RIP Ravi Shankar

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

From USA today:

"Despite his fame, numerous albums and decades of world tours, Shankar's music remained a riddle to many Western ears. Shankar was amused after he and colleague Ustad Ali Akbar Khan were greeted with admiring applause when they opened the Concert for Bangladesh by twanging their sitar and sarod for a minute and a half.
If you like our tuning so much, I hope you will enjoy the playing more," he told the confused crowd, and then launched into his set."

"In 1979, he fathered Norah Jones with New York concert promoter Sue Jones, and in 1981, Sukanya Rajan, who played the tanpura at his concerts, gave birth to his daughter Anoushka."

RIP while my sitar gently weeps.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
From USA today:

"Despite his fame, numerous albums and decades of world tours, Shankar's music remained a riddle to many Western ears. Shankar was amused after he and colleague Ustad Ali Akbar Khan were greeted with admiring applause when they opened the Concert for Bangladesh by twanging their sitar and sarod for a minute and a half.
If you like our tuning so much, I hope you will enjoy the playing more," he told the confused crowd, and then launched into his set."

"In 1979, he fathered Norah Jones with New York concert promoter Sue Jones, and in 1981, Sukanya Rajan, who played the tanpura at his concerts, gave birth to his daughter Anoushka."

RIP while my sitar gently weeps.
LOL, yeah, I don't quite get Indian music, either idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspotter

View Post

He's Norah Jones' father? I did not know that.

I think (don't quote me here) that she was somewhat of a "love child". From the bit I recall about this, Nora really never had any relationship to speak of with him. Although I admired Ravi's musicianship - big time - sounded like he wasn't always the best of human beings.

• Members

I was in awe of his playing and a bit surprised to hear that he'd passed on. He was indeed a bit older than I would have guessed.

The performance that long ago caught my attention was from the Monterey Pop Festival. But unlike the other musicians that attended (peace, love, dope) he was the only one that demanded payment. Can't say as I blame him for that, after all, he wasn't a kid at that point like most of the performers were in '67. But maybe he should have also set his sitar on fire.

j/k

But yeah, every once in a while, I've had to take time out to watch this performance again. It's fun to watch the notables in the audience go slack jawed over his prowess on the sitar and amazing musicianship thumb.gif

Camera finally focuses on the performers at around 7:00 He was an amazing shredder. wink.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5sRbmJdsFI

hmmm, the embedding has quit working confused.gif

edit: I finally got the embedding to work, but it wasn't clip and paste like it used to be. I copied the format from Ratae to get it to work, i.e. added youtube=;h5sRbmJdsFI inside the first set of brackets and then it took. confused.gif Wassup?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fretmonster View Post
That was a great film IMO the way it captured the mood of the time and none better than Shankar and Country Joe to trip out and make time stand still. Cool stuff.
Indeed, that was cool. And as simple as it was, that was still groundbreaking. You can see that with some of the folks there that are mesmerized.

It's interesting for me to think that I was 10 yo then so every youngster in that crowd would now be mid '60s to pushing 70.

Archived