omg, my ultimate NGD is today ...

aenemated

• Replies 211.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well, of the 4 i have now, only ONE i did not play - the 59.

the silverburst i got from hollywood GC about 2 years ago. it was my first "big" guitar purchase. was really GASsin for one, and they had 2; one that had JUST come in. i played it and really fell in love with it.

the slash sig was next. i got that one from west LA music late last year, i think. or maybe it was early this year. can't really remember. smile.gif anyway, i'd just stopped in to check out the shop and had NEVER seen a slash sig in real life. it took about 15 minutes of playing it through a jcm800 in their awesome soundproofed amp room before i decided to get it. i remember when i mentioned it to the salesdude i was talkin to (jason - awesome guy), he was like "{censored}, wanna play it?" and i was like "man, i play that thing, i'll probably buy it. hell no." "great, lemme get you plugged into a marshall." bastard. hehheh.

now for the '57 and '59. for whatever reason, i decided i really wanted a reissue, but i wasn't sure which one. i even posted a few threads on here about it when i first started looking. i wanted to make a really smart purchase, because i knew i was deciding on what would likely end up being the end all, be all for me. i played every single '58 and '59 i could find in los angeles - figured i wanted one or the other. the problem was, i could NOT find a darkburst. i don't really like cherryburst, lemondrops are ok ... iced tea, etc ... eh, not so bad but not my favorite, so i wasn't about to drop money on a guitar of that price without loving it. after a good ... 2 months of checking out damn near everyone i could find, on a whim ... i picked up the '57 goldtop. LOVED the neck, felt perfect, and a great price for a custom shop job. so i got that one and kinda put the idea of a '59 behind me.

but, as a GAS sufferer often does, i found myself scoping the net and local shops for a killer darkburst. happened upon one on gbase. it looked perfect, so i called up the shop to get the info. the price was ... very, very good.

thought about it for a bit ... and pulled the trigger. and very, very, very happy i did.

i figured i'd played enough '59s to know that it would feel like, so it wasn't THAT big a deal to buy it unplayed; even though i'd basically sworn off doing that again. too many ebay mistakes ...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by aenemated

View Post

not as nice as they feel and sound, though. smile.gif

got the '59 in my lap right now ... noodling around to some allman bros and REALLY not wanting to go to bed, even though i gotta be up in a couple hours haha.

I hear you - I'd better scamper off to bed too.

Too bad I don't have a 59RI to keep me company while I procrastinate. poke.gif

Archived