors in June/July, then server and desktops allegedly in September. Chances are that some limited number of Haswell-based desktop processors will show up when notebook processors start shipping -- likely going to Dell, Acer, IBM, Lenovo, and HP before showing up in the retail processor market.

If you *really* don't need a new computer for the next 12 to 15 months, it would be well worth the wait on Haswell. As good as Ivy Bridge is now, it's a bit mind boggling that power consumption and performance will be significantly better with Haswell than it is with the current Ivy/Sandy Bridge.

• Members

If you *really* don't need a new computer for the next 12 to 15 months, it would be well worth the wait on Haswell. As good as Ivy Bridge is now, it's a bit mind boggling that power consumption and performance will be significantly better with Haswell than it is with the current Ivy/Sandy Bridge.

I don't really need any electronics :D Power consumption for the Haswell looks to be better but performance seems to be up for debate (5-20% are the numbers being kicked around). I might wait or my computer might die tomorrow given it's age. Having an idea of the price would be most helpful to me. I never need the top of the line cause I don't do video rendering or play the latest and greatest games so I'm leaning towards build a new one sooner rather than later since I'd like some overall speed improvements.

Good information though RC thanks :thu:

• Members

...or my computer might die tomorrow given it's age.

Definitely, without a doubt, you should get a replacement system soon. Sounds like the patient is in critical condition. :lol:

If you are into silent computers (quiet as possible) like you should be for DAW work, and since you aren't doing games, you should check out these recent fan-less dual-head-capable video cards such as the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 or the AMD (ATI) FirePro 2270. Both of these video cards can do up to 2560x1600 to two LCD monitors at once. Cooling is done with a large passive heatsink. You don't need a gamer video card with a ridiculous "leaf blower" cooler to do DAW work.

For quiet processor cooling, a large-ish cooler with a large low-speed fan could easily cool either of these two processors: Core i3-2120T, 2.6 GHz, 2-Cores, 3MB Cache 35 Watts -- street price: $135, or a Core i5-2500T, 2.3 ~ 3.3 GHz, 4-Cores, 6MB Cache, 45 Watts -- street price: $162. Typical Core i5 and Core i7 processors consume anywhere from 65 watts up to 130 watts.

• Members

I wouldn't get anything less than a 500 GB hard drive.

As far as notebooks go, yes, 500 GB is the best deal at the moment. 750 GB probably will be in 6 months. Desktops with SATA can easily use the 2.5 inch hard drives that notebooks use by buying a 2.5-to-3.5 inch storage bay adapter for $5. The SATA connectors for data and power are the same on 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch hard drives.

For SSD, I'd go for something at least in the 200 GB range these days. Good fast dependable 240 GB and 250 GB SSDs have finally become affordable.

We've never had it so good before. :lol:

slide_1-system_mbytes_51677.jpg

Archived