oh my god. les paul in the pond.

rchip

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Best solution. BEAT THE PARENTS:mad:
:D

Seriously, I have a 6 year old son and a 10 year old daughter (and a 3rd kid on the way). I taught them at an early age not to touch other people's stuff without permission.

If they did something that stupid, I would buy the guy a new guitar. Why? Because it is my job to teach them how to act and my job to watch them.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by axegrinder

As much as he might like to beat somebody, it is not going to get his guitar back...in fact it might have the opposite effect.

However, the lack of response from the OP has me thinking of drawing out my "I Call BS" card. The story does seem pretty damn implausable. But whetever. If it happened I do sympathize.

+1

And I'm drawing out the " Someone do a parody thread " card .

• Members

Aw, man I'm totally bummed about this.

where do you think is a good place to leave it? the fret board looks like a wet buscuit.

I've just spoken to the parents, they did not offer to pay for the guitar. i was like `well it cost

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

Seriously, I have a 6 year old son and a 10 year old daughter (and a 3rd kid on the way). I taught them at an early age not to touch other people's stuff without permission.

If they did something that stupid, I would buy the guy a new guitar. Why? Because it is my job to teach them how to act and my job to watch them.

I dont have any kids yet, but I was always raised to mind my manners and behave. I grew up with my grandparents in the country while my parents were off working in the city.... both my grandparents were teachers! so I never stepped outta line lol you dont wanna know what happened then (well nothing ever happened because I always behaved):D ....

However I've got two small cousins through marriage, both girls, they come from a more than privileged home (heck their parents are millionaires)... and they are totally undisciplined. Their parents dont care what they do or how they behave, and the kids just walk all over them. I visited them two years ago, jet lagged just coming off the plane, I went to their place (which is a villa, lucky bastards).... so I'm tired and sitting there, trying to talk with the other adults, their kids start screaming at the top of their lungs, all us adults are annoyed. Well the mom pleads with them to stop as if the kids were in charge. The kids dont, and go on screaming for 20 minutes, she does nothing.

SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST TERRIBLE PARENTS AND SHOULDNT HAVE KIDS. I feel bad for the kids, because even though they are the ones who are {censored}ed up, they really dont know any better because their parents just did a {censored} job raising them. This will probably go on into them doing a {censored} job raising their own kids....

• Members

My mom is a teacher (primary age ... 4 year olds to 1st grade) and has on more than one occasion disciplined a kid FOR the parents.

One day my moms car was having troubles, so I was giving her a ride home, she had to stay afew minutes to run the front office phone while someone was out, and so I sat with her.

Lady walks in, two kids in hand. The second she starts talkin' to my mom her kids go nuts.

"I wanna do this!"

"I don't wanna do that!"

etc. etc.

After a minute the lady says ... and I quote ...

"You shouldn't do that."

My mom looked at her in shock and said ... and I quote ...

"YOU shouldn't do that, if your children are acting unreasonable don't expect to reason with them."

The lady in response said ...

"What would you do?"

My mom ...

"May I?"

Oh man was that a funny moment, the lady turned to her kids, then turned to my mom and bascally said go for it.

My mom stands up, walks over to both the kids who were throwing tantrums, kneels down to their level, and ever so lovingly said to both the children ...

"See my son over there? He has never gotten in trouble in school ... want to know why?"

The kids looked at my mom, expecting to hear the same crap their mom would say.

My mother looked at each in the eye and said ...

"He never got in trouble in school because he knew if he did, he would come home and have to face ME. And he knew that I had no problem using my belt on him, and guess what? I just lent your mom my belt, so you better act good"

The kids shut the hell up, seen them in there a few times, never seen them act up again.

The problm today with parents is they talk the talk but never do anything. They threaten their kids with punishment but never carry it out.

The belt was only used on me once, that's all it took for me to realize my mom wasn't messing around.

Those kids parents need to pay for that guitar, and those kids should not get a damn thing for christmas, except maybe some coal.

They will never {censored} with peoples {censored} again.

• Members

Doesn't sound like they plan on helping you out.

Here's my advice:

Take off all the hardware, strings, pickups etc. The hardware needs to be dried off so it won't rust/tarnish.

Everything that isn't wood off the guitar!

DON'T use a hair drier to dry the wood stuff off. Just wipe all the moisture you can off with paper towels and leave it someplace mildly dry to dry out over a few days. You'd be surprized how the wood goes back to normal. You might have some finish cracks and such but maybe not.

Go ahead and blow dry the pickups and tuners and stuff. You want them dry as fast as possible and metal doesn't warp.

When the neck and body are dry and the neck is straight, reassemble the guitar. If the neck has a warp in it, return it to Gibson for warantee work. I'd advise not mentioning the dip in the lake.

• Members

Originally posted by rchip

and they where like `well, don't worry they will know about this`

Seems that they would Already know about it.

Hell, They did it.

I'd get freakin' pissed and shout at the walls and threaten to sue if someone doesn't Fu**in' Do Something About it NOW!!

say "WELL, I AM {censored}IN WORRIED ABOUT IT!!!!"

Christmas or no Christmas spirit ...

What they did was WRONG!!!

• Members

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium

Sue the Mo-Fo's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

It's the only way you'll get a dime...

Unfortunately.

:(

I would hate to see it would have to get this ugly with your family but if that is what it takes to get your guitar I say go for it.

If they dont pay, go steal their car and drive it into a lake, if they tell you to pay for it, tell them {censored} themselves.

It's sad when the PARENTS need to be disciplined as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

Seriously, every adult involved should chip in and buy you a new guitar.

+1.

There are some guitar repair shops that could probably save your Gibson. Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI is one that comes to mind.

• Members

Originally posted by voneville

Slap that baby on ebay after it dries and call it a relic.

yup, tom murphy ageing :)

if it was a fender, i'd be quids in.

i'm going to type this as calmly as i can, but i can't find my little big muff. I MIGHT have left it at my mates from a jam the other day, I tried to call him but no answer. I've just gone for a quick look with a torch outside but i can't see anything, if it's in the pond, i will get really angry and i will demand they pay because this is insane, i keep laughing at it for some reason it's like an insane nightmare.

• Members

yup, tom murphy ageing
:)

i'm going to type this as calmly as i can, but i can't find my little big muff. I MIGHT have left it at my mates from a jam the other day, I tried to call him but no answer. I've just gone for a quick look with a torch outside but i can't see anything, if it's in the pond, i will get really angry and i will demand they pay because this is insane, i keep laughing at it for some reason it's like an insane nightmare.

Welcome to the twilight zone ... bitch. :D:p

Seriously though, if they threw the pedal in the pond that is ridiculous. They should buy you a new guitar, a new pedal, and hell for the emotional trauma a new amp too.

• Members

yup, tom murphy ageing
:)

Well there's possibilities

Was at least one string missing from the Paul? They could've used the Big Muff as a weight for their fishing line (your strings)

If not...they possibly were using the Big Muff as a Bobber...I mean hell if they're stupid enough to throw a LP in a pond as a fishing rod...they could use a heavy metal box as a Bobber...

Who knows anymore...If you find the Big Muff...feel free to use it as a weapon against the parents...

• Members

Do they have courts in the UK? If so, notify your relatives politely that their children, and what they do, are the parent's responsibility until they turn 18 (the kids, that is). If the parents do not cover replacement costs, tell them they will be paying court costs on top of it.

This is someethig that's called an "open and shut case" here in the US. You do not want to do so, but 1100 is nothing to sneeze at.

• Members
Originally posted by axegrinder

Ahhh but does the suit have to be brought by his parents...i.e. can a civil case plaintiff be a minor?

No, the parents would be the defendants. Minors' actions are chargable to the parents under US civil law. I'm not sure, but suspect the same may be true in the UK.

• Members

Originally posted by warriorpoet

Do they have courts in the UK? If so, notify your relatives politely that their children, and what they do, are the parent's responsibility until they turn 18 (the kids, that is). If the parents do not cover replacement costs, tell them they will be paying court costs on top of it.

This is someethig that's called an "open and shut case" here in the US. You do not want to do so, but 1100 is nothing to sneeze at.

I agree but it's not $1100 US, its 1100 in pounds. A new Les Paul Standard runs about $2000 US.

Archived