The Hamer Squad

Fade2Grey

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Proud owner of a 1989 USA Californian, and an import Standard.

100_1331.jpg

Hey, late to the party here but I can now officially join.

The standard in my pic is the same one as above after PI donated it to the giveaway and Atrox did his magic on it.

100_0689.jpg

This is actually Atrox' pic while the git was in process.

HamerExplorer.jpg

• Members

so i just registered, 1st post actually. I went to a used guitar shop called Atomic Music in Beltsville MD today and i found a used Hamer xt series

standard f/t for $400. I loved how it sounded and played, for those of you who have played it is it worth $400, can you tell me if you had any issues and if so what? And i'm seeing a lot of standard f/t with the Explorer looking body, this one did NOT look like an explorer, it was round. It has the flametop looking body, i believe.

• Members
so i just registered, 1st post actually. I went to a used guitar shop called Atomic Music in Beltsville MD today and i found a used Hamer xt series

standard f/t for $400. I loved how it sounded and played, for those of you who have played it is it worth $400, can you tell me if you had any issues and if so what? And i'm seeing a lot of standard f/t with the Explorer looking body, this one did NOT look like an explorer, it was round. It has the flametop looking body, i believe.

Like a doublecut?:confused:

• Members

Sign me up:

Last year, I scored a used 1987 Hamer Cruise 4-string bass. Pearl finish, black hardware, set neck, Bartolini P-J pickups (retrofitted). It really snarls when you crank the gain.

Here's the story: I first saw it in a guitar store about two and a half years ago. It was selling for $599, and the salesman said they'd had it since the store opened six years ago (they originally had it listed for $1,200). I tried it out and was blown away. At the time, my girlfriend (now my wife) played bass so I figured any time I needed a bass I'd borrow hers. So I put it back.

But I knew that bass was a hell of a deal (hell, the pickups alone are $400 new!), so anyone I talked to who was looking for a bass, I'd tell them about it and say, "Forget about the colour, just play the thing. It's amazing!" However, they'd all see the colour, go "Ewww!" and not even pick it up.

A year ago, my wife tells me I need to buy a bass so I can try out for Victor Wooten's bass camp. I remember that Hamer bass. Sure enough, it's sitting in the back of the store, collecting dust, and the price has dropped to $499. I play it unplugged and through two amps: a 1965 Ampeg B-15 and a PoS Traynor. It sounds terrific every time.

I offer the salesman $400, tax included. He says, "No f*****g way!" I thank him politely, and hang the Hamer back on its peg. I'm halfway out the door when the salesman says, "Can you pay cash?" Five minutes later, I'm down $400 and up one Hamer Cruise! :thu:

I wasn't so lucky with a red 1981 Hamer Flying-V. I saw it in the store, played it, but I didn't have the $$$. By the time I had the money, it was already gone. :cry:

• 7 months later...
  • Members
...but WHY!?!?!? the rest didn't speak to you?? I kinda like that Studio...

I had to sell them for financial reasons. All were superb instruments. If I had kept the Superpro, I would have changed the stock pickups though.
The people who bought them from me loved them.
I should not visit this thread until I have some money. Seeing these Hamers makes me want another one (or two or three) :D

Archived