I HATED Modelling Amps, Then There's Fender's Mustang.

Bbreaker

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a Vox Valvetronix VT40+ and a Fender Super Champ XD (that most people rave about), that I sold. Not sure why I wasn't happy with them, but love the Mustang? Maybe it is as simple as the Mustang nailing the AC/DC tone out of the box with it's Aussie Rock preset. I have also had fun creating a couple of my own presets. Maybe in a year I will be looking for something different. Who knows.

I also have a Yamaha THR-5 that is a lot of fun for what it is.

• Members

I had a Vox Valvetronix VT40+ and a Fender Super Champ XD (that most people rave about), that I sold. Not sure why I wasn't happy with them, but love the Mustang? Maybe it is as simple as the Mustang nailing the AC/DC tone out of the box with it's Aussie Rock preset. I have also had fun creating a couple of my own presets. Maybe in a year I will be looking for something different. Who knows.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by WhatDoIKnow

View Post

I do really like my Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX, but it was a series that was a step above the other line. I bought my son a Valvetronix AD50VT and was not that impressed with its tone. Not bad for the money, but it just seemed sorta stifled in most all modes. And that Super Champ XD, yeah, I got one of those too. To this day I still don't know what all the raves were about. I forgot to even include that in my little list of stuff below. But for some reason that amp seems to really lack any real bottom end for it. I've got other 1 x 10 combos that are a lot more impressive. Some folks just say you have to hook them up to an extension cab for them to "do their thing", but I just think they should do a bit better on their own. However, I just recently drug it out of hibernation and I've been enjoying it these last couple days (with lowered expectations). It's got some good tones coming out of it, it's just that they aren't big. My Orange Crush PiX CR35LDX could kick its ass. redface.gif

I recently got the Yamaha THR-10. Initially I was a bit disappointed since it tends to fart out fairly easy, but now that I've dropped the expectations to an even lower playing level, I do have to say I'm enjoying the thing. It's really a pretty cool concept. But I was initially, and I still am, impressed with the spatial characteristics of the tone of those things. It's now in my living room on an end table. It will probably get the most noodling use out there. Later on I may get around to playing with its USB realm.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by WhatDoIKnow

View Post

I do really like my Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX, but it was a series that was a step above the other line. I bought my son a Valvetronix AD50VT and was not that impressed with its tone. Not bad for the money, but it just seemed sorta stifled in most all modes. And that Super Champ XD, yeah, I got one of those too. To this day I still don't know what all the raves were about. I forgot to even include that in my little list of stuff below. But for some reason that amp seems to really lack any real bottom end for it. I've got other 1 x 10 combos that are a lot more impressive. Some folks just say you have to hook them up to an extension cab for them to "do their thing", but I just think they should do a bit better on their own. However, I just recently drug it out of hibernation and I've been enjoying it these last couple days (with lowered expectations). It's got some good tones coming out of it, it's just that they aren't big. My Orange Crush PiX CR35LDX could kick its ass. redface.gif

I recently got the Yamaha THR-10. Initially I was a bit disappointed since it tends to fart out fairly easy, but now that I've dropped the expectations to an even lower playing level, I do have to say I'm enjoying the thing. It's really a pretty cool concept. But I was initially, and I still am, impressed with the spatial characteristics of the tone of those things. It's now in my living room on an end table. It will probably get the most noodling use out there. Later on I may get around to playing with its USB realm.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son

View Post

I got my THR-10 in October. I'm using the USB for the first time tonight. It's records pretty nicely!

I need to give it a try. So far I've avoided (not on purpose) mixing computers with my guitar hobby. I'm usually burnt out on having to try to figure out new technology at work, so when I'm home I like to just "plug and play". But I need to get with it. I'm missing out on too many things like tweaking and recording. Yesterday I just ordered the Eleven Rack bundle from Sweetwater. If I don't get it on with all its software add-ons, then shoot me now. icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

I got my THR-10 in October. I'm using the USB for the first time tonight. It's records pretty nicely!

I need to give it a try. So far I've avoided (not on purpose) mixing computers with my guitar hobby. I'm usually burnt out on having to try to figure out new technology at work, so when I'm home I like to just "plug and play". But I need to get with it. I'm missing out on too many things like tweaking and recording. Yesterday I just ordered the Eleven Rack bundle from Sweetwater. If I don't get it on with all its software add-ons, then shoot me now. icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

Other than Tech21 NYC products, I also have always hated modelers. Then I bought the Yamaha THR10. It's the exception for me; I still don't care for the Mustang.

Different strokes...

51wDyvOpuNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

+100%

I loathe plugging into any non-tube amp. I wish that wasn't the case, but when I can't blast a tube amp to my satisfaction(late at night, etc), I'd just as soon play through my Pandora and head phones. I also make an exception with the Tech 21 Sansamp pedals-none of which I own at the moment, but I have owned 3 and they're the shizzle.

Incidentally, I did have a Mustang I briefly-it is truly a fantastic amp with tons of cool features, but I couldn't get into it freak.gif

• Members

View Post

Other than Tech21 NYC products, I also have always hated modelers. Then I bought the Yamaha THR10. It's the exception for me; I still don't care for the Mustang.

Different strokes...

51wDyvOpuNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

+100%

I loathe plugging into any non-tube amp. I wish that wasn't the case, but when I can't blast a tube amp to my satisfaction(late at night, etc), I'd just as soon play through my Pandora and head phones. I also make an exception with the Tech 21 Sansamp pedals-none of which I own at the moment, but I have owned 3 and they're the shizzle.

Incidentally, I did have a Mustang I briefly-it is truly a fantastic amp with tons of cool features, but I couldn't get into it freak.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man

View Post

dude... get a kemper profiling amp... nothing else on the market can touch it... i've spent a fair bit of time with the eleven rack.... while it's a cool product, the kemper wipes the floor with it

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man

View Post

dude... get a kemper profiling amp... nothing else on the market can touch it... i've spent a fair bit of time with the eleven rack.... while it's a cool product, the kemper wipes the floor with it

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mistersully

View Post

I give the Kemper and the AxeFX equal marks, but the next step down is a big one, although still usable like the Mustang and a fraction of the price.

• Members

View Post

I give the Kemper and the AxeFX equal marks, but the next step down is a big one, although still usable like the Mustang and a fraction of the price.

• Members

View Post

It doesn't "wipe the floor" with an axe fx II! Get a life!

• Members

View Post

It doesn't "wipe the floor" with an axe fx II! Get a life!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by koiwoi View Post
i absolutely agree the mustang is cool... i didn't mention the kemper in relation to the mustang, just the eleven rack... and specifically to Gas Man, who i know buys a lot of gear

i don't however give the axefx and the kemper equal marks... not for guitar tones that sound (and feel) like guitar amps... i believe the kemper to be way ahead

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by koiwoi View Post
i absolutely agree the mustang is cool... i didn't mention the kemper in relation to the mustang, just the eleven rack... and specifically to Gas Man, who i know buys a lot of gear

i don't however give the axefx and the kemper equal marks... not for guitar tones that sound (and feel) like guitar amps... i believe the kemper to be way ahead

• Members

Hmmm, I'm getting a bit confused, when the arguments about the axe fx II come in here. But I take it either one is better, but they are both quite a bit more than the $699 for the Eleven Rack. Am I to infer that the Mustang amp provides much of what the Eleven Rack provides? I would think the Eleven Rack would be better than that, but OTOH, I haven't run it through anything but its own combo system so far.

But yeah, I could possibly be persuaded to pulling the plug on my 11 R order.

Thanks for the comments.

Archived