Still Amazed By The Mustang...

steve_man

• Members

So this amp is better than the Microcube? I have the Micro and the little 5 inch speaker strains even at medium volume. I think I may have even damaged the speaker(gets a bit fizzy sometimes) and I never play at high volume, but lots of fuzz and gain.

Was thinking of the Vox ac4, but this is cheaper and I just play low and medium volume. I guess it has a 8 inch speaker..... Another 100 bucks, I can feel it slipping away!
:facepalm:

I don't think I've played a micro-cube or ac4, so I can't comment on whether it's better. I would say that the mustang 1 is an incredibly useful little amp. It doesn't do loud, but I've got a Twin, so I don't really need it for that. I would say if you need anything over low volume, get the Mustang 2, even better, the 3.

What the mustang 1 does do well is low volume practice and messing around w/amp models (built-in pedals are ok, reverb/mod/delay's are all very usable) and recording in silence with really decent tone.

$100 - can't go wrong!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So this amp is better than the Microcube? I have the Micro and the little 5 inch speaker strains even at medium volume. I think I may have even damaged the speaker(gets a bit fizzy sometimes) and I never play at high volume, but lots of fuzz and gain.

Was thinking of the Vox ac4, but this is cheaper and I just play low and medium volume. I guess it has a 8 inch speaker..... Another 100 bucks, I can feel it slipping away!
:facepalm:

I have owned both the Microcube, and the AC4. The Mustang blows them both out of the water, IMO. Never could get good tone out of the microcube...and while the Vox had nice tone...I didn't care for the speaker. I am still shocked at how much volume and depth the Mustang I puts out. I liked the sound from the 12" speaker of the Mustang II better, so I opted for that one. However, in the small amp category...I don't think there is an amp that can beat the Mustang I for the size/sound/money...

• Members

I don't think it would be the same if it were any smaller than the Mustang I...
:idk:

I dunno, I never get mine about 2-3 on the volume and the speaker never farts out. Give it a 5w amp and 5-6" speaker and the same guts, compact the controls a bit, let it run off batteries, and make it about 30-40% smaller (9-10" square instead of 15" square). Perfect.

• Members

I agree that a battery operated model would be cool. Maybe a small, handheld unit, headphones only? Sort of like the korg pandora?

I think it would make a pretty sweet pedal...kinda like the Vox Tonelab...small, but stellar sounding...

• Members

Yes, I think it's the first inexpensive amp to come along and knock the Vox Pathfinder out of the "best value practice/bedroom amp" category, and it does it in spades with its myriad to tones and effects.

Thems fighting words and a mighty strong claim. I had a Mustang II, and it was nice, but I still have the Pathfinder. I use it in church every Sunday as a clean pedal platform and it sounds really, really good. IMO, the only thing similar about the Pathfinder and the Mustang I is the price. The Mustang might sound good and be a cool little gadget, but the Pathfinder is a legitimately good real amp that just happens to cost only $120. It should remain the standard by which all student amps are judged.

• Members

Pathfinder is an old-school SS analog amp, no modelling at all. Just traditional Vox clean sounds, tremolo, and spring reverb. I also didn't mean my last post to sound as militant as it did...lol.

• Members

One thing that bothers me about all modeling amps. I remember when they first hit the streets. Everybody was gaga over them. Then they started to crap out. Nobody could fix 'em. Send 'em back to the manufacturer or take 'em to a factory authorized repair station and wait. And wait some more. Get it back and it's "fixed" but never the same. I'm sorry. Give me something that is easy to fix and put back into action quickly. Take your modeling amps and throw them in the fooking ocean. All pieces of junque, IMO.

• Members

Everything has its place.

When I play out, I bring a tube amp, either a hot rod deluxe or a twin. For messing around at home, in the basement, I play the mustang.

It doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing.

• Members

Great video that's pretty much convinced me to buy a Mustang 1 just for screwing around with.

I really only want a few clean tones with a decent reverb, but it sounds like there's a lot to mess around with that could be fun.

• Members

How would this amp sound with a overdrive,fuzz and wah plugged in? Not that great cause it is ss? I like the idea of the presets, but would like it to play well with effects plugged in as well.

• Members

There's a OD and Fuzz effect on the software you can tweak it with. How they compare to actual pedals I dunno, no experience with pedals just yet.

I've heard it does ok with pedals but have not actually tried it myself. I have *not* been impressed with the overdrive and fuzz pedal models built-in to the mustang - if I need those tones, I pretty much switch to a heavier amp. There are several to choose from. I do like the super-sonic model and boogie model.

• Members

The amp takes my Timmy clone really, really well. I'm not using it to boost the amp (it's digital, that won't work, you'll just clip the input).

For me on the clean settings you have to keep the gain almost all the way down. The amp doesn't have a lot of headroom before digital clipping. It would be fantastic if they could just put a clip LED on so you knew where you were.

I love the Twin clean sound. The Princeton clean and Mesa Dual Rec's are solid. The rest are mediocre to decent. Really wish it had a better Vox sound and a modded 800 or Soldano.

The stomps aside from the compressors aren't that great. Delay, chorus and reverb are good. The rest I don't use.

Archived