The PACIFICA thread!

Jkater

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Pretty much my absolute dream guitar. Actually, no "pretty much" about it. The color and everything are exactly what I am looking for. Why did yo let it get away?
:cry:

The same reason why I sometimes sell other gear: to pay for medical expenses :(
Fortunately after 13 years of living in daily pain, I can now say that my health is improving. I had a near-fatal motorcycle accident in 1996.

The guy who bought the guitar also said it was his dream guitar. He registered on eBay just to buy it, and dealing with him was a pleasure. It's the nicest Yamaha I've played. When I bought it I also considered a Weddington, and would love to play one some day.

• Members
The same reason why I sometimes sell other gear: to pay for medical expenses
:(
Fortunately after 13 years of living in daily pain, I can now say that my health is improving. I had a near-fatal motorcycle accident in 1996.

The guy who bought the guitar also said it was his dream guitar. He registered on eBay just to buy it, and dealing with him was a pleasure. It's the nicest Yamaha I've played. When I bought it I also considered a Weddington, and would love to play one some day.

Wish I had a clever reply for that. All I can say is, sorry dude. Glad things are looking up, though!

• Members

Eddie, Was your 1421 at the same stratospheric quality level as the 1412 posted higher up? ( neck-through, complicated muti-layering of the body, etc.) With the model number, I understand that the "14" is how high it is in the food chain and that the "21" means two HB and one SC (I would not have misnamed the other one if I had paid attention to that one). They were made in California, I believe. I sure hope you did at least get some bucks for it. They go for nearly $2000 on e-bay.

• Members

I don't recall the selling price, but it was below $2000. I think it was around $1600 when I bought it, so my Buy It Now must have been $1600 or less. On the other hand, I should have adjusted for inflation since I got mine in the 90s :D

Same quality as the 1412. Not as fancy looking, though, since it lacked the flamed maple top. I think it was a basswood body with a maple top.
Both were designed by Rich Lasner, who also designed the Weddington line.
Here's a fairly recent interview:
http://www.novacron.com/index.php/main/view/rich_lasner_on_the_yamaha_pacifica_series/

I don't recall whether it was made in California. For some reason I think it was from Japan, but I'm not sure.

I just uploaded this old picture for your viewing pleasure :)

Rik and his 1412
2738861060031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

• Members

Same quality as the 1412. Not as fancy looking, though, since it lacked the flamed maple top. I think it was a basswood body with a maple top.

Both were designed by Rich Lasner, who also designed the Weddington line.

Here's a fairly recent interview:

I don't recall whether it was made in California. For some reason I think it was from Japan, but I'm not sure.

Here's an excerpt from the interview you posted pertaining to your former guitar (1400's):

Q: The Ibanez Jems and RGs have stayed exceptionally popular but the 1412/1421 was never a hot seller and has largely fallen into obscurity, despite being an excellent design. Any idea why? Was the 1412/1421 too upscale, or did Yamaha have problems establishing themselves in a niche market?

A: The Pacifica 1400s were tremendously hard to produce (look at the precision level of the various pieces of wood at the joints where they intersect other wood in the joint in the prototype photo!) and the fall-out rate in production was prohibitive. The guitars were also frankly too pricey for Yamaha

• Members

Yes, they were too expensive. $1600 in 1992 would be like a $2500 instrument today. Perhaps price-wise it can be compared today to a Yamaha SBG1000 which sells for $1999.

The level of detail was amazing. The inlays were a beautiful combination of abalone and MOP.
1038596125031918988S600x600Q85.jpg
Frets and binding were perfect. I don't recall a single flaw on that guitar.

But I guess that not many people would spend that much on a Yamaha. They seem to be very successful with cheaper models, and their quality is also quite good on their less expensive lines. I loved the AES720 I had. Nothing "fancy" about that one, just great sounds and overall comfortable to play. The strings did feel a bit tight, but it was nothing major. I've been happy with Yamaha :)

• Members
Yes, they were too expensive. $1600 in 1992 would be like a $2500 instrument today. Perhaps price-wise it can be compared today to a Yamaha SBG1000 which sells for $1999.

The level of detail was amazing. The inlays were a beautiful combination of abalone and MOP.

1038596125031918988S600x600Q85.jpg
Frets and binding were perfect. I don't recall a single flaw on that guitar.

But I guess that not many people would spend that much on a Yamaha. They seem to be very successful with cheaper models, and their quality is also quite good on their less expensive lines. I loved the AES720 I had. Nothing "fancy" about that one, just great sounds and overall comfortable to play. The strings did feel a bit tight, but it was nothing major. I've been happy with Yamaha
:)

And yet, what's $2500 for an intrument of such superlative quality? Much lesser guitars cost that much, nowadays.

• Members
Here's an excerpt from the interview you posted pertaining to your former guitar (1400's):

Q: The Ibanez Jems and RGs have stayed exceptionally popular but the 1412/1421 was never a hot seller and has largely fallen into obscurity, despite being an excellent design. Any idea why? Was the 1412/1421 too upscale, or did Yamaha have problems establishing themselves in a niche market?

A: The Pacifica 1400s were tremendously hard to produce (look at the precision level of the various pieces of wood at the joints where they intersect other wood in the joint in the prototype photo!) and the fall-out rate in production was prohibitive. The guitars were also frankly too pricey for Yamaha

• Members

What's wrong with that brand name? A guitar, clearly hand made with specs to die for and built by some of the best in the entire industry and people don't buy it because it says Yamaha on the headstock?

Happens every day. When i started with MF, we didn't have Fender. Our Yamaha Pacificas did really well. Then we got Fender. No one bought Yamaha again. I would put a USA Pacifica right next to a USA Fender--no contest. The Yamaha looked better, played better, and sounded better. Customers would even say as much. And then buy the Fender. Drove me nuts.

Heck, just read these boards for a while and you will now it's true.

• Members

And yet, what's $2500 for an intrument of such superlative quality? Much lesser guitars cost that much, nowadays.

I agree, but as Yarbicus mentioned brand name plays a huge role in many people's minds.

Not many people want a "real Yamaha" although they are thrilled by having "real Fender" or "real Gibson" regardless of their quality.

I remember being able to get a Les Paul VM for $560, brand new. It had the "advantages" of being a real Gibson, made in the USA, and included a Gibson case. I passed.

A short while later I played a Yamaha AES720. I bought it. $325 brand new.

Since most people keep on ignoring Yamaha and similar brands, we have the advantage of finding some amazing deals on quality gear. Resale value can be a problem, though. I lost money when I sold my Hamer, and will lose money selling my G&L. If they were Gibson or Fender people would pay more for the brand. In fact, the last Gibson I had was a Les Paul Standard. Within a couple of weeks I put it on eBay for what I had paid brand new, and when the auction ended I sold it for a 70% profit.

Since I've gotten my Yamaha gear at blowout prices I've been able to sell it without losing money. Perhaps the exception was that 1421 since I had paid full price. In the country where I bought it full price was actually a good deal. Usually gear was more expensive due to import fees and other taxes.

• Members

Eddie, I can't quote your sig but my heart goes to you for the ordeal that you seem to have been going through with your health. Money is one thing and can be a huge bugger but more importantly, I hope you're OK, man. All the best for a good health and recovery.

• Members

I have a pearl white 1412 0r 1421, I lucked out on it about 7 years ago for 350.00. It is a bit road worn with dings and a few chips, but it is a hell of a guitar. One thing that is very interesting is the width of the neck, it must be one of the widest I have, extremely comfortable. It looks cool in the white pearl/bound in ivory with the black hardware. I also have a PAC 1221s and a 1230, both tele style bodies one H/S/H and the other w/ mini Hums x 3.
I just picked it up for 289.00, I think it is the same one I stupidly sold a few years back. There is a rare blue metallic one on ebay at the moment.

• Members

Thanks Jkater. I'm doing really good these days. Now it's just a matter of paying the bills. Even with insurance the MRIs and X-Rays were expensive, but fortunately I'm feeling great these days, and I avoided some surgeries and meds which I hate taking. Things are looking good :)

• Members
Thanks Jkater. I'm doing really good these days. Now it's just a matter of paying the bills. Even with insurance the MRIs and X-Rays were expensive, but fortunately I'm feeling great these days, and I avoided some surgeries and meds which I hate taking. Things are looking good
:)

:thu:

Good luck with paying those bills. :( (Hang on to your favorite guitar!)

• Members

Ok, I recently posted these in teh Yamaholics thread but no harm in posting here, too!

Yamaha Pac 821D (from the guide posted above: 8-series, 2 humbucker, 1 SC, double cutaway). Di Marzio pickups (Air Classic HBs, Blue Velvet SC); Licenced FR trem (TRS-Pro - works VERY well):

SANY0253.jpg

SANY0257.jpg

SANY0266.jpg

gave her a good service last year, replacing the trem, 5-way switch and pots with new, and used silver shielding paint in every cavity:

S5030159.jpg

She's absolutely silent now, and plays almost as good as new. There's minor fret wear and the *tiniest* ding on the body face, but it's essentially never left my bedroom. I've recently been considering selling, as I don't use the FR at all... but no idea what I should ask for it.

• Members

I have a pearl white 1412 0r 1421, I lucked out on it about 7 years ago for 350.00. It is a bit road worn with dings and a few chips, but it is a hell of a guitar. One thing that is very interesting is the width of the neck, it must be one of the widest I have, extremely comfortable. It looks cool in the white pearl/bound in ivory with the black hardware. I also have a PAC 1221s and a 1230, both tele style bodies one H/S/H and the other w/ mini Hums x 3.

I just picked it up for 289.00, I think it is the same one I stupidly sold a few years back. There is a rare blue metallic one on ebay at the moment.

So jealous! Nice collection. BTW I am watching the blue one. The seller's reserve is $550 which is out of my range at the moment. However, there is a red on a eBay as well with no reserve. I would prefer the blue one but, for the right price, the red will do!

• Members

So jealous! Nice collection. BTW I am watching the blue one. The seller's reserve is $550 which is out of my range at the moment. However, there is a red on a eBay as well with no reserve. I would prefer the blue one but, for the right price, the red will do!

link?

• Members

You may very well look to the red one, it has a good deal to offer in the tone dept.. The 1230 with its 3 mini hums seems limited in some ways, there is a good review on HC where the guy rewired it for more flexibility and apparently it really opened up the sound. Both guitars have super slinkly necks, like Wizard necks, but they are very rigid thanks to a pair of graphite rods in them. I also have and Image Custom with a floyd type bridge,which just doesn't make sense to me, and a RGX standard which is really nice but i will probably be selling both here on HC later this summer, I have way too many guitars!

• Members

You may very well look to the red one, it has a good deal to offer in the tone dept.. The 1230 with its 3 mini hums seems limited in some ways, there is a good review on HC where the guy rewired it for more flexibility and apparently it really opened up the sound. Both guitars have super slinkly necks, like Wizard necks, but they are very rigid thanks to a pair of graphite rods in them. I also have and Image Custom with a floyd type bridge,which just doesn't make sense to me, and a RGX standard which is really nice but i will probably be selling both here on HC later this summer, I have way too many guitars!

Thanks for the info! Frankly, I just bought two (yes two) Yamaha DG80 amps so I am a bit cash short right now. I will probably miss out on both unless I can flip one of the amps in under 24 hours.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

OK, so it's not as lofty as some of the more recently-seen ones on this thread. But there's a pic below anyway (please pardon the phone-cam quality), and a (brief) story.

Like so many here, in my younger days, I went through some great guitars (I was a Gibson guy; among the ones I now regret letting go was a cherry burst LP Custom and a red '68 335 12-string...). For the past several years, I've been down to two: a '58 ES-125 with one (neck) soapbar, and an Ovation Glenn Campbell acoustic from the late 70s.

Lately, I've gotten an itch to acquire a solid-body, one that could be modded easily and without too much regret. I was contemplating, in turn, a MIM Strat, an Ibanez RG, a GuitarFetish strat clone, or a parts guitar from StewMac or the like.

Then yesterday, cruising Craigslist, I noticed an ad for a guitar for sale, a Pacifica 112. The seller was throwing in a practice amp too (I didn't need it, but what the heck), and the price was right, so I bought it. It could use a little cleaning and a mild setup job, and the strings are too light for my taste, but it is a *player*. The quality really impresses me. I think/hope it will be a great "platform" for trying out pickups, etc. I'll probably start asking questions about that on these forums soon, once I start tinkering...

Best thing of all: $60. :) Quite likely the best sixty bucks I've ever spent.

• Members

How did the chrome finish alter the tone compared to your black 1221?

How much do these chrome finishes cost and are they durable?

Uberthrall, is your red Pacifica still for sale? I'm still considering it.

No, that one was actually chromed by the previous owner. It did require pretty frequent cleaning. I used that Never Dull stuff.

Archived