omg, my ultimate NGD is today ...

aenemated

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman

View Post

Have i asked you about the Gilmore yet? I've already annoyed someone else with questions about it, but I don't think it was you. I really want good tone at low/moderate volume, and I've about given up on my current amp.

Well you can certainly tell the difference between pushing the power tube on the Gilmore Jr. versus just pushing the preamps on my Traynor or Bluesbreaker clone. Full versus fizzy.

I would love to hear what an attenuator would do for my bigger amps.

I'm hell bent and determined in getting some clips up Friday. Then you can hear what I get on various settings/amps/pedals.

And you didn't ask me before. wink.gif

I think we're both in the same boat when it comes to getting tone. For the most part, I just get extremely frustrated trying to emulate the tones of my favourite artists. mad.gif But I'm getting better at it. blah.gif

• Replies 211.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Axe_34

View Post

Well you can certainly tell the difference between pushing the power tube on the Gilmore Jr. versus just pushing the preamps on my Traynor or Bluesbreaker clone. Full versus fizzy.

I would love to hear what an attenuator would do for my bigger amps.

I'm hell bent and determined in getting some clips up Friday. Then you can hear what I get on various settings/amps/pedals.

And you didn't ask me before. wink.gif

I think we're both in the same boat when it comes to getting tone. For the most part, I just get extremely frustrated trying to emulate the tones of my favourite artists. mad.gif But I'm getting better at it. blah.gif

Hah! You want to see frustrated? Go read that thread I started 2 days ago (the one with the Wonderwall clip). But yeah. I hear ya.

Thing is, I have an attenuator, and i've been experimenting a lot over the past 2 days, and honestly, i don't think it's gonna get you that full distortion you're looking for. The attenuator seems to work alright if you use it moderately, meaning, you turn your volume to 5 and attenuate it to 3 or 4.

If you have a 30W tube amp (like my classic 30), and you want full powertube breakup, you have to turn it up to 10 or 12 (i don't have to tell you how loud that is) and then attenuate back down to about the equivalent of a "2" volume (at least in the room I play in). That much attenuation makes you lose any kind of "openness" your amp might have had.

At least that's what I've discovered. Obviously, YMMV (since I'm hardly qualified to pass judgement here).

Also, I see you have a Weber Silver Bell in your Champ 600. How do you like that? Did it make a big difference? oops. I misread that. You're running the 600 into a 1x12?

• Members

w00t!! Friday!! Nine hours until beer!!

You should see the snow we got yesterday. Good execuse to sit by the fireplace drinking and playing guitar. And I got a recording setup going. Maybe a clip tonight (although no one save my wife and daughter has ever heard me play).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Axe_34

View Post

w00t!! Friday!! Nine hours until beer!!

You should see the snow we got yesterday. Good execuse to sit by the fireplace drinking and playing guitar. And I got a recording setup going. Maybe a clip tonight (although no one save my wife and daughter has ever heard me play).

Oh yeah! I wanna hear! What guitar you playing with today? I've been wailing on my LP since yesterday. It's an LP kinda day.

• Members

It sure has been an lp day. I learnt to play sweet child o mine note perfect at last (along with some led zep), after all these years of trying, failing and today I got it spot onsmile.gif

Late happy thanks giving day to all you Americans. And an early happy Christmas to all you lot. I might not be around a pc for a while so I'll catch you all next year or maybe just before. Stay funky/keep rockin and enjoy those lp's!

• Members

Haha. Axe_34 was talking to himself there for a bit...smile.gif

I had a "good tone day" today using the Tiny Terror and the LP.

You guys ever notice how somedays, the exact same guitar, on the exact same amp, with the exact same settings will sound great one day, and like total ass the next day. I swear there's some weird "tone" mojo in my ears.

I jammed along to some White Stripes (easy stuff) and lots of Oasis today. I really need to get good enough to learn more elaborate songs.

Oh yeah, and tried keeping up with the Reverend Horton Heat on "Five-o-Ford"...What a great {censored}in song that is!

I love "sober". How is that played? Not standard tuning, I'm guessing?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman

View Post

Haha. Axe_34 was talking to himself there for a bit...smile.gif

I had a "good tone day" today using the Tiny Terror and the LP.

That's a nice rig. Everytime I jam over at my drummer's place, I always ask to plug into his TT. My wife *knows* that there's going to be one in our practice space sometime next year. tongue.gif

P.S. - If I want a clean-to-distorted tone from the Tiny Terror, I turn everything up halfway and ride the volume control.

Archived