omg, my ultimate NGD is today ...

aenemated

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman

View Post

Same here. Been writing software since about the same age as you (16 or 17). I'm 36 now. I'm kinda over it...But I don't know anything else.

Welcome to the club then cry.gif I think it's too late to learn something else so we'll just have to bite the bullet.

• Replies 211.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by aenemated View Post
i been writing code since i was 7 or 8.

30 y/o now ... about the only other marketable skill i have is i can work on harleys. so if this rocktar thing don't take off soon ... i might be stuck.
Well, that's something at least biggrin.gif I went to school for software development instead of getting a useful education (they couldn't teach me anything I hadn't already known at that point--Visual Basic & C??? ha--so those 3 years were pretty much wasted). So it's either code or nothing here idn_smilie.gif

I don't have any aspiration of doing something with music either... It's a hobby, I started last year. smile.gif

• Members

Yeah, looks like you kept focussed and had a goal. I would imagine that most people would tend to lose both. smile.gif Never been in contact with any kinds of drugs (if you don't count cigarettes) and I don't really want to try any of them either. icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ArKay View Post
Well, that's something at least biggrin.gif I went to school for software development instead of getting a useful education (they couldn't teach me anything I hadn't already known at that point--Visual Basic & C??? ha--so those 3 years were pretty much wasted). So it's either code or nothing here idn_smilie.gif

I don't have any aspiration of doing something with music either... It's a hobby, I started last year. smile.gif
Ditto. I started music 2 years ago. That's not gonna be paying the bills any time soon (ever!).

It kinda sucks, huh? How we all get pigeonholed into careers that way. No one should ever have to do the same thing for 30 years. You gotta be able to try new things every 5 or 10 years.

Man, did I take this thread south or what? Let's get back to hookers and coke, eh?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ArKay View Post
Yeah, looks like you kept focussed and had a goal. I would imagine that most people would tend to lose both. smile.gif Never been in contact with any kinds of drugs (if you don't count cigarettes) and I don't really want to try any of them either. icon_lol.gif
eh, i won't ever say anything bad about them, even though i make fun of my pothead friends. i was always an uppers guy, since i like to drink so much. they tend to offset it. i don't much do anything at all anymore. or, moreso, seek it out like i used to. i reckon if offered the right thing at the right time, i'd be all about it. but i don't spend my money on anything besides booze and smokes anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbaFret View Post
wow this thread did slow down this weekend. i think it should still be the official bs thread tho.place is slow around 3 or 4 in the morning.
AGREED.

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
Ditto. I started music 2 years ago. That's not gonna be paying the bills any time soon (ever!).

It kinda sucks, huh? How we all get pigeonholed into careers that way. No one should ever have to do the same thing for 30 years. You gotta be able to try new things every 5 or 10 years.

Man, did I take this thread south or what? Let's get back to hookers and coke, eh?
i think i've made about $300 in my entire 15 years of being a musician. but, granted, a lot of the time i was probably playing for free OR i gave whatever i was paid to the rest of the band. they usually needed it more than i did. but drink tickets? i'm all about those.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbaFret View Post
Aenemated who do you work for?
You are in marketing right?
eh, i dunno if i wanna make it real public, cuz ... being the internet, {censored} can come back to you. god knows what people look for, and i don't wanna potentially endanger anything my company is doing based on {censored} someone might find from a google search. for my freelance work, i don't really care - my freelance clients know who i am and what i do with my freetime - so if they have a problem with, say, finding this thread and seeing the {censored} i talk about - {censored} em, i don't care; but my co-workers/owners of my fulltime employer may feel differently. so i'll give them that respect.

suffice to say, i work for a very, very cool marketing and advertising firm in los angeles. my expertise is tying front end user interfaces (typically flash) to backend datamining, database design, development and maintenance and server maintenance.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post

Yeah, nothing sucks more IMHO. I don't know how people keep their job interesting, doing the same {censored} year after year. Anyway...

So back to hookers and coke it is then wave.gif

• Members

hehheh i guess the thing that keeps it interesting to me is the internets grow and change so much all the time, so when there's something new, i love diving in and learning it. cracked open the facebook API not long ago and now i'm getting {censored}ing work offers cuz i know that {censored} now.

it's fun to figure out new technology.

but, really, if i weren't such a nerd, i'd so be the filthy dude riding around the country on a harley with a guitar strapped to his back, playing cards for money to keep moving.

• Members

Yeah, that's pretty much what I am about to do as well. Half the company actually, but it binds us to a set of products which can be a good or a bad thing, but we will see smile.gif

I don't enjoy learning that stuff... I used to do development only and now I have to deal with server installation & maintenance which can be totally nerve-wrecking. It's all about products and knowledge these days. boring.gif A few years ago it was all about projects. A scanning program here, a small email client there, something totally different every other week. These days it's all about APIs and products.

• Members

Yeah! I hate the {censored}in APIs and products. Pardon my french!
It used to be that you got hired for knowing your way around new techs, having the smarts to figure them out, etc.
Now, it's all about knowing this or that canned product. So if I know product A, i can get a job doing more product A development...But a company using product B will pass me over, because they want someone who knows product B. Kinda keeps you stuck in product A development forever. Catch 22.

Thing is, smart folks (like us here), can figure out ANY product. You hire us not because it says "product A" on our resume, but because of our ability to figure things out. But go explain that to some of the suits I see running these companies. I swear, I'm convinced you get lobotmized when you go to business school. MBA types are some of the most unimaginative people I've ever met.

• Members

it ain't cool at all.

i can remember my party days in vegas ... all these fools are tryin to find hookups, so of course they'd ask you what you do. so i'd be chillin, whatever, someone's like "hey man, what do you do?

i was always like "guess. i ain't tellin you."

"uhhh, well, you play music?"
"yep, but not professionally. i just do it cuz it's fun."
"promotions? production? something with music."
"nah."
"{censored}, i give up."
"i'm a programmer."
"like ... computer stuff?"
"yeah. lots of nerd {censored}. it rules."
"wow, i'd have never guessed."
"yeah, that's why i can buy you drinks, mother{censored}er."

hehhehheh