Unpopular gear you like

Lonnie99

• Members

Anything that Peavey made in Mississippi. The old powered mixers and SP1 ans SP2s, the amps, throw um off a train and they'll still work perfectly.

TXXs, a deadlier club tha Keefs Tele. Same for the basses, and they sound great.

If you ever had any of that stuff and got rid of it you were foolish.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine86

View Post

I love Fender Mustangs.

One of, if not THE most popular guitar of the 60's. Fender sold thousands of them. Mine is from '65 and it works great. Even the tremolo is smooth and stays in tune. I'm not sure how popular they are now since you can get Squire Strats for less than $200.

mustang1.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMgT

View Post

U.S Made Hamers - extremely well-made guitars that play and sound excellent.

What kind of tone-deaf idiot would own or play a Hamer? rolleyes.gif

Oh right . . . this one. wave.gif

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

I'm also the only person I know of who owns the baseball bat-necked Carvin H2. This has become one of my top gigging guitars after I swapped in a set of Rio Grandes. I may actually pull this one out again for gigs now that my R&B/funk group is now a rock group with R&B overtones.

IMG_0392.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by larry50

View Post

My Boss DS-1. Unmodified. smile.gif

I bought one of those from one of the many great sales on those pedals. I like it too. For me the only trick is to really dial off the treble, then I get that nice violin-like solo tone.

• Members

Not too many people know the technology behind some of the best Randall Circuits comes from Fender amps and without Randall no one would be playing a guitar called a Stratocaster!

1lpyh.jpg

History

The Randall Amplifer Company was founded in 1970 by Don Randall, a life long radio and audio amplifier enthusiast. Randall began working as a salesman for a radio supply shop after graduating from community college in Santa Ana, California. It was there that he began a business relationship with Leo Fender, who at the time was operating a nearby radio repair shop. Randall went on to serve in the Army Corps of Engineers, the Signal Corps and Army Air Forces during World War II. After the war, he took a job as general manager of Radio & Television Equipment, a wholesale distributor of electronic components, where he discovered that Fender had begun making a few lap steel guitars and small amplifiers in his shop on what is now Harbor Boulevard in Fullerton, California.

Fender was anxious to expand his business, and was receptive when in 1946 Randall suggested that that Radio & Television Equipment distribute his guitars and amps. In February 1953, Fender Sales Corporation and Fender Electric Instrument Company were established. Randall, in charge of sales and distribution, was responsible for naming most of the classic Fender products which included the Broadcaster (which later became the Telecaster) and the Stratocaster. Randall subsequently became vice president and general manager of the Fender Musical Instrument and Fender Sales divisions of CBS. In 1969, Randall left to found Randall Amplifiers. Randall Amplifiers was founded in 1970 in Irvine, California. Randall sold the company in 1987. In the mid-1990s, it was purchased by U.S. Music Corporation.

• Members

I don't know that anything I like is exactly unpopular, but I do tend to have preferences that are probably not the norm. I would, for instance, purely as a guitar, simply rather have a Dano (anything on the range, bar the Longhorn designs - never cared for those) than any of Gibson's Les Pauls (with the possible exception of a Junior, but it would have to be a Custom Shop model, made with a bolt in neck. Never did like that back angle Gibson glued in necks have, although I entirely understand why it has to be so.). I'm more excited by the Squier CV range than anything Fender have pumped out of the US plant (or CS) in a very long time. If I was given unlimited cash to spend only on guitars, my first port of call would be Eastwood - "two of everything you do left handed, please.... and here's some more cash, now go make me a JR Elite as a lefty, won't you?". I'm not sure what it is. I've been around long enough not to be sucked in to chasing crazy money on the law of diminishing returns, yet equally not to blanket equate "cheap" with "good value". I suppose I just now find more pleasure in the idea of finding a great guitar for a smallish price than I do in saving to buy another US Fender (or whatever - not a criticism of Fender, I simply refer that example because I have one). I think in part this is because I tend to favour the ort of instrument Leo Fender had in mind when he first put out Fender solid bodied electric guitars. I have long argued that Squier today is closer to Leo's dream than anything the Custom Shop have ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey

View Post

One of, if not THE most popular guitar of the 60's. Fender sold thousands of them. Mine is from '65 and it works great. Even the tremolo is smooth and stays in tune. I'm not sure how popular they are now since you can get Squire Strats for less than $200.

mustang1.jpg

Funny how the cheap student models of back in the day (Mustangs, LP Juniors, and the likes) are now out of the reach of most of the original target markets (instead selling to those who might once have played them as beginners and now want to buy into nostalgia for their own youth.... then with the Mustang you also have the Nirvana thing....). I do seem to recall, though, once reading that in real terms, adjusted for inflation they never were much cheaper than they are now, just that in recent decades the availability of impressive guitars at the lower price end of the market has really improved.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Abene

View Post

My E-Wave 15 Watt Tube Head (Not unpopular, just pretty much unknown)

E-Wave_DG-15RH.jpg

I just looked them up. Their website SUCKS. LOL However, there's a couple YouTube demos where they sound pretty good.

Where did you get yours?

Archived