You think you have too many guitars? Check this list out

campfirehero

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"If you need a spreadsheet to keep track of your guitars, you've got too many."

Love that. I don't think most guy hate the collector. They would just choose to spend that amount of money on a collection that would have more variety of flavors. It's like he has a great collection of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream, but has never been to Ben and Jerry's...

Is there anything wrong with having a bunch of Les Pauls or a bunch of strats in different custom colors?

I guess my collection sucks also because I have a bunch of Les Pauls.

• Members

Is there anything wrong with having a bunch of Les Pauls or a bunch of strats in different custom colors?

I guess my collection sucks also because I have a bunch of Les Pauls.

No collection sucks, if that's what you like. I think most, though, would have a more diverse collection. It is just what each person prefers or likes the best.

• Members

"Yeah, but can he play?"

Even if he can't, and is just spending his family's money - I'd say it's a big step up from blowing the fortune on designer clothes and other stuff that takes a huge hit in terms of depreciation. If his father is a studio drummer, and the boy and his dad have fun with it - good for them. I really do mean that.

As far as lack of diversity within the collection... to me, it's a matter of refinement of taste. It's appears that the guy knows what he likes, and pursues it accordingly. I just counted 14 Duo Sonics in my stash. A lot of people don't like those guitars, but I can tell anyone here how the shape of a Fender neck evolved from 1956 through 1960, and which design elements were used on later reissues.

Steve Brand - a pedal collector that sets up his booth at shows in the Northeast under the name "Pedal Pusher" had some good words for me when I sold him a bunch of pedals back in 2003. I made the comment "I can't believe how much I've spent on this stuff over the years..." His return was: "At least you didn't spend it on booze and strippers. Today, you're getting some of your money back."

Threads like this always bring out the haters.... last time I checked, this IS the Guitar Forum. If anything, this thread has prompted me to get off my ass and start entering all my crap into a spreadsheet. For those of you wanting to do the same but don't have Excel.... go check out www.openoffice.org . It's free, open source, and comes from Sun.

:wave:

• Members
my first amp was a Gorilla Tube Cruncher...haha brings back memories.

My dad bought me my Gorilla amp for me when I was 14 or 15 for like $60. I didn't even really want it but my dad insisted on me having it because he thought it would make a good portable amp.

The amp absolutely sucked. I would often leave it in the living room at my parents house and I would jam on it, while watching MTV trying to jam along to whatever music video was on television.

This was my main guitar at the time.

ppredator.JPG

• Members

What would you rather have. One cheap pile of {censored} guitar that you play 18 hours a day, and also a {censored}load of bills that your behind on, or a closet full of guitars that you don't have time to play and lots of money in the bank?

What?

I guess you're saying would you rather be rich or poor.

I've been poor and now I'm what most people would call middle class. I could buy more guitars if I wanted, right now I own 4 guitars and I could see getting a couple of more, any more then that they would just sit and collect dust.

Even if I won the lottery I just don't get the idea of buying a hundred guitars and do nothing more then look at them.

• Members
What I meant was. Acoustic, Les Paul style guitar, Electric w/P90's, 12 string, Strat style guitar, Tele style guitar, archtop, semi-hollow. After you have more than 20 guitars, you start to run out of different guitars to buy, and pretty soon you want a Goldtop Les Paul to go with your Sunburst Les Paul, etc...

You do?:):poke::) I think you would have to be a person with 1) the storage room; 2) disposable cash; 3) as much a collector as a player; 4) a very patient and understanding wife or be single.

• Members

Where do you store that many guitars and possibly keep all the acoustics properly humidifed ? Maintenance, insurance.....seems like a lot of hassle for a college student. I hope he locks them up during parties.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

This is not a very accurate list.. John Mayer does not own that many Gibsons. He is a strat man. why would he have more Gibsons then Fenders? He has way more hollowbodies and definitely does not own that many acoustics. And there's only a hand full of brands on this list. He has tons of different guitar brands in his collection such as Duesenberg, Alembic, Epiphone, PRS, Music Man.. and others. 

Archived