Incredible Homemade Les Pauls

GuitarNoobie

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarNoobie

View Post

no problem, like i said, we can discuss whatever in here... no problems at all...

smile.gif thanks. im justt rambling here mostly. not actually trying to sell things. just seems kinda appicable to your thread build.

i think i found the redeeming area here. inlay work is moderately cheap. purpleheart fretboard $16, and WITH maple trap inlays installed $36. yay. haha. thats probably going to be the base.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thanks, the top should make for a real fancy looking LP thumb.gif

i was gonna do a transparent wine red, but now i am thinking i should go with a cherry sunburst, definitely something brighter than wine red. that flame needs to be shown wink.gif

no mahogany yet, i just sent guitarzan1143 a PM checking on it. I know he was ready to ship, but got 21 inches of snow eek.gif

• Members

View Post

i was gonna do a transparent wine red, but now i am thinking i should go with a cherry sunburst, definitely something brighter than wine red. that flame needs to be shown wink.gif

no mahogany yet, i just sent guitarzan1143 a PM checking on it. I know he was ready to ship, but got 21 inches of snow eek.gif

do you know if the top is hard or big leaf maple? if its big leaf, you can do a dye job like you did on the grizzly kit. might look awesome in a black cherry finish. if its hard maple, youll need to go with a transparent finish cause it wont dye evenly. i think it would go well with a light amber / honey burst type finish myself.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish

View Post

smile.gif thanks. im justt rambling here mostly. not actually trying to sell things. just seems kinda appicable to your thread build.

i think i found the redeeming area here. inlay work is moderately cheap. purpleheart fretboard $16, and WITH maple trap inlays installed $36. yay. haha. thats probably going to be the base.

purpleheart and paduak run about the same from my lumber dealer, might be worth looking into for a more traditional look.

I personally love purpleheart, yellowheart, redheart, bloodwood, etc but I think they probably aren't traditional enough for mass produced kits. The nice thing about paduak is it darkens with age quick enough to look enough like brazilian rosewood to appease the masses.

• Members

View Post

you're far enough away from finishing that top that you will change your mind 100 times before you get there. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind

View Post

purpleheart and paduak run about the same from my lumber dealer, might be worth looking into for a more traditional look.

I personally love purpleheart, yellowheart, redheart, bloodwood, etc but I think they probably aren't traditional enough for mass produced kits. The nice thing about paduak is it darkens with age quick enough to look enough like brazilian rosewood to appease the masses.

padauk can darken, or go pale pink, or orange. very variable. prupleheart will be on a select few standard kits, but any other wood would be available for an upcharge on custom orders. likewise the board is unatached, so you could replace it with a stew mac one.

ive designated the first 50 stock kits (see kit thread). i see one problem now....

buying 50 guitars worth of wood!!! $1400 in mahogany body blanks is gonna be rough. haha. ill probably have to make 10-15 at a time mostly because i cant really stockpile that many guitars at once.

• Members

View Post

do you know if the top is hard or big leaf maple? if its big leaf, you can do a dye job like you did on the grizzly kit. might look awesome in a black cherry finish. if its hard maple, youll need to go with a transparent finish cause it wont dye evenly. i think it would go well with a light amber / honey burst type finish myself.

hmm, i have no idea, maybe i will email Tom and ask him... i just assumed it would take a dye confused.gif

so if it's hard maple i will have to spray some kind of nitro with color in it? is that what you are saying???

View Post

you're far enough away from finishing that top that you will change your mind 100 times before you get there. smile.gif

i know right !!! lol !!!

• Members

View Post

so if it's hard maple i will have to spray some kind of nitro with color in it? is that what you are saying???

coloured nitro yeah, or a coloured oil based dye which may look too solid and drown the figure.

maybe some people on the rerange forum or other places have more ideas. i just know the water based 2 stage dye trick like you did last time will definitely not work on hard maple.

• Members

View Post

coloured nitro yeah, or a coloured oil based dye which may look too solid and drown the figure.

maybe some people on the rerange forum or other places have more ideas. i just know the water based 2 stage dye trick like you did last time will definitely not work on hard maple.

damn, thanks for the information. i didn't know that...

i sent Tom an email asking him.

now i need to get off the computer and get in the cold garage and start sanding my fretboard.

bbl, wave.gif

• Members

View Post

i'd lay dollars to donuts the top is PAC-NW maple by looking at it

View Post

that would normally be my first guess, but being intended as an "authentic" 59, ill bet on sugar maple.

what's all that mean, big leaf or hard ???

btw, 100 grit sanding on the fretboard and inlays coming along nicely thumb.gif

dcam4900.jpg

• Members

i just emailed my wood supplier to find just how much this wood will cost. ive been basing things on his posted retail prices, but i should manages some volume discounts here. plus i want him to quote on plaining and book matching the woods to see if it saves me any money.

fun fun!

• Members

View Post

what's all that mean, big leaf or hard ???

btw, 100 grit sanding on the fretboard and inlays coming along nicely thumb.gif

not bad, not bad.

hard maple = sugar maple = rock maple = eastern maple.

western maple = big leaf maple.

western is soft, but has more pretty figuring. quilt is a westen maple only thing. birdseye is an eastern maple thing.

eastern maple doesnt like to absorb water, its too dense. this is why it wont dye well. western maple will soak it up.

• Members

View Post

not bad, not bad.

hard maple = sugar maple = rock maple = eastern maple.

western maple = big leaf maple.

western is soft, but has more pretty figuring. quilt is a westen maple only thing. birdseye is an eastern maple thing.

eastern maple doesnt like to absorb water, its too dense. this is why it wont dye well. western maple will soak it up.

ok, well that provides me more information...

we will see what Tom has to say about the wood tomorrow when he emails but if you are correct then i am gonna have to build me paint enclosure to shoot some nitro wink.gif

i really was planning on doing the reranch dyes but i may have to re-think that...

working on some neck templates now, based on the Bartlett plans... thumb.gif

• Members

View Post

did you get my package in the mail today?

got your PM, thanks

here's to wishin it was warm enough to be in the shed making sawdust

i did get your package, thank you very much...

i made sawdust tonight... poke.gif

here's the latest update...

fretboard needed just a tad more filler for the inlays in a couple spots i missed. those are filled and i can finish sanding that up tomorrow so it will be ready for the frets... thumb.gif

and with my new bartlett plans i went to work creating neck templates tonight. making these templates can be very very time consuming, but will be a big time saver in the future...

dcam4902.jpg

dcam4903.jpg

a very nice tight, snug fit in the neck pocket thumb.gif

dcam4905.jpg

tenon doesn't go in quite as far as it should. i built the body from the catto drawing and the neck template from the bartlett plan. sure enough when i held the template up to the catto drawing there was the difference. oh well, not a big deal and in fact for this practice build i can add just a little length to the tenon if i would like...

dcam4906.jpg

frets tomorrow night wink.gif

• Members

It looks bigger because of the shadows on the wall. Don't think it's more than a few millimeters at most. Neck template looks good. I like the headstock, it's identical to my main axe, a J&D LC3 LP Custom "copy". Which needs more shielding in the control cavity, it didn't come with any. I glued alu-foil in there. But it weighs less than an Epi LP and that's a big plus in my book.

Hope Guitarnoobie don't mess up the fretting.

Archived