omg, my ultimate NGD is today ...

aenemated

• Members

Oh yeah... I will have to fill out a skill matrix during the next couple of days, listing the products (all from one company) I already know and the ones where I have deficits. I will have a few web-based trainings coming up to fill the gaps. Looks like I won't be doing much else in the near future boring.gif

• Replies 211.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by aenemated View Post
it ain't cool at all.

i can remember my party days in vegas ... all these fools are tryin to find hookups, so of course they'd ask you what you do. so i'd be chillin, whatever, someone's like "hey man, what do you do?

i was always like "guess. i ain't tellin you."

"uhhh, well, you play music?"
"yep, but not professionally. i just do it cuz it's fun."
"promotions? production? something with music."
"nah."
"{censored}, i give up."
"i'm a programmer."
"like ... computer stuff?"
"yeah. lots of nerd {censored}. it rules."
"wow, i'd have never guessed."
"yeah, that's why i can buy you drinks, mother{censored}er."

hehhehheh
icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BobbaFret View Post
Im on vacation this week!
Im getting up in an hour to go deer huntingfreak.gif
This is gonna be a long day.
I don't think you'll be "getting up" in an hour if you're already awake.
Can you ship Venison cross state lines? I'll take a pound!

• Members

Good morning chaps! I've had an interesting weekend. Met some girl I aint seen for years, and she's still hot. Thats the only good thing about moving back to your old hometownrolleyes.gif
Well, I don't know a damn thing about computers or what you're talking about with programming an what not. All I can say is, it sounds better than session work (and better paid I'm sure). The trouble with music being work is it becomes just that. Work. I'm actually at this moment trying to get a career change before I'm considered too old to get qualified for something.cry.gif

• Members

Ah, I love this thread. Theres no where else I'd dare ask people this question. Is 26 too young for a midlife crisis?icon_lol.gif hmm...
I think I've decided music has to be fun otherwise it's gonna be the end of me. I dunno, I'm looking at all different courses right now. If you had to start over, what would you do?confused.gif

• Members

way too young, man.

i kinda realized, a couple years ago, that i really needed to keep what i enjoy separate from what i do for money. or, rather, what i have to do.

sure, i enjoy my job. i don't mind going to work, other than having to wake up. and my work itself, it's not so bad. a lot of people got it a lot worse.

i think about every band i was ever in ... and there was often a point it felt like work. like, i HAD to show up for rehearsal, i HAD to be here, there or whatever. and it started to suck. now, i just go around and jam with my homies play whatever and have fun. i'd love to play in front of people again, but i don't want to feel like i have to. i mean, obviously, if i have a show scheduled ... it's different, and i look forward to it. but the idea of it being some sort of job ... man, i love it too much to turn it into that.

work is just a means to an end. i ain't tryin to change the world or whatever through my job. but maybe some kid hears me play guitar or play drums and wants to pick it up, then rock on. i actually had something like that happen a long time ago - some kid came to my former drum teacher (and good friend) for lessons wearing my old band's tshirt. as it turned out, he wore that shirt at EVERY lesson he came to. and when rob told me about it, it blew me away. to the kid, he was like "hey man, you know, the drummer in that band comes in here a lot." and apparently the kid was like "no way! he ROCKS. he's why i'm taking lessons!"

i was 19 years old when that went down. it was just the most amazing feeling when i heard it. like ... i have no idea where that kid is or what he's doing ... but if he's playing drums and kicking ass; then i really feel like i've done SOMETHING. and it had nothing to do with websites or databases or money or marketing ...

maybe one day i can land in a gig where i can be 100% satisfied playing and all. maybe it's starting my own thing and bringing the right people in.

but, for me ... now ... playing music is a hobby. and i don't think i'm ready to make it anything else.

all that said ... i just turned 30, and it was a super weird deal for me. but other than hangovers hurting a little more, and the occasional aches and pains that didn't used to be there, few more tattoos, few more scars, few more stories ... i still feel the exact same as i did when i was 18.

• Members

Only four more sleeps until Friday! smile.gif

But that also means five more work days. cry.gif

(On a positive note, my six-month-old daughter Claire slept through the night last night after the previous night's 'tough-love' session. When she cried out, we didn't pick her up. That meant daddy went in every five minutes, rubbed her tummy, said 'I love you', and then left the room while she was still wailing. Apart from dealing with the likes of you guys on a daily basis, it was the hardest thing I've ever done. cry.gif )

DSC01752.jpg

Get this -- she likes it more when I play my Tele and Fender Champ than my SG and Bluesbreaker clone. WTF? I'll have to fix that!! More gain!!! mad.gifmad.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by aenemated View Post
way too young, man.

i kinda realized, a couple years ago, that i really needed to keep what i enjoy separate from what i do for money. or, rather, what i have to do.

sure, i enjoy my job. i don't mind going to work, other than having to wake up. and my work itself, it's not so bad. a lot of people got it a lot worse.

i think about every band i was ever in ... and there was often a point it felt like work. like, i HAD to show up for rehearsal, i HAD to be here, there or whatever. and it started to suck. now, i just go around and jam with my homies play whatever and have fun. i'd love to play in front of people again, but i don't want to feel like i have to. i mean, obviously, if i have a show scheduled ... it's different, and i look forward to it. but the idea of it being some sort of job ... man, i love it too much to turn it into that.

work is just a means to an end. i ain't tryin to change the world or whatever through my job. but maybe some kid hears me play guitar or play drums and wants to pick it up, then rock on. i actually had something like that happen a long time ago - some kid came to my former drum teacher (and good friend) for lessons wearing my old band's tshirt. as it turned out, he wore that shirt at EVERY lesson he came to. and when rob told me about it, it blew me away. to the kid, he was like "hey man, you know, the drummer in that band comes in here a lot." and apparently the kid was like "no way! he ROCKS. he's why i'm taking lessons!"

i was 19 years old when that went down. it was just the most amazing feeling when i heard it. like ... i have no idea where that kid is or what he's doing ... but if he's playing drums and kicking ass; then i really feel like i've done SOMETHING. and it had nothing to do with websites or databases or money or marketing ...

maybe one day i can land in a gig where i can be 100% satisfied playing and all. maybe it's starting my own thing and bringing the right people in.

but, for me ... now ... playing music is a hobby. and i don't think i'm ready to make it anything else.

all that said ... i just turned 30, and it was a super weird deal for me. but other than hangovers hurting a little more, and the occasional aches and pains that didn't used to be there, few more tattoos, few more scars, few more stories ... i still feel the exact same as i did when i was 18.
dude, to influence somebody with your music is a really great thing

Archived