Still Amazed By The Mustang...

steve_man

• Members

I wish they would make the USB recording level... adjustable?

Yes that would be good.

But I find just cranking the Volume( not master) brings my MII up to a perfect level.

I did find that one of the amp models was still low, however. I think it was the supersonic model. With that one I had to put a compressor in front and it brought it up to a good level.

So, there's a fix huh?! Gonna have to update.

Lovin' my MII tho! What a great amp for EVERYTHING less live use. Not that you couldn't, but I have tube amps for live sound. And a MII for almost everything else.

:thu:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am really digging my Stang III with the Strat! Can still get mean with my SC's, and the lower gain stuff is AWESOME!

I know the super-sonic isn't the most loved of the fender amps, or models - but I did a clip not too long ago w/it and my baja tele thought it sounded pretty cool:

http://www.johnnywag.com/index.php/download_file/view/10/69/

• Members

Man that was pretty sweet, and I dig the Supersonic too!

Thanks - yeah, imo that's the best sounding "gain" amp in the mustang... not surprising, I guess.

That backing track is from the lesson loft: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2809192-Funky-Mixolydian-BT-Jam! if anyone wants to have a go at it, there's a thread over there with a bunch of good takes.

• Members

#4 Brittish Steel, # 6 Super Live Album, #24 Aussie Rock, # 67 South Of Heaven, and I am sure I am leaving some out. But I like tweaking my own too. When I get back home and can use the internet, I really need to update mine and start usinf it for recording more. Any of you guys run the footswitches?

• Members

Great tone and chops right there.

Tasty stuff.

Thanks man. Here's one from the sticky jam a while back, same guitar, amp model (supersonic) and another funk jam: http://wagner-usa.net/tunez/funkewag.mp3 ... and strangely some of the same licks! lol

edit: another sticky jam mustang clip, different vibe, two guitar tracks over the track with way different tones: http://wagner-usa.net/tunez/mrmustang_mixdown02.mp3

Guitar 1 is a twin reverb model with a ton of chorus

Guitar 2 is a deluxe reverb model, straight in

THIS is why I love this little amp so much - you can record, at night, after everyone has gone to bed and still get decent tones. I can't imagine the hoops I'd need to jump through to get a decent recording with mics, etc...

I just got the MII, and of course it's the same deal, but sounds better when played through the speaker. The MI didn't sound bad, but the II definitely sounds better. Direct recording wise, there is of course no difference.

• Members

#4 Brittish Steel, # 6 Super Live Album, #24 Aussie Rock, # 67 South Of Heaven, and I am sure I am leaving some out. But I like tweaking my own too. When I get back home and can use the internet, I really need to update mine and start usinf it for recording more. Any of you guys run the footswitches?

No, I tried the newer 2 button on my Mustang II, and it didn't work. Have not tried anything else...

• Members

I know the super-sonic isn't the most loved of the fender amps, or models - but I did a clip not too long ago w/it and my baja tele thought it sounded pretty cool:

always really like your clips ... i think the first one i ever saw was a vid of you playing some really funky stuff on a strat... really dug it... as i do this one

• Members

always really like your clips ... i think the first one i ever saw was a vid of you playing some really funky stuff on a strat... really dug it... as i do this one

Thanks man - really appreciate you saying so.

Played the MII at a rehearsal tonight - it worked out great. I'm going to bring it to a gig next friday, very low-volume dinner gig; musical wallpaper kinda thing. I'm still a little leery about it because it's such a cheap piece of electronics - so I'll definitely bring a small backup to leave in the car just in case.

FWIW, I had the MII sitting on top of my twin. Bouncing back and forth between the twin model on the MII and the twin, the twin sounded a lot deeper and the twin's reverb was nicer... but once the bass and drums kicked in... honestly, it wasn't that big of a difference. I was surprised. The MII did not sound thin, and that's what I was expecting as that is where I've seen solid state amps get weak, when playing w/others. Didn't happen though.

• Members

Sweet! Have not tried mine in a group setting yet.

Really was pleasantly surprised at how well it mixed in. Did find that I had dialed in too much reverb on the patches I had setup while running it stand-alone. The exit button->dly/rev adjustment on the amp works well. Depending on how much I use this thing, I may consider getting a III at some point just for the ease of adjustment.

• Members

One of the biggest things I like about the II has nothing to do with the tone (which is great, as well). I love the size/weight of it. So easy to take along, but still has some swat to it...
:thu:
Is the III much heavier?

Agree with you there man, definitely a nice small amp with a big sound. I like that you can crank the II up and it doesn't get splatty (the I does).

According to: http://www.fender.com/products/mustang/comparison.php

The II weighs 24lbs and the III 36lbs. Still light, imo. Height is about the same, the III is 2" wider and 2" deeper.

I'm curious if people have been able to get the III, new, at a discount at all or is the prices pretty much set at $299? I haven't seen any used III's either, but have seen several I's (going for around $50) and a few II's (going for as little as $100).

• Members

I, too, am still in love with my Mustang (I). I even made a preset for my bass and it handles it well. Not super loud but at reasonable volume it really does sound as good as any small practice amp as I've used with the bass.

Like many others have mentioned, my effect pedals have done nothing but gather dust since I've started playing my Mustang.

Unlike others, I would gig with my Mustang if I had the opportunity. I dislike the power output of the amp and as such I run the headphone out into a mixer and run that mixer into a more powerful amp setup but with the stereo effects and excellent control with the fuse software and a netbook on top of my rack gear I feel there's nothing it can't do.

Maybe not the BEST $100 I've spent on music stuff, but definitely in the top 3 $100 purchases. If you don't have one you should at least give one a shot.

Archived