Lace Sensor Dually?

thecornman

• Members

Seeing if anyone has any thoughts on the Lace Sensor Dually pickups? Just won a Silver and Red one on ebay that I bid on! I am not really sure why I bid on it considering I never really liked any of the singles I tried, but I did anyways.

• Members

It's two Lace Sensors mashed together. If you like Sensors, you now have two of them, so it's twice as cool. If you hate Sensors, you now have two pickups you hate.

Ya it is the humbucker kind! I am hoping I like them better in this setup then I did the singles. I didn't hate the singles I just feel Dimarzio has the noiseless thing down way better for my taste. I am sure I will find a use for it in one of my guitars. I have a bad habit of bidding on pickups I don't really need if the price is right. I have way more pickups laying around then I will ever need in this life time.

• Members

Ya it is the humbucker kind! I am hoping I like them better in this setup then I did the singles. I didn't hate the singles I just feel Dimarzio has the noiseless thing down way better for my taste. I am sure I will find a use for it in one of my guitars. I have a bad habit of bidding on pickups I don't really need if the price is right. I have way more pickups laying around then I will ever need in this life time.

There's nothing humbucker about them, though. They're single coils, two of them side by side. They're not even reverse wired or anything.

• Thanks 1

• Members

There's nothing humbucker about them, though. They're single coils, two of them side by side. They're not even reverse wired or anything.

I see. Are they wired to run together then or just on their own? I know I can just go to the site and find out which I should have before I bid on it, but that is just not how I do things.

• Members

Humbuckers are two single coils wired side by side. Lace sensors dont need to be wired to cancel out the hum because they are allready noisless.

I'm a fan of lace. IMO a big part of why people dont tend to like them is because of how well they work. They do a great job of accurately taking the guitars sound and not adding to much of thier own color. This works well for me but if you are wanting the pups to add a bunch of flavor to a lackluster instument, they may not be the best. They are kinda the anti EMG.

I've heard good things about the duallys. I have Hemis, deathbuckers and golds, but haven't tried those. Post a clip when you get em? :thu:

• Members

Lace Sensors are not noiseless. They're low-noise single coil pickups, the 60 cycle hum is pretty audible. I have reverse wired Silver in my Mustang, and it makes a huge difference as to noise cancellation. Lace Dually are not humbuckers, they're a good way to get two single coils in a humbucker route.

Lace makes real humbuckers, too, though, and most of them are low noise in split mode.

• Members

My EC Strat's Lace Sensors (all gold) are definitely noisy when I face my amp. They are fine when I stand a few feet away.

All pups will act as an antenna for 120 cycle signal. Put your guitar near a computer and see how bad it gets. Lace makes thier pickups so that they are shielded from 60 cycle. It's not perfect, but it's nearly impossible to eliminate ALL interference. The closer you are to any electromagnetic field (like your amp generates) the worse it is. Loosing that noise when you are only a few feet away is actually pretty good. BTW, Nice Strat! I have golds in two of my strats and I really like em, and compared to the pups they replaced, they are "noiseless"

Perfect? no, but pretty damn good. They hum less than the burstbuckers in my LP.

If you want really quiet, try the alumitones. The deathbuckers I recently got are VERY quiet. I think I am only hearing noise from the cable and amp with those. I'm really impressed.

• Members

What's with your attitude? The point is Dually are not humbuckers because they're actually higher noise than single Sensors since you're adding two singles together with the same polarity. You can't have humbuckers if the coils are not bucking hum. If hum weren't an issue with Sensors*, Lace wouldn't make sets with a reverse middle pup, which if you've tried before, makes a big difference, even with these low-noise pickups.

*and they definitely are, to an extent. I've picked up radio signals with a vintage Blue Sensor before. The newer ones have a green grounding wire so it's less likely to happen, but they still pick up a fair amount of noise, especially if you're around fluorescent lights, where just the angle you hold the guitar can make a huge difference as to how much noise you pick up. True noiseless singles w/ a humbucking design like DiMarzio or Kinman don't do that. Regardless, with good shielding, it's not a huge problem, but I never said it was.

• Members

What's with your attitude?

Since you ask, you are annoying. Thanks for informing me that lace makes hums. did you even read my post? The one you replied to in wich I stated that I own several? Go talk to Django.

• Members

I have the lace red/silver/blue set in my MIM strat, when I had the pickguard out to install them, I shielded the entire cavity with copper foil shielding. I can't tell I'm plugged in until I strike a note it's THAT quiet.

sorta on the same topic, but has anyone tried a Lace Blue in the bridge position of their strat? if so, how do you like the sound?

• Members

blue red gold chartreuse they all have a full rangey sound; bright and clear but not ice picky. If anything they might lack "warmth" but so do legitimate single coils. From what I can tell, I prefer real single coils but LCs sound still sound good to me. Clapton FI ...

• Members
I have the lace red/silver/blue set in my MIM strat, when I had the pickguard out to install them, I shielded the entire cavity with copper foil shielding. I can't tell I'm plugged in until I strike a note it's THAT quiet.

sorta on the same topic, but has anyone tried a Lace Blue in the bridge position of their strat? if so, how do you like the sound?

Blue in the bridge is nice. I had it in a Strat with Silver mid and Gold neck. I used silver most of the time and then blue for cutting through. Worked great.

• Members

Blue in the bridge is nice. I had it in a Strat with Silver mid and Gold neck. I used silver most of the time and then blue for cutting through. Worked great.

Thanks for the input, the blue in my strat is in the neck and I find it a lot fuller sounding and kind of overpowering the bridge, which I find isn't powerful enough. You think it would be with the specs on it, but nope. I even tried different pickup heights to try balancing them out but the blue was still bigger sounding. It sounds great in the neck mind you, so I'm thinking of swapping the blue into the bridge on my next string change to see how it sounds. If I like it , the red will be getting replaced with a blue. The silver in the middle is great sounding too. I'm not a middle pickup user on any of my guitars, but this one it is cool on certain tunes.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

So much misinformation about the Lace Dually pickups.  Yes, they are humbucking, and one of the coils is reverse wound.  At Fenders request, the Fender Lace Sensor Dually pickups used two coils wound the same direction (both north).  However the Lace Sensor Duallys have always used a north wound and south wound coil.  Though they still make single coil pickups for Fender (Fender Lace Sensors), Lace no longer makes the Dually pickups for them. 

The Dually pickups can be wired in three different ways.  1 .as standard humbucker pickup,  2.  as a split-able humbucker pickup, and 3.  Dually mode... north coil/south coil/both coils.  Dually mode really kicks in when using different color pickups....Blue/Gold or the like, verses a Red/Red.  Essentially it is three pickups in one.

Why does Lace use a north wound coil and south wound coil in the Dually pickups?  Aside from the fact the pickups sound great when combined, there is the simple fact that a humbucking ultra quiet pickup is going to have even less noise than a single coil ultra quiet pickup.  Also, the fact that the north magnetic field is next to a south magnetic field, they both create a pickup with higher output than a north/north setup.  The matched Dually pickups (Gold/Gold, Red/Red...) have as close to zero noise than you can get.  The poly-tonal Dually pickups (Gold/Blue, Red/Silver....) have a higher noise threshold, however the noise is in a frequency range higher than what a guitar amp can reproduce.

Think of the Dually pickups as a Strat with a RWRP middle pickup.  When in position 2 and 4, the pickups are humbucking.  In a Dually, it is the same principle, but the difference is, it utilizes two true single coil pickups, that just happen to be way more quiet than ordinary

• 3 months later...
  • Members

honeyiscool wrote:

Technically they are humbuckers. Their single coils alone are humbucking so 2 of them together are still noiseless. They don't really need to be reverse wired. EDIT: Oh but they are. I guess BlueAsher set you straight already. Next time don't get so touchy when someone has the nerve to disagree with your misinformation.  I know you went to Harvard and all, but that doesn't mean you know everything.:smiley-bounce015: