The Hamer Squad

Fade2Grey

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, you've got my attention...These are awesome looking guitars!

:thu:

I'm currently looking for a dual humbucker type guitar and want to find a brand/model that offers a quality build and finish. I've always wanted a Gibson LP (or possibly an SG) but have been disappointed by all the negative reviews regarding QC issues. Therefore, I recently started looking at some used 90's era Gibsons on ebay...Best selection around, but the whole buy it before I can try it thing scares me! Anyway, I've also considered a PRS (too much money for me) or a custom Carvin built to my specs (mixed reviews on these)...So, what do I need to know about Hamer?

Again, I'm looking for a "Player" like the Gibson/PRS, dual humbucker setup...I'd prefer made in USA, locking tuners, mahogany body (does not need a maple top), rosewood or ebony finger board, etc....Take me to school! Are there certain models/production years that provide better quality...Or, are the newer ones just as solid? Please advise...I really have no idea what to expect with the Hamer brand!

FWIW, I'm also looking for affordability...THANKS!

• Members

Originally posted by dewees

Ah - I see it now. I thought they were special coversion rings. It's just black around the pickups in the picture, huh?

Yup! Simple solution that works perfectly. I'm still deciding on the pups. They sound wonderful but maybe, just a tad thin. I was thinking of changing them out to get more body to the sound but no, they'll be staying. It was just a question of learning to adjust my amp for them. Mini humbuckers and semihollows are a terrific match!

• Members
Originally posted by tlchase68

So, what do I need to know about Hamer?

Again, I'm looking for a "Player" like the Gibson/PRS, dual humbucker setup...I'd prefer made in USA, locking tuners, mahogany body (does not need a maple top), rosewood or ebony finger board, etc....Take me to school! Are there certain models/production years that provide better quality...Or, are the newer ones just as solid? Please advise...I really have no idea what to expect with the Hamer brand!

FWIW, I'm also looking for affordability...THANKS!

af4c_1.JPG

Dont know your budget but I just picked this up for $600+. I don't necessarily think that it would be right for you but, the deal is indicative of the level of Hamer quality, i.e. a 20 year old mid-level mahogany/mahogany model still moving serious coin. I think I stole it.

AFAIK, all Hamers are "players". This is why nearly all used models show some appreciable wear. I assume, since you mention Gib/PRS, that your budget is in the $1000-1500 range. If so, my recommendation is to play a fresh Hamer before you make your decision.

Something along these lines...

product_1079_6665.jpg

hamer_monaco_lg.jpg

or even

Hamer_Standard_cherryburst_fullfront.jpg

They wont be easy to find, though.

• Members
Originally posted by ClamBoy

I hate you. I've always wanted a Steve Stevens... the original 24.75" scale with the round body.

As for the cracking... I worry about mine too, but when it happens, it happens. It's not that bad of a repair to have done in trusted hands of course.

I'm with ya on that one! I have wanted a Steve Stevens since I first laid eyes on 'em back in the 80's. I just loved the way they looked (probably my favorite designed guitar as far as aesthetics go) w/ the radical short horns, ebony fretboard, crowns and just the whole package. Anyways, too cut too the chase, I finally got my hands on one about 4 months back and I couldn't be happier. Got my hands on it 20 years later than I would have liked but hey.......somethings are worth waiting for! It's a beautiful Gold finished SS1 custom, which also just happened to be the color i wanted. Its a wonderful playing and sounding instrument. Also, luckily the one I got does not have any cracks as far as the headstock goes. I cannot believe the number of SS's Ive seen with headstock cracks, breaks etc. which probably has a lot to do with the very skinny neck and the 2 rather large screws for the Floyd Rose that go right thru the thinnest part of the neck. Keep looking on the bay or other places where used guitars usually show up. While not a dime-a-dozen, they do occasionally show up on a regular basis.

• Members

Originally posted by sitamoia50

I'm with ya on that one! I have wanted a Steve Stevens since I first laid eyes on 'em back in the 80's. I just loved the way they looked (probably my favorite designed guitar as far as aesthetics go) w/ the radical short horns, ebony fretboard, crowns and just the whole package. Anyways, too cut too the chase, I finally got my hands on one about 4 months back and I couldn't be happier. Got my hands on it 20 years later than I would have liked but hey.......somethings are worth waiting for! It's a beautiful Gold finished SS1 custom, which also just happened to be the color i wanted. Its a wonderful playing and sounding instrument. Also, luckily the one I got does not have any cracks as far as the headstock goes. I cannot believe the number of SS's Ive seen with headstock cracks, breaks etc. which probably has a lot to do with the very skinny neck and the 2 rather large screws for the Floyd Rose that go right thru the thinnest part of the neck. Keep looking on the bay or other places where used guitars usually show up. While not a dime-a-dozen, they do occasionally show up on a regular basis.

Pics, my man. Let's see her! :D

As you can see from the pic above, my SS has rosewood board. I didn't know they were available with ebony but I think that'd make it feel even nicer. That's a scary thought, because I've always thought this guitar was about perfect.

• Members
Originally posted by rog951

Pics, my man. Let's see her!
:D

As you can see from the pic above, my SS has rosewood board. I didn't know they were available with ebony but I think that'd make it feel even nicer. That's a scary thought, because I've always thought this guitar was about perfect.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
You 2 make me so ANGRY!!!

I'm still waiting to get my dream Hamer... :(

sigh...

ANYWAY... the SS does look nice BUT one of the most unique shapes/design from Hamer has got to be the Prototype/Phantom... it's just so different. It's not a strat, not a Les Paul, not an SG, not a Jazz, it's a little bit of everything AND tastefully so... The double-single bridge just wraps up the unique look.... :thu:
I wonder if it came with a transparent finish? Can you imagine:

Amber finish, flame maple pickguard, boomerang inlays, black hardware... :freak::D

• Members
Originally posted by Fade2Grey

I wonder if it came with a transparent finish? Can you imagine:

Amber finish, flame maple pickguard, boomerang inlays, black hardware...
:freak::D

Yes as a matter of fact they did offer the Phantom in a transparent orange/amber color that was breathtaking.

Of course a custom Phantom could have any color you could think of.

• Members
Originally posted by Raymund

Fade2Grey: 2 nice ones of the Hamer Species are not so far away from you. Hamer Artist Custom Quilt and Hamer Chapparal.

HamerArtist.jpg

:love:

Nice one, Raymund...

Btw, have you seen the HAZE?!!? Oh wait... Jakarta never gets the haze... :mad::p;)

Now back to guitars.....

That artist certainly looks GOOD... btw, I noticed that your saddle adjustments are all the way down... problems with bridge placement? I sure hope not... Or is it our tropical climate destroying these beauties?

Or is it the HAZE? :D sorry... couldn't resist...

Raymund, in case you have not realised, I am not serious about the haze allegations.. just poking fun... Regional banter sounds good to you?

• Members
Originally posted by sitamoia50

I hate you too ;)

I've actually seen them more often than I thought I would. It's just a matter of timing, $$ and other competing vices I have to feed. One day though... one day.

• Members

Hey mboyd784,

That's an awesome looking guitar, and you got a killer deal...You are going to enjoy that one for a long time!

Thanks for the suggestions...There is a shop near by that carries Hamer products...I can't wait to see some of these guitars in person!

Later

• Members

Originally posted by tlchase68

Hey mboyd784,

That's an awesome looking guitar, and you got a killer deal...You are going to enjoy that one for a long time!

Thanks for the suggestions...There is a shop near by that carries Hamer products...I can't wait to see some of these guitars in person!

Later

Much love...glad I could help...good luck!

• Members
Originally posted by xanaducomplex

1980 Special (note that the maple cap is one solid piece)

DSC00037.jpg

Wow... :thu:

I love them specials... The one-piece maple top is just the {censored}! Looks really unique, I'll bet!

Now I'm also gassing for a Special FM.... :(
And a Special K... but Willcutt is asking for 3k for one of those! :(

edit: How is the sustain on that? Goes on for years? How different is the sustain block compared to other bridges?

• Members
Originally posted by conrad

Count me in :

my oldests: 1977 and 1978 sunbursts

sunburst18-8007.jpg

in between are another 12

my latest : 2006 Redwood

redwood003.jpg

NNNNNnnnnnniiiiccccceeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are Beauts. I also see a black Hamer Duotone in the background of your Sunburst picture. Nice Hamer collection you've got .

Archived