Still Amazed By The Mustang...

steve_man

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So if I got the Mustang 2, can it be heard over a loud drummer in a practice type of environment?

Clean no, with the gain and the onboard OD peddal granked up a bit it should do ok. Get it up off the floor.

• Members

So if I got the Mustang 2, can it be heard over a loud drummer in a practice type of environment?

Well from my experience you can hear it fine with the volume and gain pushing 10 but the drums may still stick out-then again my drummer is loud as hell.

That reminds me, I'm thinking of getting a Mustang 3 or 4 (probably won't bother with 5, don't want a head and a cab to worry about) for gigging situations. Only problem is, I play a lot at home, and it may be too loud. Does the Mustang 3 still do well at low volumes like the first two, or does it need extra volume to get good? I could keep both, but I really don't see the point in having a Mustang 2 and a Mustang 3, plus I'll probably sell the 2 to help towards a new amp.

• Members

Spent a couple of hours with the 4 button. Fairly simple. You have on buttoon that controls about everything. Far left button sets the other buttons. You have a tuner, set 3 of your favorite presets, and lastly you can change the effects, but only to turn on or off. So you need to have an effect on for that to work. For what I play (church 4-5 songs) the four button works great.

• Members

I could never the Marshall sims to sound good for some reason, even with FUSE.

Agree there is no clean Marshall sound at all. I like to dial in a nice clean sound then add in some grit.

Haven't really fooled around with them much. I just kind of moved on after I couldn't get the sound I was looking for.

Is the Twin model on the bigger 3,4,and 5 amps weak as it is on the II. I thought maybe they would correct that.

• Members

"Well from my experience you can hear it fine with the volume and gain pushing 10 but the drums may still stick out-then again my drummer is loud as hell.

That reminds me, I'm thinking of getting a Mustang 3 or 4 (probably won't bother with 5, don't want a head and a cab to worry about) for gigging situations. Only problem is, I play a lot at home, and it may be too loud. Does the Mustang 3 still do well at low volumes like the first two, or does it need extra volume to get good? I could keep both, but I really don't see the point..." The Mustang 3 sounds a lot better at low volumes due to the Celestion speaker.

• Members

"Well from my experience you can hear it fine with the volume and gain pushing 10 but the drums may still stick out-then again my drummer is loud as hell.

That reminds me, I'm thinking of getting a Mustang 3 or 4 (probably won't bother with 5, don't want a head and a cab to worry about) for gigging situations. Only problem is, I play a lot at home, and it may be too loud. Does the Mustang 3 still do well at low volumes like the first two, or does it need extra volume to get good? I could keep both, but I really don't see the point..." The Mustang 3 sounds a lot better at low volumes due to the Celestion speaker.

The III sounds great at low volumes. Don't worry about it not being a good low volume practice amp.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have had the Mustang 1 for a week and it is quite a bit better than the MicroCube. The Cube was overwhelmed when I ran a overdrive and fuzz thru it. Have not yet done the cd that comes with it, just run a Boss overdrive and or wah into one of the presets and quite nice sound.

• Members

I got the II yesterday (traded my I and some cash for it).

Sounds about the same as the I for low volume (maybe a little "deeper"), but definitely has more headroom. I'm going to try it at a rehearsal I have coming up, with an eye at using it for a small venue, low key, low volume gig. I am a little leery though and will probably bring some sort of backup.

• Members

I got the III around a week ago...not much louder than the 2, but noticeably. The screen is very helpful, and having 100 presets is very interesting. A lot of people complain that it doesn't have the raw power of a tube amp, but set it up right and you can get some really nice dirty tones. Definitely loud enough for bands, probably not too good for the larger gigs though.

• Members

The mom & pop where I work is a fender dealer, so I've been able to check them out & listen to other players through them as well.

I'm going for the III so it'll have the celestion speaker.

I think the open back contributes to the sound of the III as well. For $300 new, it's a killer amp.

• Members

I got the III around a week ago...not much louder than the 2, but noticeably. The screen is very helpful, and having 100 presets is very interesting. A lot of people complain that it doesn't have the raw power of a tube amp, but set it up right and you can get some really nice dirty tones. Definitely loud enough for bands, probably not too good for the larger gigs though.

Honestly, with the way most people mic their amps, I'm not sure why you would need a ton of raw power, unless you're playing large venues. :idk:

• Members

Honestly, with the way most people mic their amps, I'm not sure why you would need a ton of raw power, unless you're playing large venues.
:idk:

Depends on the stage, stage size and the person playing an acoustic instrument (DRUMMER!).

I'm taking the MII to a rehearsal this week... we'll see how it goes.

• Members

Just downloaded the new update to FUSE. Said it also had a firmware update for the Mustang. Have not updated it yet...any differences with the new firmware?

I installed it a while ago. There probably are changes... I didn't notice any. Can't seem to find any "bug list" except for: http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=58139

• Members

I updated right after it came out. Previously, there had been a known issue with the recording level being too low via USB; after the update, it seemed to be much improved...YMMV.

I wish they would make the USB recording level... adjustable?

Archived