The PACIFICA thread!

Jkater

• Members

As did I,it got sold to finance the 904. I'd put it on the Fender Masterbuilt shelf, myself. There are a ton of details that are right with these. the rounded neck heel, the truss rod access, slab board, tilt back headstock and staggered keys. The sustain is almost organ-like.

My 904 is the only one of my four electrics that doesn't have a "nasal" acoustic sound (I don't know how to better describe it). It has a beautiful sustain and resonnace that remains true all over the fretboard. I think the compound radius and the quality of the fretwork plays a part in this but there can be no doubts that someone selected the tonewoods very carefully for these guitars. The combination of a swamp ash cap and choice alder back is not something we see every day.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My 904 is the only one of my four electrics that doesn't have a "nasal" acoustic sound (I don't know how to better describe it). It has a beautiful sustain and resonnace that remains true all over the fretboard. I think the compound radius and the quality of the fretwork plays a part in this but there can be no doubts that someone selected the tonewoods very carefully for these guitars. The combination of a swamp ash cap and choice alder back is not something we see every day.

It's a first for me, almost like a StratoPaulster.

• Members
Yes! Excellent guitar. The maple neck looks and feels sexy. The H-S-H config is maximum flexibility. Not sure how great the pickups are. That is from a period of meh sounding electronics but the guitar construction is top notch! Are you getting one? I have a RGX211II inbound at the moment.

I hope so! I lost my job last year and still looking for one these days. So If I have the chance I will consider the RGX-421DM I saw a couple of days before. Although it was the older model, the store has it new and sealed! :love: But then I have to think about this one I saw in another store as well:

http://www.dustbowl.co.jp/old_guitar/yamaha/rgx821dmr_vb.htm

That's the gorgeous RGX-821DMR! Although the one I saw is in orange burst. Again, anyone played it? I did, and sounds fantastic!
If I get the 421DM, I will change the pickups to Dimarzio Paf Pro I guess.
Anyway, those older RGX models, at least from 421 on, can compete head to head with the MIJ Ibanez RGs with more than half the price!

• Members
I hope so! I lost my job last year and still looking for one these days. So If I have the chance I will consider the RGX-421DM I saw a couple of days before. Although it was the older model, the store has it new and sealed!
:love:
But then I have to think about this one I saw in another store as well:

http://www.dustbowl.co.jp/old_guitar/yamaha/rgx821dmr_vb.htm

That's the gorgeous RGX-821DMR! Although the one I saw is in orange burst. Again, anyone played it? I did, and sounds fantastic!

Holy cow! New and sealed?!!? Amazing. Where are you? I would love to have either guitar!!!

• Members
That's a real cool guitar with all kinds of small details that set it apart. The side markers on the side of the neck are beautiful and unique.

Yamaha has a few high end models made outside of Japan that are top notch. The hand made acoustics LL-6 and LL-16 are spectacular example of that. My APX-9na is about a thousand bucks and highly detailed (made in Taiwan).

So true. For example, the SA-503 TVL is made in Indonesia, but it is just as good as anything I played before including the damned Gibsons. One cannot tell by just playing that the TVL is made in Indonesia!
By the way, in Taiwan the non-MIJ Yamahas are so cheap. The
APX-9na is merely USD400 or less here.
And also, If you wonder how the RGXTT sounds, the video you posted is the right guide. The Pac Tybor is using has the tone and nuance of my TT, although with me it sounds more like Eric Johnson cause I am using a Fender Blues jR and an overdrive pedal. :thu:
Oh, speaking of me playing the TT, here is the stupid video and playing of me:

I have no time and mood for making another better video these days, so here's a better one from another guy:

:thu:

• Members

I really like the Tele shaped Yamaha's
- very underrated i think !

The start ones does nothing for me - well, no strat does !

Ahem, to bring the thread back on topic, here's one of the Tele shaped Yamahas mentioned by SirJackdeFuzz. A Pacifica 302S to be specific.

I got this with an assist from David Aranow, who graciously picked it up for me in Florida and shipped it to me. Thanks again Dave. :wave:

CIMG0473.jpg

CIMG0476.jpg

CIMG0479.jpg

• Members
CIMG0473.jpg

:love:

I like that even more than the actual Telecaster. I'd be tempted to see if the headstock could be reshaped like a Tele, but the body on that one is really nicely shaped. The angle from the upper left bout to upper right really flows.

WANT!

• Members

this guitar, alongside with the mike stern sig model 1511, are excellent guitars. however, i dun like them personally because of the inaccessibility in truss rod adjustment. each tiime u need to perform one means un-bolting the neck off the body. too much of it causes the wood thread to be worn off

Here's the guitar that qualified me to start this thread. I am very proud to own this guitar. I had to special order it and as soon as I got it, it was taken off the website of the (huge) store where I bought it: Discontinued in Europe and already not avaliable in the US. It is made in Japan and USA and was the top of the Pacifica line at that point in time. Interestingly, it is the most stratlike of all the PACS (especially soundwise) with less bling but highly refined features and a custom shop feel to it (no kidding). Thick swamp ash cap on a choice two-piece alder body, compound radius, top notch electronics, hardware and pups, etc. etc. At 965 euros ($1,200), it is a mind boggling steal.

Contour.jpg
Headstock.jpg
Warmothneck.jpg
PAC904.jpg
tremcavity.jpg
Tremarm.jpg
Electroniccavity.jpg
Detailfrets.jpg
bridge2.jpg

• Members

Ahem, to bring the thread back on topic, here's one of the Tele shaped Yamahas mentioned by SirJackdeFuzz. A Pacifica 302S to be specific.

I got this with an assist from David Aranow, who graciously picked it up for me in Florida and shipped it to me. Thanks again Dave.
:wave:

CIMG0473.jpg
CIMG0476.jpg
CIMG0479.jpg

There we go !!!

Will rock this Yamaha and day of the week :evil:

• Members
this guitar, alongside with the mike stern sig model 1511, are excellent guitars. however, i dun like them personally because of the inaccessibility in truss rod adjustment. each tiime u need to perform one means un-bolting the neck off the body. too much of it causes the wood thread to be worn off

You might be right about the Mike Stern sig but the 904 has a warmoth neck with an access to the truss rod via a little plate at the last fret. Easy access, actually.

Trussrodcover.jpg
Trussrod.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On the subject of top end Pacificas, Here's the USA made (custom shop) Pacifica 1421 (not mine unfortunately). It's a neck-through but with a fancy multi-layer body.

I remember seeing that one on eBay. That's actually a 1412. Rik Emmet played one of those. :)

The 1421 did not have a flame top, and had 2 humbuckers. The 1412 had tone chambers.

Here's my former 1421:
1038595990031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

1038596040031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

1038596073031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

1038596125031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived