Buying from China direct to your door - Amazing!

Virgman

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My best friend is from China and worked in the import export business.
If all you care about is the price you get what you pay for.
Quality products can be found as well if you look.
Establishing connections seems to be the key which is what GFS and others do .
You can cut out the middle man and save money sometimes and get things shipped promptly sometimes
its a chance you take.
References and reviews can be very helpful

• Members

My best friend is from China and worked in the import export business.
If all you care about is the price you get what you pay for.
Quality products can be found as well if you look.
Establishing connections seems to be the key which is what GFS and others do .
You can cut out the middle man and save money sometimes and get things shipped promptly sometimes
its a chance you take.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gardo

View Post

its a chance you take.

+100

When dealing with Alibaba or tradetang the best way to shop is with the folks with great reviews

I should also state that the above two seem to be better than dealing with any of the China vendors on ebay for whatever reason.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gardo

View Post

its a chance you take.

+100

When dealing with Alibaba or tradetang the best way to shop is with the folks with great reviews

I should also state that the above two seem to be better than dealing with any of the China vendors on ebay for whatever reason.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Abene

View Post

Again,

Most often with the guitar parts being manufactured in China I will say this:

They are not to the standard specs that they should be and you will have to make changes around what you are building.

Like Tele necks with rounded heels that are wider heels than the standard fender specs or pickguards and or pick up plates that are not standard

Bridges that are not quite to spec for the size of the American guitars.

If you are building from scratch this is not so much of an issue but for replacement parts you will eventually run into problems.

I have boxes of examples

Yep. I just tried putting some chinese P-90 covers on my gibson. Just a hair off, but enough that they won't fit. I had to ream the pole piece openings and file down the inside collars to make them fit. I learned a lesson- just pay for the OEM parts if you are retrofitting.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Abene

View Post

Again,

Most often with the guitar parts being manufactured in China I will say this:

They are not to the standard specs that they should be and you will have to make changes around what you are building.

Like Tele necks with rounded heels that are wider heels than the standard fender specs or pickguards and or pick up plates that are not standard

Bridges that are not quite to spec for the size of the American guitars.

If you are building from scratch this is not so much of an issue but for replacement parts you will eventually run into problems.

I have boxes of examples

Yep. I just tried putting some chinese P-90 covers on my gibson. Just a hair off, but enough that they won't fit. I had to ream the pole piece openings and file down the inside collars to make them fit. I learned a lesson- just pay for the OEM parts if you are retrofitting.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne2

View Post

I'm not disputing that some good stuff comes out of China and Mexico, but in point of fact Hershey just opened a new $300 million plant in Pennsylvania and intends to keep making chocolate there for the foreseeable future.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp....html?page=all

That's excellent news. We need more companies that are willing to invest here at home. IMO, it's the only real way to get us out of the quagmire we're in.

EDIT: Maybe someday somebody will invest in the Harmony Central forum so it won't continue to run like dog {censored}.

• Members

View Post

I'm not disputing that some good stuff comes out of China and Mexico, but in point of fact Hershey just opened a new $300 million plant in Pennsylvania and intends to keep making chocolate there for the foreseeable future.

That's excellent news. We need more companies that are willing to invest here at home. IMO, it's the only real way to get us out of the quagmire we're in.

EDIT: Maybe someday somebody will invest in the Harmony Central forum so it won't continue to run like dog {censored}.

• Members

View Post

I'm glad to hear that. I got a box of chocolates for Xmas and they were made in Mexico. Kind of bummed me out. Still ate them but I was sad that they weren't made in Hershey.

• Members

View Post

I'm glad to hear that. I got a box of chocolates for Xmas and they were made in Mexico. Kind of bummed me out. Still ate them but I was sad that they weren't made in Hershey.

• Members

Besides eBay, DealExtreme is also a good source. I wonder how much shipping costs them. On eBay, one possible incentive for cheap sales is to get more/keep the positive feedback.

One thing I still didn't find, though, is 1/4" angled adapters (like the RadioShack ones, not Hosa).

• Members

Besides eBay, DealExtreme is also a good source. I wonder how much shipping costs them. On eBay, one possible incentive for cheap sales is to get more/keep the positive feedback.

One thing I still didn't find, though, is 1/4" angled adapters (like the RadioShack ones, not Hosa).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Amputation

View Post

I bought some yellow chickenhead knobs for a big muff mod project and they were like $1.85 SHIPPED directly from China. Took about 2 weeks.

How does that even work?!

$200 a month wages on average. Razor-thin profits for "small goods" factories in an effort to dominate the market, which they have. It's a WalMart approach - kill off the competition and then raise prices. That's expected to happen soon - there's discussion of this within China and in many western economist publications. Wages are rising, so that will push the prices up too.

About 5 years ago, I read an article in The Economist that claimed 35% or so of factories were state owned and not profitable. Not sure if that's the case now.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Amputation

View Post

I bought some yellow chickenhead knobs for a big muff mod project and they were like $1.85 SHIPPED directly from China. Took about 2 weeks.

How does that even work?!

$200 a month wages on average. Razor-thin profits for "small goods" factories in an effort to dominate the market, which they have. It's a WalMart approach - kill off the competition and then raise prices. That's expected to happen soon - there's discussion of this within China and in many western economist publications. Wages are rising, so that will push the prices up too.

About 5 years ago, I read an article in The Economist that claimed 35% or so of factories were state owned and not profitable. Not sure if that's the case now.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fhh

View Post

. . . . . On eBay, one possible incentive for cheap sales is to get more/keep the positive feedback. . . . .

There have, in the past, been scams where a seller sells many items of something that is incredibly inexpensive - and sells them for a practically give-away price. Then, they have a seller rating of "100" and a thousand or so "very satisfied" ratings. Then they sell "new Apple MacBooks" for U.S. $400, get about 200 orders, and abscond with the cash (since there never were any MacBooks for sale).

I think the Factory-direct sales we're seeing now, however, aren't that extraordinary and mostly reflect the actual low cost of many things. I know I've recently got Apple-like cables and HDMI stuff and other things for very cheap and with free shipping - which I guess throws me off, too.

Greg

Archived