Buying from China direct to your door - Amazing!

Virgman

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fhh

View Post

. . . . . On eBay, one possible incentive for cheap sales is to get more/keep the positive feedback. . . . .

There have, in the past, been scams where a seller sells many items of something that is incredibly inexpensive - and sells them for a practically give-away price. Then, they have a seller rating of "100" and a thousand or so "very satisfied" ratings. Then they sell "new Apple MacBooks" for U.S. $400, get about 200 orders, and abscond with the cash (since there never were any MacBooks for sale).

I think the Factory-direct sales we're seeing now, however, aren't that extraordinary and mostly reflect the actual low cost of many things. I know I've recently got Apple-like cables and HDMI stuff and other things for very cheap and with free shipping - which I guess throws me off, too.

Greg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius

View Post

That's excellent news. We need more companies that are willing to invest here at home. IMO, it's the only real way to get us out of the quagmire we're in.

EDIT: Maybe someday somebody will invest in the Harmony Central forum so it won't continue to run like dog {censored}.

$4 billion being invested into NY State by a computer-chip investment deal will also include Samsung, GlobalFoundries and the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...te-cuomo-says/

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius

View Post

That's excellent news. We need more companies that are willing to invest here at home. IMO, it's the only real way to get us out of the quagmire we're in.

EDIT: Maybe someday somebody will invest in the Harmony Central forum so it won't continue to run like dog {censored}.

$4 billion being invested into NY State by a computer-chip investment deal will also include Samsung, GlobalFoundries and the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...te-cuomo-says/

• Members

I don't understand how shipping from China is so inexpensive.

I'll buy something from a store 100 miles away; the items costs $10 and the shipping $5. I'll order the same thing from China; the entire cost is just $5, it's shipped half-way around the world, and they're still making a profit!

• Members

I'll buy something from a store 100 miles away; the items costs $10 and the shipping $5. I'll order the same thing from China; the entire cost is just $5, it's shipped half-way around the world, and they're still making a profit!

• Members

My two Atomic Reactor FR amps are American designed, Chinese-made. They're top quality items, no complaints whatsoever. I agree that just because something is made in China doesn't mean it's automatically junk. Of course companies looking to produce low cost, low quality goods can get them made cheap in China.

I probably wouldn't order something like a Gibson Les Paul from China. I'd be afraid it was a fake.

• Members

My two Atomic Reactor FR amps are American designed, Chinese-made. They're top quality items, no complaints whatsoever. I agree that just because something is made in China doesn't mean it's automatically junk. Of course companies looking to produce low cost, low quality goods can get them made cheap in China.

I probably wouldn't order something like a Gibson Les Paul from China. I'd be afraid it was a fake.

• Members

Remember when Japanese was a synonym for poor quality electrical and electronic goods?

Japanese transistor radio syndrome??

and everyone laughed until they got it together and dominated the market?

Its a natural cycle happening again.

US companies did it, the Japanese did it, the Chinese are doing it, later someone else will do it.

• Members

Remember when Japanese was a synonym for poor quality electrical and electronic goods?

Japanese transistor radio syndrome??

and everyone laughed until they got it together and dominated the market?

Its a natural cycle happening again.

US companies did it, the Japanese did it, the Chinese are doing it, later someone else will do it.

• Members

One of my other hobbies is building and flying RC helicopters, both conventional and multirotor. Most of the R&D for the avionics, navigation (GPS nav with waypoints), first person view video, and mechanics is coming out of China. I like to support my local hobby shops, but most (one exception, Atlanta Hobby) don't carry the inventory and sometimes a bit behind technology wise with what is available on the web in the US and directly from China. If the Chinese hadn't gotten into the navigation side big time, the type of UAV platform that one can build for around $1500 would cost many tens of thousands of dollars.

That's why I still get a kick out some really paridigm shifting products still being created in the US, like the Segway, Apple iPad (anyone use guitar apps?), and more recently Tesla Motors. A client of mine took delivery of a Tesla S a few weeks ago. I got a through walk-through and without a doubt it is a fundamental new way of relating to the automobile. More like a rolling iPad than a car.

• Members

One of my other hobbies is building and flying RC helicopters, both conventional and multirotor. Most of the R&D for the avionics, navigation (GPS nav with waypoints), first person view video, and mechanics is coming out of China. I like to support my local hobby shops, but most (one exception, Atlanta Hobby) don't carry the inventory and sometimes a bit behind technology wise with what is available on the web in the US and directly from China. If the Chinese hadn't gotten into the navigation side big time, the type of UAV platform that one can build for around $1500 would cost many tens of thousands of dollars.

That's why I still get a kick out some really paridigm shifting products still being created in the US, like the Segway, Apple iPad (anyone use guitar apps?), and more recently Tesla Motors. A client of mine took delivery of a Tesla S a few weeks ago. I got a through walk-through and without a doubt it is a fundamental new way of relating to the automobile. More like a rolling iPad than a car.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cratz2

View Post

Yeah, but Hershey and Nestle actually petitioned the FDA to change the definition of 'chocolate' so they could attempt to provide a lesser product...

I can't hold either of them up in very high respect. idn_smilie.gif

Wasn't aware of that. Lobbyists need to die, DIE!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cratz2

View Post

Yeah, but Hershey and Nestle actually petitioned the FDA to change the definition of 'chocolate' so they could attempt to provide a lesser product...

I can't hold either of them up in very high respect. idn_smilie.gif

Wasn't aware of that. Lobbyists need to die, DIE!

• Members

I had to replace the tuners on a sub $100 guitar for a friends kid... options were around $35 for a set from a US seller ot $7 direct from China. I opted for the $7 ones as that was the only sensible option and they were flawless in fit, finish and funtionality (sealed mini-Grover types).

I have ordered electronics that were DOA, took months to arrive, etc.and also had one fraudulent charge on my account in the past, so buyer beware.

• Members

I had to replace the tuners on a sub $100 guitar for a friends kid... options were around $35 for a set from a US seller ot $7 direct from China. I opted for the $7 ones as that was the only sensible option and they were flawless in fit, finish and funtionality (sealed mini-Grover types).

I have ordered electronics that were DOA, took months to arrive, etc.and also had one fraudulent charge on my account in the past, so buyer beware.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF786

View Post

because the gov. most likely subsidized the shipping. The entire country is geared to export. Probably 20 years ahead of the US and most of the world that way.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF786

View Post

because the gov. most likely subsidized the shipping. The entire country is geared to export. Probably 20 years ahead of the US and most of the world that way.

Archived