The Hamer Squad

Fade2Grey

• Members

a pair of pretty Koa Mirage's.

w97HamerUSA_Koa-018.jpg

w97HamerUSA_Koa-016.jpg

w97HamerUSA_Koa-015.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in the late 90s I got my first "serious" guitar. I was a teenager. It was a hamer usa mirage 2. I got it used for like $500 (a good deal). It was my main guitar for everything for years to come, I loved it, a couple years ago it and all my other gear was stolen and I've never again been able to afford another (they've only gone up in price).

the pic sent chills up my spine since I so rarely see these guitars anywhere.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Keeping the thread alive...

Recently, I got it in my head to start looking around for a new guitar. Figured this time I would look into the budget(sub $1000) retro inspired/tribute guitars that have been hitting the stores. I've never been a Les Paul kinda guy but first up was the new 60s Tribute LP Studio. It didn't grab me at all so next was the 60s Tribute SG. I love SGs but this one didn't work for me either, guess I've been spoiled with my SG Classic. Finally, I found a Fender Classic Players 60s Strat in Sonic Blue. Now things were getting interesting. Looked good, felt good, played good, decent price too. I haven't had a rosewood fingerboard Fender since I got rid of my Jaguar over 30 years ago. Head home to think this out since I'm in no hurry.

Fast forward to this week, I decide to drop into a little neighborhood guitar shop that I don't visit very often. Hanging on the wall right in the middle of the budget Asian imports was this 1981 Hamer Sunburst:

hamer4.jpg

Price was well below current market value and included a case. All the new guitars I was looking at only came with mediocre gig bags. Factoring the price of a good case into the bill, the vintage Hamer actually came out cheaper than the new guitars that I had been looking at.

So go out shopping for a retro/repro style guitar and come home with a vintage collectible. Gotta love guitar shopping.

I don't recall that vintage of Hamer coming with black trim(binding, pickup surrounds and knobs) but it looks original. The speed knobs aren't original but a broken piece of one of the originals was still in the case. It was also black. The black trim just makes it even more unique.

hamer3.jpg

hamer1.jpg

• Members

Keeping the thread alive...

Recently, I got it in my head to start looking around for a new guitar. Figured this time I would look into the budget(sub $1000) retro inspired/tribute guitars that have been hitting the stores. I've never been a Les Paul kinda guy but first up was the new 60s Tribute LP Studio. It didn't grab me at all so next was the 60s Tribute SG. I love SGs but this one didn't work for me either, guess I've been spoiled with my SG Classic. Finally, I found a Fender Classic Players 60s Strat in Sonic Blue. Now things were getting interesting. Looked good, felt good, played good, decent price too. I haven't had a rosewood fingerboard Fender since I got rid of my Jaguar over 30 years ago. Head home to think this out since I'm in no hurry.

Fast forward to this week, I decide to drop into a little neighborhood guitar shop that I don't visit very often. Hanging on the wall right in the middle of the budget Asian imports was this 1981 Hamer Sunburst:

hamer4.jpg

Price was well below current market value and included a case. All the new guitars I was looking at only came with mediocre gig bags. Factoring the price of a good case into the bill, the vintage Hamer actually came out cheaper than the new guitars that I had been looking at.

So go out shopping for a retro/repro style guitar and come home with a vintage collectible. Gotta love guitar shopping.

I don't recall that vintage of Hamer coming with black trim(binding, pickup surrounds and knobs) but it looks original. The speed knobs aren't original but a broken piece of one of the originals was still in the case. It was also black. The black trim just makes it even more unique.

hamer3.jpg

hamer1.jpg

Wow it that hawt. Excellent find and score.:thu:

• 2 years later...
  • Members

This is Jezebelle. 1994 USA Hamer Special FM. She has been with me on countless tours and studio sessions. We have opened shows for everybody from Tesla to REO, played for a handful of people, played for over 30,000. She is the only woman I will ever truly love. She's never let me down; once, on a tour, I had her strung with .11's (I sing and play rhythm) and she went 3 straight shows without needing TUNED. No lie, the tech would plug her into the strobe and just throw up his hands in amazement. I could go on, but I'd start to get emotional. Enjoy!

hamer.jpg

Archived