GuitarNoobie

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GreaserMatt

View Post

Cool thread as well...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish

View Post

so i assume the template overhang on the cutaway side is the amount the body was made too narrow by? tis a pretty good chunk. hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by igge

View Post

It looks bigger because of the shadows on the wall. Don't think it's more than a few millimeters at most. Neck template looks good. I like the headstock, it's identical to my main axe, a J&D LC3 LP Custom "copy". Which needs more shielding in the control cavity, it didn't come with any. I glued alu-foil in there. But it weighs less than an Epi LP and that's a big plus in my book.

Hope Guitarnoobie don't mess up the fretting.

igge is correct. the overhang is 3/32" or 2.69mm. the shadow does make if look bigger.

of course i will have to compensate when making the neck and sand off a little more wood than the template calls for. i seem to be pretty good at that rolleyes.gif

and igge, i think the fretting should go fairly smooth. not nearly as concerned about that as i was the inlays...thumb.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

update:

fretting went along nicely, sort of like i anticipated...

chamfered and ready

dcam4922.jpg

hammered in

dcam4927.jpg

trimmed and pressed

dcam4929.jpg

now i have a question. i am about to take a flat file to the sides and get all fret ends perfectly even with the edge of the fretboard. my question is about beveling the fret ends.

how much of a bevel to i really need if i am adding binding and nibs... my guess is not really that much, correct?

wave.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarNoobie

View Post

update:

now i have a question. i am about to take a flat file to the sides and get all fret ends perfectly even with the edge of the fretboard. my question is about beveling the fret ends.

how much of a bevel to i really need if i am adding binding and nibs... my guess is not really that much, correct?

wave.gif

if your putting bound fret ends, you want no bevel at al. it should be dead straight.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mdintx

View Post

Nice work so far my man!

thanks mark...

Quote Originally Posted by rakester

View Post

Love your build threads GN smile.gif

I wanna try a LP build one day, just started by first build in the past couple days to warm me up before attempting something like this smile.gif

(http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=2434903)

thanks, i appreciate it...

just sub'd to your thread. very cool build you have going on there... thumb.gif

• Members

View Post

if your putting bound fret ends, you want no bevel at al. it should be dead straight.

that's kinda what made sense. with a bevel i would have had to melt the binding to create the nibs...

very cool, i will have the binding on here in a bit... thumb.gif

• Members

View Post

this is gonna be the highest quality home depot guitar ever! smile.gif

the irony i think is that the top is kinda pretty.

lol, yup this is the finest my Home Depot has to offer tongue.gif

actually i was reading a thread last night on MLP and a Lowes in Vermont carries maple, figured maple at that... for $22 no less mad.gif

but i do think the aspen top with it's grain is gonna make a sweet plain top for sure thumb.gif

• Members

View Post

lol, yup this is the finest my Home Depot has to offer tongue.gif

actually i was reading a thread last night on MLP and a Lowes in Vermont carries maple, figured maple at that... for $22 no less mad.gif

but i do think the aspen top with it's grain is gonna make a sweet plain top for sure thumb.gif

my wood supplier has informed me they have some 14" wide khaya, and 100 "339" sized book matched quilt tops in stock and a stack of rosewood fretboard blanks that are drying out. they are gonna quote me on all that crap next week. then i will cry. hahahahah.

• Members

View Post

my wood supplier has informed me they have some 14" wide khaya, and 100 "339" sized book matched quilt tops in stock and a stack of rosewood fretboard blanks that are drying out. they are gonna quote me on all that crap next week. then i will cry. hahahahah.

well that's enough to get the business up and runnin thumb.gif

• Members

my spindle/belt sander is bad-ass. i use it for almost everything...

it's just barely big enough to handle the neck blank, but it is.. take a look back at the neck blank before sanding and compare the roughness...

love.gif me some Rigid Sander thumb.gif

dcam4942.jpg

necks drawn and ready for cutting...

dcam4944.jpg

ok, i used my chop saw for the tops of the headstock angle, but that won't work for the rest of it. my table saw blade won't quite cut through it, plus it's not really an option for any inside (between neck drawing) cuts. that really only leaves me my bandsaw, which just barely has enough clearance. you can see a cut i have started. but with the speed it runs at, it's gonna be a long, slow process...

is a bandsaw the correct tool for this job? i do have a reciprocating saw, how would that work...?

dcam4945.jpg

btw, work continues on the neck binding and nibs. getting closer all the time thumb.gif

• Members

View Post

ok, i used my chop saw for the tops of the headstock angle, but that won't work for the rest of it. my table saw blade won't quite cut through it, plus it's not really an option for any inside (between neck drawing) cuts. that really only leaves me my bandsaw, which just barely has enough clearance. you can see a cut i have started. but with the speed it runs at, it's gonna be a long, slow process...

is a bandsaw the correct tool for this job? i do have a reciprocating saw, how would that work...?

dcam4945.jpg

btw, work continues on the neck binding and nibs. getting closer all the time thumb.gif

bandsaw set up corectly with a good blate will do that easily. bandsaw with a {censored} blade and bd tracking will leave you ordering another block of wood.

if the saw doesnt look like its cutting vertical, stop and find another method or get some help.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind

View Post

bandsaw is the correct tool, yes. Be sure your saw is cutting square if you are going to get lose to the lines. If you aren't sure leave some room and then take it to size with your sander or router table.

View Post

bandsaw set up corectly with a good blate will do that easily. bandsaw with a {censored} blade and bd tracking will leave you ordering another block of wood.

if the saw doesnt look like its cutting vertical, stop and find another method or get some help.

well my bandsaw is cheap...

41Kj-FLppFL.jpg

with a stock blade and the cut is never perfect. i will just go slow and leave myself some sanding... thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

You can get a decent large throught bandsaw for about $300.00 at Sears. My Jet spindle sander and Jet bandsaw have made my guitar building experience much easier.

someday, have to make do with my current bandsaw for now...

i was able to cut one of them out and the cut line is not straight, but it will work...

pics later...

Archived