What guitar makes you the most creative?

ajympt

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ajympt

View Post

What guitar do you play that makes you "get out of your box" ?

Basically any guitar I play shortly after I get high. Fifteen minutes to an hour after blazing up is a golden time for me as far as playing goes: everything seems to come so much smoother and with little effort, the ideas just seem to flow directly my fingers without the brain getting in the way, and particularly varying dynamics and timing comes almost without any effort at all.

And my CV 60s Strat seems best of all for that effect.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey

View Post

This is an instant funk breaker. I have two of them--one is outfitted with Harmonic Gloves:

IMG_3082_2_001.JPG

3845851368_e8f2ae5e9e_o.jpg

I like to use them on my LP Baritone:

bari.jpg

What exactly is that thing - assuming a highly adjustable capo ?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey

View Post

This is an instant funk breaker. I have two of them--one is outfitted with Harmonic Gloves:

IMG_3082_2_001.JPG

3845851368_e8f2ae5e9e_o.jpg

I like to use them on my LP Baritone:

bari.jpg

• Members

I've had some seriously crap guitars over the years......some of them are still hanging on my wall. frown.gif

But usually they yield at least one tune, and the crappier that are the more interesting it turns out.

Recently it's been my '05 SG Standard and my '11 BCR Mockingbird Exotic Classic but that's just because I'm focusing on a classic/doom metal project.

• Members

I've had some seriously crap guitars over the years......some of them are still hanging on my wall. frown.gif

But usually they yield at least one tune, and the crappier that are the more interesting it turns out.

Recently it's been my '05 SG Standard and my '11 BCR Mockingbird Exotic Classic but that's just because I'm focusing on a classic/doom metal project.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ajympt

View Post

Yes and they work great. You can use them to capo individual strings and play either behind or in front it or both! You can attach the little rubber feet and position them on the harmonic nodes for really cool efx. Works on a 12 stringer too.

• Members

The yellow one, absolutely:

100_0589.jpg

Don't let the single pickup simplicity mislead you. This guitar can do everything except wammy-bar tricks.

I own a fantastic Strat i have owned since 1978, 2 great Teles (a Nocaster Relic and a '76 Tele Custom), a '91 Gibson ES335 Dot, a Gibson Historic '54 Les Paul goldtop and other very nice pieces. I have some fine guitars but this one yellow '04 Melody Maker has that special magic. The wood is right and it has tone for days. It just all came together the day they made that guitar. If others from that time and model are remotely as good as mine, I could see them becoming collectible stepchildren. The guitar just works. It does everything right. When a guitar is as good as this thing you just don't need a second pickup. The totally stock tone control is a masterwork.

I purchased the later model sunburst MM because it has a wraptail - my very most favorite electric guitar bridge, but the sunburst MM was not in the same league as my yellow one. If you'll look closely you can see that I had it modified for an actual P90 pickup. I have tried various GOOD P90s in it (including a vintage Gibson) but it just never got on that special level where my yellow one is. The sunburst is a good guitar and I'm glad to own it as well, but that yellow one had it all happen the day they glued it together. It's in the wood.

If you had the chance to play it, you would see.

Archived