You think you have too many guitars? Check this list out

campfirehero

• Members

This list does nothing for me. There is a complete absence of small shop builders except for the lone Collings, which is probably the best guitar on his list. Martins are cool and everything, but why buy 3 Martins when you can have a 1 Martin, 1 Goodall, and 1 Collings? More importantly, why have 10 Gibbys when you can have 1-5 Gibbys and 5 unique pieces from small shop builders? Goodness gracious... Makes no sense.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This list does nothing for me. There is a complete absence of small shop builders except for the lone Collings, which is probably the best guitar on his list. Martins are cool and everything, but why buy 3 Martins when you can have a 1 Martin, 1 Goodall, and 1 Collings? More importantly, why have 10 Gibbys when you can have 1-5 Gibbys and 5 unique pieces from small shop builders? Goodness gracious... Makes no sense.

Just a guess but maybe that is what he likes? Or maybe he is or knows a professional musician that is giving him stuff? I mean really, people have different tastes.

• Members

He's a pretty nice player too. One cool thing is he is still in college, and I believe around my age ( 22).

how does someone afford that level of gear in that quantity at that age...

not saying im rich or anything but at 29 I make a damn good living doing what I do and have a very healthy disposable income, but that would be a challenge to acquire by anyone @ 22

props to him for early success, trust fund, rich parents, or a combo of those.

• Members

how does someone afford that level of gear in that quantity at that age...

not saying im rich or anything but at 29 I make a damn good living doing what I do and have a very healthy disposable income, but that would be a challenge to acquire by anyone @ 22

props to him for early success, trust fund, rich parents, or a combo of those.

I was wondering that too. WTF that quality of gear at 22?

• Members
I hear ya, man. I recently made a spreadsheet and it was... humbling. Actually, it kinda pissed me off. I only have about 1/8th of your collection and yours are nicer on average, but I have way too much equipment... and I'm a modding fiend. I've bought three guitars just to have something to put a given set of pickups in.

:facepalm:

I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything new at all, then I won a Warmoth neck on the 'bay trying to keep up with the Doc Morbiuses of the world.

Damn pretty Warmoth necks.
:mad::lol:

Yeah, I'm actually doing better now. Even though some of my comments were a bit tongue in cheek, my last purchases were indeed only a couple pedals on blowout and a recording device. I haven't ordered a new guitar or amp since 12/31, so it's been almost 2 months, Yay! :thu:

I still browse the deals, but I can now cool most of my GAS jets since I've gotten most guitar styles and variations that I've thought I might want. And some of them just represent "getting in on the deals" like the blowouts on the Robot and VG Strat.

But, I wouldn't mind doing a bit of consolidating and upgrading, you know - like thinning out some of the American Series or MIM/MIJ strats for just one Custom Shop Strat (The EJ is the closest I have to that). I'd still luv a deep/bassy sounding Dreadnaught too. The Alvarez was a hell of a deal as a SDOTD for $999.99 but it doesn't have the deep Martin tone I desire. Sounds more typically Asian despite its Brazilian woods.

But I guess what I really just wanted to say is I'm glad I'm getting past the worst of the OCD GAS phase. It tires you out in more ways than one. But the rush was kind of fun.

So like you mentioned, I've got a lot of new pickups stored up and I want to get around to doing my own pickup mods, so I want that to be the next phase of this hobby.

The final phase of this pursuit will hopefully be carefully chosen liquidations.

And as far as wives go, sure she gets annoyed by the clutter (just a little bit from time to time) but she's often the little devil on my shoulder saying "it's beautiful" or "you don't have one like that", "you should get it!"

So sometimes the rest of you guys can appreciate a wife that slaps you upside the head to bring you back to your senses (within reason that is).

Right now I'd love to have 75% of the money I've spent on gear back in my hands. I'd use it to buy a snowbird house in Arizona for $70K

Oh well, better than crack and hookers. ;)

• Members

He's a pretty nice player too. One cool thing is he is still in college, and I believe around my age ( 22).

The thing is: That guy has teh cash and he can play. He nailed that song pretty darn good, probably better than I do even on a live gig so yeah...

this guy 1 - average HCEG 0

• Members

Well, at least he's using his parent's money properly. The kid can play, just went thru a couple of his vids.

Heard inside stories about roadies of a big band around here spending that kind of money on drugs alone, so I have no problem with a kid having a couple hundred guitars.

I only wish I had his free time to play.

Archived