omg, my ultimate NGD is today ...

aenemated

• Replies 211.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman

View Post

*grumble grumble* it's friday. i still haven't had my coffee...

Double-you-tee-eff?

Oh, right. It's only 9:30 there.

Our English buddies should be starting on the good stuff right about now. Although, come to think of it, aenemated may have already started.

My 18-watter's got a master volume which is a godsend since I can get preamp distortion with the channel volume on 7 and the master as low as .5!! thumb.gif

Power tube distortion? Channel volume 5, master 10. eek.giffreak.gifmad.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Axe_34

View Post

Double-you-tee-eff?

Oh, right. It's only 9:30 there.

Our English buddies should be starting on the good stuff right about now. Although, come to think of it, aenemated may have already started.

My 18-watter's got a master volume which is a godsend since I can get preamp distortion with the channel volume on 7 and the master as low as .5!! thumb.gif

Power tube distortion? Channel volume 5, master 10. eek.giffreak.gifmad.gif

The Trinity, eh? smile.gif

Yeah. I don't know if you followed my Ceriatone saga (there's a whole thread in here somewhere). But I basically went back and forth custom spec'ing this amp. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this beast, but the one thing holding me back is this whole question of where to get my crunch from.

Yeah, it's early here (by my standards). I just barely woke up smile.gif

• Members

View Post

The Trinity, eh? smile.gif

Yeah. I don't know if you followed my Ceriatone saga (there's a whole thread in here somewhere). But I basically went back and forth custom spec'ing this amp. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this beast, but the one thing holding me back is this whole question of where to get my crunch from.

Yeah, it's early here (by my standards). I just barely woke up smile.gif

I follow all of your threads because I think we have similar tastes in music and similar taste in tones.

And similar GAS attacks.

• Members

View Post

I follow all of your threads because I think we have similar tastes in music and similar taste in tones.

And similar GAS attacks.

Hehehehe. I've been out of control lately, eh?

Similar tastes in music? Such as?

• Members

I like Oasis and I know you're a fan. Where Did It All Go Wrong is one of my all-time favourite songs. Great fun to play too.

Other than that, Peter Green-era Fleetwood and Bluesbreakers, early Zeppelin, Matthew Good (he's Canadian and a great talent, both with his former band and his more recent solo stuff), Neil Young (his Crazy Horse stuff mostly), older Modest Mouse, Joy Division and a fair bit of classic rock (AC/DC).

Oh, and Nirvana.

I know how Kurt's viewed around these parts but he was a big inspiration to me. He may not have been much of a guitar player but few artists have moved me as much as he did when I was in my early to mid-20s. I was young, angry and depressed. icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

I like Oasis and I know you're a fan. Where Did It All Go Wrong is one of my all-time favourite songs. Great fun to play too.

Other than that, Peter Green-era Fleetwood and Bluesbreakers, early Zeppelin, Matthew Good (he's Canadian and a great talent, both with his former band and his more recent solo stuff), Neil Young (his Crazy Horse stuff mostly), older Modest Mouse, Joy Division and a fair bit of classic rock (AC/DC).

Oh, and Nirvana.

I know how Kurt's viewed around these parts but he was a big inspiration to me. He may not have been much of a guitar player but few artists have moved me as much as he did when I was in my early to mid-20s. I was young, angry and depressed. icon_lol.gif

thumb.gif

I do like Oasis.

To be honest, until i started learning guitar, i wasn't much of a classic rock fan. I truly started appreciating that genre more as I tried to emulate/learn to play. I've always had more of an "outside the box" kind of musical taste (albeit very varied). I like a lot of obscure 80s stuff (Joy Division being one of the less obscure in that department). But mostly, I cut my teeth on bands like Sonic Youth, the Pixies (which Kurt cited as a big influence on him, btw) and similar acts in the late 80s and 90s.

Btw, if you like Joy Division, check out The Chameleons!

• Members

D'oh! I forgot Sonic Youth. redface.gif I was just listening to Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star yesterday. Bull in the Heather's great.

My favourite all-time Sonic Youth track is Teresa's Sound World.

I came of age during the whole grunge scene, so Pearl Jam, Mudhoney, Sloan, Scratching Post, ad infinitum....all got heavy play.

And I was also into Depeche Mode and the Smiths in high school, along with New Order and, of all things, Public Enemy and Ice-T.

• Members

View Post

D'oh! I forgot Sonic Youth. redface.gif I was just listening to Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star yesterday. Bull in the Heather's great.

My favourite all-time Sonic Youth track is Teresa's Sound World.

I came of age during the whole grunge scene, so Pearl Jam, Mudhoney, Sloan, Scratching Post, ad infinitum....all got heavy play.

And I was also into Depeche Mode and the Smiths in high school, along with New Order and, of all things, Public Enemy and Ice-T.

Yeah. Our tastes are similar. I was very big into DM, the Smiths and New Order and all that 80s stuff back in high school. Then in college it was that Sonic Youth stuff. Grunge was more of a sideshow for me. I was never a huge fan, but it was kind of "the music of the times" back in college.

And about the whole Kurt bashing. Guitar skills are one thing, and musicianship is another altogether. Power chords are not that challenging and all that, but most of us who were alive at the time probably STILL remember the first time we heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit". It truly was a milestone in the transition from 80s hairbands ruling the airwaves to something new and different. It just sounded completely new and different from anything else that was out there (in the mainstream at least).

• Members

SO, tell me something, Axe.

You posted the other day (in your clip thread) that you were basically new at this (6 months?) and self-taught. You already have some pretty nice gear, obviously, so that's not been an issue. I'm in that same kind of boat, starting up (a bit over a year now), but able to afford nice gear.

What's been your "method"? Frankly, I've tried lessons (with 3 different guys already) and I just don't think I'm progressing in any meaningful way. I'm perfectly fine reading the theory side of things on my own (i'm a quick learner with most things cerebral) and would rather spend my lessons on technique improvement, which is something i don't feel teachers are focusing on. My problem seems to be a lot more in the execution (the technique) than the actual understanding of the music. IN fact, i find my brain knows exactly what I should be doing, but my biggest problem is in getting my hands/muscles/fingers to actually do that without fumbling around.

Anyway, random open question....i'm curious to hear how you went about it.

• Members

View Post

I've always had a crush on Kim Gordon. love.gif

aetJ.3Aog

And Beth Gibbons. love.giflove.giflove.gif I love Portishead. I've always been drawn to the slightly damaged, older types.

gibbons3.jpg

bethgibbons-grp-0203.jpg

Dude! You just posted pictures of 2 of my all time favorite female artists!

If I had to pick a top 5 or so, of female types, in addition to the 2 you posted, I'd have to have Kim Deal (Pixies, Breeders)

222hn6.jpg

Miki Berenyi from Lush:

1165132601.jpeg

2.jpg

• Members

View Post

SO, tell me something, Axe.

You posted the other day (in your clip thread) that you were basically new at this (6 months?) and self-taught. You already have some pretty nice gear, obviously, so that's not been an issue. I'm in that same kind of boat, starting up (a bit over a year now), but able to afford nice gear.

What's been your "method"? Frankly, I've tried lessons (with 3 different guys already) and I just don't think I'm progressing in any meaningful way. I'm perfectly fine reading the theory side of things on my own (i'm a quick learner with most things cerebral) and would rather spend my lessons on technique improvement, which is something i don't feel teachers are focusing on. My problem seems to be a lot more in the execution (the technique) than the actual understanding of the music. IN fact, i find my brain knows exactly what I should be doing, but my biggest problem is in getting my hands/muscles/fingers to actually do that without fumbling around.

Anyway, random open question....i'm curious to hear how you went about it.

Bump. We got sidetracked by the hot girls there....Step away from your DRRI for a minute! smile.gif

Archived