oh my god. les paul in the pond.

rchip

• Members

Originally posted by Tezmond

All my neices and nephews were told from a very early age not to touch Uncle Tezmonds guitars unless I was there with them...they only needed to be told once, and now, some of them are adults, they still wouldnt dream of it. Its called respect for other peoples property, something that appears to be an old fashioned idea.

Its my experience that kids today know that they can do whatever they want and not have to take responsability for their actions, its the way of the world now, where you can eat McDonalds 3 times a day, get fat and then sue them for making you fat.......the world is rooted ....I blaim bleeding hearts and lawers.

Hey, it's the conservabots pushing the frivolous lawsuits. Heck, they're the ones getting fat off McDonald's.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

I understand what youre saying, but that shouldnt matter. Children should be taught to respect other peoples property, regardless of what it is. If they are big enough to drag a 9lb les paul outside and throw it in a pond, they are big enough to learn simple manners.

not to mention: big enough be taken into a little alley and beaten senseless.

• Members

how far away from your home is this pond?

I've been fishing many times. Rod usually stays pretty dry. are these kids using at a fishing net?

if the ground was frozen, and the guitar was "stone cold, freezing", how could it also be damp with water coming out of it?

you should take pics to prove the damage. and put them up here.

i'm basically trying to say I don't believe you. i'd like to. i'll even apologize of i'm wrong. as a guy who has little kids in his family ruining his crap all the time, i want to feel for you. but throw us out here without a life a bone!

• Members

Originally posted by Pete Rules

how far away from your home is this pond?

I've been fishing many times. Rod usually stays pretty dry. are these kids using at a fishing net?

if the ground was frozen, and the guitar was "stone cold, freezing", how could it also be damp with water coming out of it?

you should take pics to prove the damage. and put them up here.

i'm basically trying to say I don't believe you. i'd like to. i'll even apologize of i'm wrong. as a guy who has little kids in his family ruining his crap all the time, i want to feel for you. but throw us out here without a life a bone!

Ponds are usually in your garden over here...

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

I understand what youre saying, but that shouldnt matter. Children should be taught to respect other peoples property, regardless of what it is. If they are big enough to drag a 9lb les paul outside and throw it in a pond, they are big enough to learn simple manners.

True. If I'd spent that kind of money on a guitar and someone had trashed it like that, I'd probably have to be forcibly restrained from beating them to death with the bloddied stump of their own leg.

• Members

Originally posted by garagebandking9

I'm not usually a violent person...

But those kids would've been beaten senseless...no matter who their parents are...

Then I'd tell the parents to pay more attention to the {censored} their kids are doing...

Make them pay for the guitar...

And then not give the kids or their parents anything for Christmas

My mom did child care for a living while I was living at home and going through the motions of growing up...

As time has passed...the kids are more and more disrespectful and angry...the parents think they can reason with their kids...but they need to face the fact that some kids just need a solid smack...especially with some of the back talking I hear...too much of this hippie dippie parenting {censored}...its okay to hit your kids...you don't have to beat the {censored} out of them for it to be effective...

I constantly hear these parents kneeling down and trying to explain to their kids that he/she needs to do this/that...the kid refuses numerous times...throws a tantrum...yells at the parent...and nothing happens...give me a break...

You also see this {censored} in stores all the time...kids climbing all over other customers...knocking {censored} off shelves on purpose...what the {censored}...if you can't pay attention to your kids and discipline them...don't have any...

I'm starting to think a lot of people are having kids now almost b/c its just what's expected...or its the thing to do when you're an adult and have settled down...they have seemingly no interest in actualy raising them...

I fear for the future...

Good luck with everything...let us know how it turns out

Very true. Far too many people having kids just because it's the done thing. The responsible thing is to at least choose whether to or not - I've opted for not, and I honestly think the world would be a better place if more people did that rather than leave it to chance and then not bring the little bastards up with manners and basic consideration for others.

• Members
Originally posted by rchip

Aw, man I'm totally bummed about this.

where do you think is a good place to leave it? the fret board looks like a wet buscuit.

I've just spoken to the parents, they did not offer to pay for the guitar. i was like `well it cost

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

I agree but it's not $1100 US, its 1100 in pounds. A new Les Paul Standard runs about $2000 US.

GBP1100 is - currently - equivalent to just about USD 2200. And that's pretty damn cheap for a new Std in the UK at that (and you try finding a lefty for under GBP1400..... and some folks on here still don't get why so many of us would rather have a Japanese clone that plays and sounds as good as a Gibson for half the price rather than "save a bit more" for "the real thing"!).

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

All I have to say is that I really, REALLY hope that most of the people in this thread NEVER have children. Most of you not only have no clue about what is developmentally appropriate for children, but you also have no clue as to what constitutes appropriate and effective discipline.

You guys do realize that the children were...what'd he say...5?

I knew not to do something like that at 5.

• Members

Originally posted by ajitaw

DUDES...

1. This thread is total BS without PICS...

2. This thread is total BS without PICS...

This is what I've been saying all along. I haven't seen any pics, the story has too many holes in it to be real, and I don't know many 5 year olds who could lift a Les Paul, carry it outside, heave it into a pond, and then jump in and retrieve it.

Unless there are pics to prove otherwise, this story is total ca-ca.

~Blackbelt

• Members
Originally posted by guitarcapo

Doesn't sound like they plan on helping you out.

Here's my advice:

Take off all the hardware, strings, pickups etc. The hardware needs to be dried off so it won't rust/tarnish.

Everything that isn't wood off the guitar!

DON'T use a hair drier to dry the wood stuff off. Just wipe all the moisture you can off with paper towels and leave it someplace mildly dry to dry out over a few days. You'd be surprized how the wood goes back to normal. You might have some finish cracks and such but maybe not.

Go ahead and blow dry the pickups and tuners and stuff. You want them dry as fast as possible and metal doesn't warp.

When the neck and body are dry and the neck is straight, reassemble the guitar. If the neck has a warp in it, return it to Gibson for warantee work. I'd advise not mentioning the dip in the lake.

+1

• Members

I do have to question the plausibility of a 5 year old making up an excuse like: "We thought it was a fishing pole"

I mean also....why did they take the guitar out of its case to throw it in the pond? Wouldn't it be easier to haul inside the case?

Yep...sounds like bull{censored}.

• Members

Assuming this is real...

Any kids old enough to lift a guitar that would mistake it for a fishing pole should be under constant supervision in the order of short school bus special kids. If they sincerely made that mistake then you can't blame them, they're not playing with a full deck.

If the parents don't make good then they'd no longer be welcome in my house, period. I may go visit them but they're not coming to my house anymore, end of story.

Archived