"That's my amp and I'm setting it the way I wish it." Chuck Berry and Keith Richards.

HanSolo

• Members

I don't have any ill feelings towards the guys, but my honest opinion is that Chuck Berry converted a few blues songs by adding a jumped-up beat and a bunch of variations of the same guitar riff. Then Keith Richards copied him and called it a career. Good on them for being able to make that work. It's just basic blues.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert Stumblin

View Post

Thank you for that special report from Uptightistan. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

This is a discussion forum. You can join the fan club of those guys if you don't want to hear opinions that differ from yours. Feeling defensive about a couple of basic guitarists is more uptight...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert Stumblin

View Post

Thank you for that special report from Uptightistan. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

This is a discussion forum. You can join the fan club of those guys if you don't want to hear opinions that differ from yours. Feeling defensive about a couple of basic guitarists is more uptight...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherAnnePeel

View Post

Nope. Far more to it than that.

Nope - my opinion is based on listening to them and watching them perform. Without the record labels, producers, engineers, and hired studio guns KR wouldn't be considered the trailblazing pioneer that some think he is.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherAnnePeel

View Post

Nope. Far more to it than that.

Nope - my opinion is based on listening to them and watching them perform. Without the record labels, producers, engineers, and hired studio guns KR wouldn't be considered the trailblazing pioneer that some think he is.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koiwoi

View Post

I don't have any ill feelings towards the guys, but my honest opinion is that Chuck Berry converted a few blues songs by adding a jumped-up beat and a bunch of variations of the same guitar riff. Then Keith Richards copied him and called it a career. Good on them for being able to make that work. It's just basic blues.

I think that's totally understating the revolution of the genre that both of those musiscians imparted on the fundamentals.

I'd be careful about that kind of blasphemy around these parts.

Depiction of ancient HCEG practices:

StoryOTB058_p143_StoningTheBlasphemer.jp

But even MUCH TO CHUCK BERRY'S CREDIT, in one documentary about him (maybe this one, can't remember) he says, "nothing new under the sun". So there is that other side to him that is very modest about his contribution to the genesis of Rock n Roll.

• Members

View Post

I think that's totally understating the revolution of the genre that both of those musiscians imparted on the fundamentals.

But even MUCH TO CHUCK BERRY'S CREDIT, in one documentary about him (maybe this one, can't remember) he says, "nothing new under the sun". So there is that other side to him that is very modest about his contribution to the genesis of Rock n Roll.

• Members

So Keif tried to turn down Chuck so he could step on him...why am I not surprised...

If you do a little research, after Jimi blew Eric off a stage in London, the stones wouldn't let Jimi up to play with them..

Then if you watch 'Shine a light, they picked the {censored}tiest out of character songs, off keys for for the people they had play with them'....I mean when Christina Aquilerra struggles with a song, you know it was a set up.

Then you have Mick making a change in the middle of a blues song, stumps Buddy, Keif dancing around him in his face during a solo..Buddy can't do anything..

Then you have the {censored}ing stage hogs at the checkboard climbing over patrons to play with Muddy, trying to get some respect as being 'blues guys'.

The Stones are the most over rated bunch of unprofessional dip{censored}s at they get but a lesson in how to make it in music...buy your heavy riff hook songs, image over substance, find a frontman nut with tons of energy then hype hype hype.

Seriously if it came out that they had Jimi wacked in London, I wouldn't be surprised, They are just notorious for stepping on others to make themselves look good.

• Members

So Keif tried to turn down Chuck so he could step on him...why am I not surprised...

If you do a little research, after Jimi blew Eric off a stage in London, the stones wouldn't let Jimi up to play with them..

Then if you watch 'Shine a light, they picked the {censored}tiest out of character songs, off keys for for the people they had play with them'....I mean when Christina Aquilerra struggles with a song, you know it was a set up.

Then you have Mick making a change in the middle of a blues song, stumps Buddy, Keif dancing around him in his face during a solo..Buddy can't do anything..

Then you have the {censored}ing stage hogs at the checkboard climbing over patrons to play with Muddy, trying to get some respect as being 'blues guys'.

The Stones are the most over rated bunch of unprofessional dip{censored}s at they get but a lesson in how to make it in music...buy your heavy riff hook songs, image over substance, find a frontman nut with tons of energy then hype hype hype.

Seriously if it came out that they had Jimi wacked in London, I wouldn't be surprised, They are just notorious for stepping on others to make themselves look good.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post

It's just my opinion. I don't think they added that much.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post

It's just my opinion. I don't think they added that much.

• Members

View Post

Yes, you're right. It is a discussion forum. But what you first posted wasn't exactly "discussion" now, was it? It was pretty much: "Those guys suck! haha" Not even "In my opinion..." See, that's at least making an attempt at actual discussion.

It's not that I don't want to hear opinions that differ from mine. I would just prefer, for the sake of discussion, that they be intelligently put forth. Cuz, ya know, it's a discussion forum.

• Members

View Post

Yes, you're right. It is a discussion forum. But what you first posted wasn't exactly "discussion" now, was it? It was pretty much: "Those guys suck! haha" Not even "In my opinion..." See, that's at least making an attempt at actual discussion.

It's not that I don't want to hear opinions that differ from mine. I would just prefer, for the sake of discussion, that they be intelligently put forth. Cuz, ya know, it's a discussion forum.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples

View Post

Good post. Even if I don't agree with it all you had some fire in this.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples

View Post

Good post. Even if I don't agree with it all you had some fire in this.

• Members

With a career as long and prolific as the Stones have had, anybody can look at their music and find some evidence for whatever case they want to make. I don't think anyone claims the Stones weren't playing blues and Berry numbers early on, but there are also a lot of songs in their catalog that are some really interesting departures from that. In the end, it really boils down to the subjective experience of music. Their songs and playing either grabs you or it doesn't. For me, it grabs in a big big way.

• Members

With a career as long and prolific as the Stones have had, anybody can look at their music and find some evidence for whatever case they want to make. I don't think anyone claims the Stones weren't playing blues and Berry numbers early on, but there are also a lot of songs in their catalog that are some really interesting departures from that. In the end, it really boils down to the subjective experience of music. Their songs and playing either grabs you or it doesn't. For me, it grabs in a big big way.

• Members

Back to the original topic ... sort of. It's amazing how Chuck was such a small minded (sounding), difficult person to work with. He puts off a real peavish vibe. But when they finally get him playing, his personality blooms into a whole different, bigger person. Fascinating.

• Members

Back to the original topic ... sort of. It's amazing how Chuck was such a small minded (sounding), difficult person to work with. He puts off a real peavish vibe. But when they finally get him playing, his personality blooms into a whole different, bigger person. Fascinating.

Archived