I HATED Modelling Amps, Then There's Fender's Mustang.

Bbreaker

• Members

Hmmm, I'm getting a bit confused, when the arguments about the axe fx II come in here. But I take it either one is better, but they are both quite a bit more than the $699 for the Eleven Rack. Am I to infer that the Mustang amp provides much of what the Eleven Rack provides? I would think the Eleven Rack would be better than that, but OTOH, I haven't run it through anything but its own combo system so far.

But yeah, I could possibly be persuaded to pulling the plug on my 11 R order.

Thanks for the comments.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by mistersully

View Post

i absolutely agree the mustang is cool... i didn't mention the kemper in relation to the mustang, just the eleven rack... and specifically to Gas Man, who i know buys a lot of gear

i don't however give the axefx and the kemper equal marks... not for guitar tones that sound (and feel) like guitar amps... i believe the kemper to be way ahead

Okay, that comment came in while I was typing. That helps my bit of confusion that gets going there. And hopefully, next year I'll be the lean mean GAS Man and go on a gear diet. Either that or get myself committed. redface.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mistersully

View Post

i absolutely agree the mustang is cool... i didn't mention the kemper in relation to the mustang, just the eleven rack... and specifically to Gas Man, who i know buys a lot of gear

i don't however give the axefx and the kemper equal marks... not for guitar tones that sound (and feel) like guitar amps... i believe the kemper to be way ahead

Okay, that comment came in while I was typing. That helps my bit of confusion that gets going there. And hopefully, next year I'll be the lean mean GAS Man and go on a gear diet. Either that or get myself committed. redface.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
i'll jump out because i don't mean to jack the thread... my intention was to be helpful, and see you save your money in the long term... over the last few years i spent a lot of money on amps... a lot icon_lol.gif... since getting the kemper i have no interest at all in amps...all my tube amps are gone... it's everything i need, especially for recording

i'll get some clips up soon

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
i'll jump out because i don't mean to jack the thread... my intention was to be helpful, and see you save your money in the long term... over the last few years i spent a lot of money on amps... a lot icon_lol.gif... since getting the kemper i have no interest at all in amps...all my tube amps are gone... it's everything i need, especially for recording

i'll get some clips up soon

• Members

I couldn't get into my M I, and sold it. For modelling, I prefer to use Amplitube 3 or Scuffham amps. Since I am not gigging at this point, this is fine for me. For actual playing out, I have a BOSS GT10 (which is up in a cupboard) a Peavey Classic 30 (which is down in the cellar) and a Blackheart Killer Ant (which rarely gets used).

• Members

I couldn't get into my M I, and sold it. For modelling, I prefer to use Amplitube 3 or Scuffham amps. Since I am not gigging at this point, this is fine for me. For actual playing out, I have a BOSS GT10 (which is up in a cupboard) a Peavey Classic 30 (which is down in the cellar) and a Blackheart Killer Ant (which rarely gets used).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wagdog

View Post

If you're planning on gigging with it, you might want to get a III.

I have a II, and use it for late night jamming (just like you mentioned above). I plug the output of my computer sound into the aux, plug the headphones into the amp, and jam away to backing tracks, record direct w/the usb, whatever - it's awesome for that.

I did play it w/a band rehearsal in my basement, but chickened out taking it to an actual gig - just didn't think it would be loud enough.

The III, at 100w, should cut it at a small sized club.

Sweet thanks!

I was wondering if it would cut it or not. For what I am using it for right now I think the II would work. However if I were to add a few more members to the group, especially a drummer. I would be kicking myself for not getting something a little bigger.

They have a used Mustang IV downtown here for a good price. I might take a look at that. Overall size and weight might scare me back to only one speaker but we will see.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wagdog

View Post

If you're planning on gigging with it, you might want to get a III.

I have a II, and use it for late night jamming (just like you mentioned above). I plug the output of my computer sound into the aux, plug the headphones into the amp, and jam away to backing tracks, record direct w/the usb, whatever - it's awesome for that.

I did play it w/a band rehearsal in my basement, but chickened out taking it to an actual gig - just didn't think it would be loud enough.

The III, at 100w, should cut it at a small sized club.

Sweet thanks!

I was wondering if it would cut it or not. For what I am using it for right now I think the II would work. However if I were to add a few more members to the group, especially a drummer. I would be kicking myself for not getting something a little bigger.

They have a used Mustang IV downtown here for a good price. I might take a look at that. Overall size and weight might scare me back to only one speaker but we will see.

• Members

I got a Mustang I a couple of years ago, didn't dig it, and left it in the corner for about a year. Then I got the bright idea to hook it up to my laptop and start messing with the advanced settings, and it came alive. The stock presets all suck but if you get into editing them (especially the Sag and Bias, which are critical), the payoff is huge.

• Members

I got a Mustang I a couple of years ago, didn't dig it, and left it in the corner for about a year. Then I got the bright idea to hook it up to my laptop and start messing with the advanced settings, and it came alive. The stock presets all suck but if you get into editing them (especially the Sag and Bias, which are critical), the payoff is huge.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by billythegoat

View Post

Sweet thanks!

Fwiw, size wise, the III is not much bigger than the II, and just a bit heavier. The IV is quite a jump on both accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyer160

View Post

Yeah, you absolutely have hit the presets and change them. The stock tones are usable, but not great.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by billythegoat

View Post

Sweet thanks!

Fwiw, size wise, the III is not much bigger than the II, and just a bit heavier. The IV is quite a jump on both accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyer160

View Post

Yeah, you absolutely have hit the presets and change them. The stock tones are usable, but not great.

• Members

I have a Roland Micro Cube and it sounds great to me for practice and recording with headphones or line-out, although the speaker really blows. I like the simplicity of the RMC, but I haven't tried a Mustang or other modeling amps (other than a Peavey and a Line 6 UX1 interface). It seems like most complaints about the RMC are based on the speaker. How does the Mustang series compare to the Micro Cube in terms of tone?

• Members

I have a Roland Micro Cube and it sounds great to me for practice and recording with headphones or line-out, although the speaker really blows. I like the simplicity of the RMC, but I haven't tried a Mustang or other modeling amps (other than a Peavey and a Line 6 UX1 interface). It seems like most complaints about the RMC are based on the speaker. How does the Mustang series compare to the Micro Cube in terms of tone?

Archived