The PACIFICA thread!

Jkater

• Members
:thu:

I recently 'upgraded' my Pacifica with a $5 GFS pickguard and a couple of Jay's clearance single coils...

went from this:

3081549956_c0d372ce1b.jpg

to this:

3080712139_0ffbdf83b2.jpg

I just picked up a used PAC 012, and was thinking of maybe doing some mods
also. Did the pickguard find without any dremeling done to it?
Although I must say I'm pretty impressed wit hthe stock pups' sound.

Has anyone tried replacing the bridge? Was wondering of one of GFS's would work as a drop in.
yamaha001.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Has anyone tried replacing the bridge? Was wondering of one of GFS's would work as a drop in.

yamaha001.jpg

Hey, that's some good stuff! I plan to do something similar if I ever decide I need a straty guitar. You should just email Jay about the bridge. He'd know.

• Members

Very rare! I've only seen one red one on (of all places) Musicgoround 2 or 3 years ago. I think it was only $249 with HSC and I waited too long and as the saying goes, "You snooze, you lose."

Hmmm... Got a PAC 821r in a pawnshop nearby. Had all of the finish stripped off. I believe it had the Floyd Rose II on it... Think they wanted $175.

• Members
OK, so it's not as lofty as some of the more recently-seen ones on this thread. But there's a pic below anyway (please pardon the phone-cam quality), and a (brief) story.

Like so many here, in my younger days, I went through some great guitars (I was a Gibson guy; among the ones I now regret letting go was a cherry burst LP Custom and a red '68 335 12-string...). For the past several years, I've been down to two: a '58 ES-125 with one (neck) soapbar, and an Ovation Glenn Campbell acoustic from the late 70s.

Lately, I've gotten an itch to acquire a solid-body, one that could be modded easily and without too much regret. I was contemplating, in turn, a MIM Strat, an Ibanez RG, a GuitarFetish strat clone, or a parts guitar from StewMac or the like.

Then yesterday, cruising Craigslist, I noticed an ad for a guitar for sale, a Pacifica 112. The seller was throwing in a practice amp too (I didn't need it, but what the heck), and the price was right, so I bought it. It could use a little cleaning and a mild setup job, and the strings are too light for my taste, but it is a *player*. The quality really impresses me. I think/hope it will be a great "platform" for trying out pickups, etc. I'll probably start asking questions about that on these forums soon, once I start tinkering...

Best thing of all: $60.
:)
Quite likely the best sixty bucks I've ever spent.

HAH ! I win..mine only cost me $25 (although you did get an amp too)
Before you diss the stock pups, give them a listen..I'm pretty blown away with how they work in my rig.

• Members

HAH ! I win..mine only cost me $25 (although you did get an amp too)

Before you diss the stock pups, give them a listen..I'm pretty blown away with how they work in my rig.

Well, I'd say I got an "amp"... A 15W FirstAct... $25 is terrific.

I'd be curious to know the answer to the bridge question above, too: Will a strat-sized Wilkinson/Schaller/whatever trem fit in a Pacifica? I'm feeling like the bridge/switch/pots will be the first upgrade, since the tuner's aren't bad at all.

• Members

Well, I'd say I got an "amp"... A 15W FirstAct... $25 is terrific.

I'd be curious to know the answer to the bridge question above, too: Will a strat-sized Wilkinson/Schaller/whatever trem fit in a Pacifica? I'm feeling like the bridge/switch/pots will be the first upgrade, since the tuner's aren't bad at all.

Seriously, if you could fit the GFS Wilkinson bridge, it would be a no brainer. Someone contact Jay and find out! I'd do it myself but I don't have a Pac to measure the cavity and screw holes.

• Members

I think the Wilky is a 2 post mount, versus the 6 screw bridge the PAC has.

I guess you could do some modding to the body to get it to fit, but I wouldn't /couldn't do that since my tools & mad skillz are lacking.;)

• Members
Here's my son & I with my 012DLX. My gf and I have been struggling just to keep food on the table and pay rent for the last couple of years, and are just starting to get our heads above water right now. I had sold or traded ALL of my gear to keep us fed, so she surprised me by getting me this guitar for my birthday last year. It's a humble guit, to be sure, but it sure sounds great, and due to the story, I'll never get rid of it.

menmine.jpg

Dude, that is a touching story.
When I hear things like that, I just want to go to Vegas and kick my ex-wife square in the ass. God, what a bitch.:mad:

• Members

Scored another PAC, this one an EG112, & a tiny Squier amp for $40 on CL
This one's a bit more thrashed than the other one I got, but with new electronics, it will rise from the ashes.

Emailed Jay at GFS about if his trems & pickguards would a PAC, & he said he wasn't familiar with the guitars :confused:
Anyways, I took apart the EG112 this morning, removing the bridge assy , & dropped in a stock Asian Squier bridge, and the mounting screw holes align perfect, so it looks like it's a go for using the GFS trems in a Pacifica.:thu:
Was wondering if anyone has tried one of their pickguards on a PAC build?

• Members
Scored another PAC, this one an EG112, & a tiny Squier amp for $40 on CL

This one's a bit more thrashed than the other one I got, but with new electronics, it will rise from the ashes.

Emailed Jay at GFS about if his trems & pickguards would a PAC, & he said he wasn't familiar with the guitars
:confused:
Anyways, I took apart the EG112 this morning, removing the bridge assy , & dropped in a stock Asian Squier bridge, and the mounting screw holes align perfect, so it looks like it's a go for using the GFS trems in a Pacifica.
Was wondering if anyone has tried one of their pickguards on a PAC build?

Go here. I just put one in a Pacifica.:wave:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2364775

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I own a 112 (same shape and design as the 012) and have been exploring the possibility of getting a replacement pickguard. From what I can tell, it's a different shape to strats, Fender or Squire. At the very least, a strat pickguard requires new holes.

Alternatively, there guys, and these guys sell custom made pickguards that will fit a pacifica. It's a bit more expensive, but probably worth the extra bucks for the guarantee that it will fit without using a dremel and a drill :)

No. But I have replaced the saddles with graph techs. IMHO, they give a slightly warmer, more rounded tone and have improved the sustain. In retrospect, if I knew it was possible to get a reasonable quality replacement bridge to slot in without drilling or routing, I probably would have done that instead of just replacing the saddles. Live and learn :facepalm: The graph techs are nice, though.

• Members

I'm pretty sure that the GFS bridge WILL drop in, as the 6 screw holes align perfectly to a MII Squier bridge, which has the same dimensions as the Yamaha bridge (and the GFS replacement).:thu:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I posted this question to the Yamaholics thread, but it might be better served here, since it is Pacifica-specific (trying saying THAT 3 times quickly :))

Aaaaanyway, I recently tried to replace the covers on the (white) single coil pickups on my pacifica so they would match a recently acquired (black) humbucker. Only, "standard" single coil pickup covers have slightly different pole spacing! I guess because the pacifica has a slightly narrower neck than most strat-style guitars.

Anyone know where I can get black pickup covers that will fit? I spoke to a couple of local dealers and they claim that they can only source white covers from yamaha directly. :mad:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
dayum, that's a real nice one!
Not sure of the model though, but mos def a high end one.

Maybe JKater can ID it, he's pretty good at sussing out Yamaha infos

Thanks for the compliment but Flogger knows his stuff 100x than I do... Also Zenbu is pretty knowledgeable.

I don't know that model. the headstock is completely different from anything yamaha I know of but the body is positively pacifica-ish...

Archived