Unpopular gear you like

Lonnie99

• Members

I have an old '85 (I think) Hondo Revival in candy apple red. It is awesome. These came factory with a set neck, Grover machinheads, a Kahler locking tremolo, rosewood fretboard, and some pretty hot pickups. Mine had EMGs put in it back in '91 or so, but it is still one of my favorite guitars to play. I swear it sounds better the older it gets.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Les Paul Lover

View Post

Vigier guitars. Best guitars. Best and most exacting necks - really impressive!

Vigier guitars are only unpopular because they are European, rare and very expensive! Brilliant instruments though - on a par with Suhr, Fender custom shop etc.

Green guitars are sweet... especially 1977 Musicman Stingray bass guitars...

P9180012.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Les Paul Lover

View Post

Vigier guitars. Best guitars. Best and most exacting necks - really impressive!

Vigier guitars are only unpopular because they are European, rare and very expensive! Brilliant instruments though - on a par with Suhr, Fender custom shop etc.

Green guitars are sweet... especially 1977 Musicman Stingray bass guitars...

P9180012.jpg

• Members

Everyday pedals.

My plain old Cry Baby Wah, perfect for me.

Dano Daddy O: Had this pedal for years very versatile OD, good for an almost clean boost to heavy fuzz.

Dyna Comp: Just a little works wonders on my tele for certain things, useless to me otherwise, can't justify a boutique compressor for what I use it for.

My old Carvin DC100. Best made set neck guitar I've ever owned, and I've owned some pretty nice Gibsons. All hard rock maple, original M22 humbuckers, the whole thing is original. I've never even had to tweak the truss rod in 30 yrs. People rag on the pickups, claim the guitar is too bright, blah, blah. Yes is a bright guitar, can almost sound like a Tele clean on the back pickup, but put it on the front pickup and 100% tone and its dark enough to think it was a jazz box if you closed your eyes.

Picture13-2.jpg' alt='>'>

Old Peavey Amps: Still got my early 70s Artist 240. A compact little heavyweight that will blow your doors off with a 12" Black Widow, 4 6L6 output tubes, 2 solid state preamps with good eq that you can switch or run in series. And it fits in the backseat of the smallest car.

Oh, an banjos. I love banjos!

111208-135201-1.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

Everyday pedals.

My plain old Cry Baby Wah, perfect for me.

Dano Daddy O: Had this pedal for years very versatile OD, good for an almost clean boost to heavy fuzz.

Dyna Comp: Just a little works wonders on my tele for certain things, useless to me otherwise, can't justify a boutique compressor for what I use it for.

My old Carvin DC100. Best made set neck guitar I've ever owned, and I've owned some pretty nice Gibsons. All hard rock maple, original M22 humbuckers, the whole thing is original. I've never even had to tweak the truss rod in 30 yrs. People rag on the pickups, claim the guitar is too bright, blah, blah. Yes is a bright guitar, can almost sound like a Tele clean on the back pickup, but put it on the front pickup and 100% tone and its dark enough to think it was a jazz box if you closed your eyes.

Picture13-2.jpg' alt='>'>

Old Peavey Amps: Still got my early 70s Artist 240. A compact little heavyweight that will blow your doors off with a 12" Black Widow, 4 6L6 output tubes, 2 solid state preamps with good eq that you can switch or run in series. And it fits in the backseat of the smallest car.

Oh, an banjos. I love banjos!

111208-135201-1.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

I like my Orange Crush PiX CR35LDX real well.

But no one other than me ever seems to talk about them here. I got mine for a mere $164 shipped from HM (reg MAP is $249) .

Paul here demos it, but screws up when he says 12" speaker. It's a 10" but sounds fairly big for a 10.

• Members

I freakin' love US built Peavey guitars. I also love Transtube SS Peavey guitar amps. Used you can buy a full on pro level rig (guitar and amp) for under $500.

My main giggling rig is a Peavey Firenza guitar and a Peavey Special 212 amp. I paid $250 for each. Both made in the USA and are top quality pieces.

• Members

I freakin' love US built Peavey guitars. I also love Transtube SS Peavey guitar amps. Used you can buy a full on pro level rig (guitar and amp) for under $500.

My main giggling rig is a Peavey Firenza guitar and a Peavey Special 212 amp. I paid $250 for each. Both made in the USA and are top quality pieces.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sbeirnes

View Post

It blows my mind how under appreciated the Peavey stuff is. I was recently gifted a couple cheap basses and with it, a Peavey practice amp. Tiny little old bass amp. Turned out to have a killer old school bass tone (think 70's southern rock) that was super easy to record. I was going to pass it on to the first person I found starting to learn bass, but I think it will stick around for the recording stuff I do.

Not a SS (though I have experience with some, and they are killer too), my 89-91 Classic 50 410 is such a good workhorse amp. I got it a year or so ago, and recently had it gone over and retubed. The thing is just killer. I'd have to spend a lot of money to get an amp as good or versatile as it. As big as it is, it is relatively light too, so that's a bonus. It is significantly lighter than my bud's Fender Deville 410.

That same friend has a Peavey T60 that I have done some setup and repair work on. What a monster player.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sbeirnes

View Post

It blows my mind how under appreciated the Peavey stuff is. I was recently gifted a couple cheap basses and with it, a Peavey practice amp. Tiny little old bass amp. Turned out to have a killer old school bass tone (think 70's southern rock) that was super easy to record. I was going to pass it on to the first person I found starting to learn bass, but I think it will stick around for the recording stuff I do.

Not a SS (though I have experience with some, and they are killer too), my 89-91 Classic 50 410 is such a good workhorse amp. I got it a year or so ago, and recently had it gone over and retubed. The thing is just killer. I'd have to spend a lot of money to get an amp as good or versatile as it. As big as it is, it is relatively light too, so that's a bonus. It is significantly lighter than my bud's Fender Deville 410.

That same friend has a Peavey T60 that I have done some setup and repair work on. What a monster player.

• Members

Anything that Peavey made in Mississippi. The old powered mixers and SP1 ans SP2s, the amps, throw um off a train and they'll still work perfectly.

TXXs, a deadlier club tha Keefs Tele. Same for the basses, and they sound great.

If you ever had any of that stuff and got rid of it you were foolish.

Archived