is mary janes last dance sped up? what the hell key is this song in..

pixelchemist

• Members

Those are the right chords. You'll have to retune slightly if you want to play along with the recording.

Sometimes they speed up a song a little after recording it to give it a little more sparke. When they do, it changes the pitch slightly. Another example is Ticket to Ride.

• Members

I sometime use Audacity to remedy these. You can import the track and then use a feature (I forget what its called by it comes with the package) to shift the tuning up or down and retain the tempo. Once you get it right, save it back out to a new file. Works good!

• Members

Also, in a recording studio, there is no rigid 440 A standard. Pros don't sit around methodically checking electric tuners. Tunings may be offset to put them in tune with other, harder-to-tune instruments or to compliment vocals. Or they may have just tuned by ear until it sounded good.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Made of Cones wrote:

God I love Audacity. It's taken over as my go-to program from Garageband and ProTools. I like it simple and it does everything else I need it to as well. I had no idea it had that feature.

I did everything in my power to hate the whole computer/guitar thing. After a while, you just have to accept when technology has moved forward.

What weirds me out most is what's becoming available via open source/free these days, like Audacity.

I remember in the late 1990's, a script like Wordpress or Joomla was *easily* six figures. Now, its literally free. Same with many others. Crazy how things change.

• Members

Similar problem when you try to play along to 3rd Eye Blind's s/t album, not a different vibration just odd open chords. 

Noticed a lot of you guys love Audacity, I tried it years ago but stuck with Goldwave.   Works just as well for me when I "fix" songs to play along in standard tuning.  I never liked the tempo/pitch preservation artifacts (sounds **** to me) though, how are they on Audacity?

Archived