MF ships Les Pauls without double boxing it...

Little Ricky

• Members

I once bought a vintage Silvertone guitar case with a built in amp and also contained a guitar. It was shipped in nothing but shrink wrap - NO BOX. Needless to say the chipboard case was shredded. That one was NOT the shipping company's fault

• Members

I bought a Cort Jim Triggs sig guitar and case from a forumite. I get a letter first from him with a key inside. I am thinking huh? A few days later I get a card from USPS advising I have a parcel to pick up. I go to the store and the lady walks out from the back carrying a guitar case by the handle. No box, no shrink wrap no nothing. It is secured with a couple zip ties hooked end to end around the locked case, locked.
guitar was fine but the case was beat to living sh!t.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
I bought a Cort Jim Triggs sig guitar and case from a forumite. I get a letter first from him with a key inside. I am thinking huh? A few days later I get a card from USPS advising I have a parcel to pick up. I go to the store and the lady walks out from the back carrying a guitar case by the handle. No box, no shrink wrap no nothing. It is secured with a couple zip ties hooked end to end around the locked case, locked.
guitar was fine but the case was beat to living sh!t.
Same thing happened to me with an SG off of Ebay. UPS guy shows up at the door and hands me the case. Apparently the seller asked his girlfriend to take it to The UPS Store for packing and shipping, but she decided to skimp on the first part. Made it safe and sound, though I did get a partial refund for the sheer embarrasment and stupidity of the situation.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeArta View Post
Presumably, Gibson doesn't double-box. I got an LP Jr. Special from MF a bout about 10 days ago in the gig bag with a small cardboard fitting over the headstock inside a single Gibson box .
That is how my LP Jr. Special shipped, it survived. All of my other Gibson's shipped over-packed/double boxed. I think the Gibson box alone is supposed to be sufficient to ship, so me thinks mf has a claim.

Sorry about the guitar.

Good luck

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Little Ricky View Post
and then they wonder why I'm returning a brand new guitar with a broken headstock.

They shipped a new LP Jr. (which comes in a gig bag) in the small Gibson box. What were they thinking?
Sam Ash puts the orig gibson box into an larger shipping box; my new meloday maker special arrived like new...

• Members

The last 3 Gibsons that I've bought, actually that last four, have come in the factory cardboard box, you know the one with blue tape on the ends. Inside the box, the OHSC is banging around loosely from side to side, with a small little crushable wedge at each ends. I always expect the worst outcome, but have been lucky. I guess that it is in the numbers, and if the odds didn't favor their method, they would add more packing material. At least something to suspend the case within the dead space. Would be good to hear the reasoning for this practice. I don't blame the reseller.

• Members

I'm guessing that some bean counter ascertained that what they save in packing costs is more an what they pay in damage claims.

If you drop any guitar box on the headstock side from more than a couple feet, I think you're looking at damage, no matter how well it's packed, unless its in a HSC.

I got a new acoustic shipped to me the other day in a box that wasn't really big enough for the HSC. Thankfully, there was no damage, but the box was slightly bowed outward. So, it really was just scuff protection for the case.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by axegrinder View Post
It is the shipper's fault NOT the carrier's fault. The carriers are pretty clear about what constitutes safe packing. A business with a shipping account knows what can happen, trust me. With the volume that MF ships they probably know better than anyone what they can get away with, and I think they take a lot of calculated risks. My LP tribute came from M123 doubled boxed (gig bag inside factory carton inside a bigger carton stuffed with some brown paper). A typical mahogany neck without a volute wouldn't always survive in that packaging. Mine is a maple neck with a volute so the risk was lower.

I've seen plenty of stupidity from MF. I think they just don't care as much about the merchandise as the people buying it. I'm still miffed that they packed a cast iron mic stand loose inside a factory Squier carton with my guitar. icon_lol.gif
... {censored} happens man. sometimes packages take an extra tumble. it's no one's fault.

How quick all you guys are to point the finger. {censored} happens... that's why they have insurance on their items shipped and why you can send it back and get another one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Kuz929 View Post
... {censored} happens man. sometimes packages take an extra tumble. it's no one's fault.

How quick all you guys are to point the finger. {censored} happens... that's why they have insurance on their items shipped and why you can send it back and get another one.
You're absolutely right, {censored} does happen. You can say it's nobody's fault all you want, but these cases are resolved by somebody losing money. Insurance money doesn't come from a magic pot at the end of a rainbow. Bottom line: UPS and MF have a relationship that functions such that they BOTH make money.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff View Post
Oh, believe me, I've seen Smart Car crash vids and thought "yeah the car is pretty much in-tact but the people on the inside must be scrambled eggs". Really not sure why people go all bananas on the internet when a guitar shows up broken though. Yesh, MF could have packaged it better and yesh, UPS/Fedex/whatever could have been more gentile; in the end though, isht happens and you move on. Just call up MF and they'll fix the situation, right?
Jeff, you just don't understand. We gotta get to the bottom of this. The bottom I tell ya !

icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ultraworld View Post
Your biggest mistake is buying something that important sight unseen. I have to play through a lot of LP's to get to one that sounds right. They use the PLEK system incorrectly as well, so playing it is even more crucial. Buy a set neck Carvin.
??????????????
Right, I'll grab the first flight to San Diego.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraworld

View Post

Your biggest mistake is buying something that important sight unseen. I have to play through a lot of LP's to get to one that sounds right. They use the PLEK system incorrectly as well, so playing it is even more crucial. Buy a set neck Carvin.

What's Carvin's price matching policy? smile.gif

Archived