The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by zenbu

View Post

I bet no two members here have exactly the same Yamaha models, they`re all exclusive. So?

So... it's nice to have a collection of quality instruments that AREN'T your typical Strat/Tele/LP/335.

• Members

In the latest Yamaha catalog I picked up here they are moving in the opposite direction...they have drastically reduced the number of electrics on offer and increased the number of acoustic models. They have the new SG series but all their strat types now fit on two pages facing each other...37 and 38...and they even have the SA2200 and SAS1500 on page 38 and thats it for electrics...no tele types at all. They`ve been in the game for a long time an right now in japan there are many very good choices for outsourced electrics at reasonable prices...mostly MICs...strats, teles, LP types...you name it...then if we speak of those on the used market well, prices are almost silly cheap in this city at least...so Yamaha must be doing better with their acoustics than electrics. Probably won`t always stay that way but at this time it is what it is...no middle of the road electric models...either high ends or low ends.

I don`t see the SG 1000, 2000 or 3000 models...there are more basses than guitar on offer in this catalog.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zenbu

View Post

In the latest Yamaha catalog I picked up here they are moving in the opposite direction...they have drastically reduced the number of electrics on offer and increased the number of acoustic models. They have the new SG series but all their strat types now fit on two pages facing each other...37 and 38...and they even have the SA2200 and SAS1500 on page 38 and thats it for electrics...no tele types at all. They`ve been in the game for a long time an right now in japan there are many very good choices for outsourced electrics at reasonable prices...mostly MICs...strats, teles, LP types...you name it...then if we speak of those on the used market well, prices are almost silly cheap in this city at least...so Yamaha must be doing better with their acoustics than electrics. Probably won`t always stay that way but at this time it is what it is...no middle of the road electric models...either high ends or low ends.

I don`t see the SG 1000, 2000 or 3000 models...there are more basses than guitar on offer in this catalog.

I noticed that MF is pushing the new Yamaha acoustics pretty hard but I have never seen any electrics in their catalogs. We had them in the store when I worked for them (1997-1999) but never saw them in a catalog.

• Members

Well, the electric strat type models I see now are... the Pac212...44,000 yen and the 112...38,000 yen...both come in various colors with the 112 having the optional maple board. One left hand 112 model. No jazz box types this time round either. Basically...they all have the same p`up configuration only differences are laminated quilt, flame or plain tops and finger boards. Even the local Yamaha shop has fewer Yamaha models than other brands, same goes for acoustics...more non Yamahas than Yamahas. Gotta stay flexible to stay alive today I guess. Can`t really blame this on the March quake either `cause the shop has been that way for a couple of years...though they did have an SG 1000. 2000 and 3000...but they didn`t sell so they must have been sent along to other shops in the chain. I doubt there are many people buying new guitars in Sendai these days though...the local Rock Inn is having a used guitar sale this week-end...there are probably more guitars coming into the store than going out right now...and the gov`t is talking of increasing the sales tax...I`ve been saying for years, if they just started cracking down on traffic violations there`d be no need to raise the sales tax but the cops seem more interested in stopping kids riding double on bicycles than stopping cars going through red lights...and I`m not kidding...by the numbers, Japan is in worse shape than Greece is now...there are other differences that change the two situations but looking at numbers only, Japan is worse...there is no money to rebuild this part of the country so they`re trying to come up with ways to do something but so far, they still have done very little.

• Members

I spent the last few days fooling around with the Q-100's in my AES-1500 and I'm growing to like them.

I lowered them way more than I'd expected which dropped their output and smoothed out what had been a harsh high-end. They're a lot smoother, of course, and I found some nice Jazz tones in them. For the first time I'm satisfied them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My first(of many to come) Yamaha, scored off of eBay recently. A friend of mine has the Billy Sheehan sig bass, and since I got a chance to play that, I've fallen for Yamaha instruments.

RGX620Z Amber Burst. The neck is amazing, needs some cleaning up, new set of strings, strap locks, Planet Waves autotrim locking tuners. I have a couple Dimarzio pickups sitting around, but I like the sound of the stock pickups so far, so I'm going to leave them for the time being...

photobucket-44082-1310995542129.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by CreamTele2

View Post

My first(of many to come) Yamaha, scored off of eBay recently. A friend of mine has the Billy Sheehan sig bass, and since I got a chance to play that, I've fallen for Yamaha instruments.

RGX620Z Amber Burst. The neck is amazing, needs some cleaning up, new set of strings, strap locks, Planet Waves autotrim locking tuners. I have a couple Dimarzio pickups sitting around, but I like the sound of the stock pickups so far, so I'm going to leave them for the time being...

photobucket-44082-1310995542129.jpg

Beautiful. Congrats.smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Boy

View Post

I have no better words to say...

Just one question:

She doesn't have inlays on the fretboard?

Correct, no inlays, just side markers. I'm not positive how i really feel about it yet, I think i like the clean look of it, and i prefer block inlays, but I dont think they would look right on this guitar...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That's a tough one. They are made with Yammies typical awesomeness but that body shape is an acquired taste. Local shop had the humbucker version. Plays and sounds great but I just can't get past that body shape. I would say $400-500 is a good price.

• Members

BTW talked to a friend that I play with occasionally. He plays a Fender Jeff Beck strat these days but I remember that, years ago, he played a Yamaha. I asked him about it and he said, "Yup, Yamaha SG2000 that I bought brand new in 1980." The thing is immaculate and amazing!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by keytone

View Post

Here's one I no longer have. Regrets!

TVL.jpg

I have one - bought it in late 2008. I called Yamaha and mine dates to May 2006, so it had obviously been sitting in the shop for a long time! I've taken the pickguard off mine, and use it as my slide guitar. I keep it in open D.

• Members

Can anyone tell me what model this eBay auction is for?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160633828225

Archtop with art-deco f-holes; tobacco sunburst; individual tailpieces/LP-style control layout... sitting at £180 with no bids.

And a heads-up on a SA2100 semi-hollow:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Currently at £500 with 5 days to go. I'd bid myself if I didn't have an SA2200...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMC

View Post

Can anyone tell me what model this eBay auction is for?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160633828225

Archtop with art-deco f-holes; tobacco sunburst; individual tailpieces/LP-style control layout... sitting at £180 with no bids.

And a heads-up on a SA2100 semi-hollow:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Currently at £500 with 5 days to go. I'd bid myself if I didn't have an SA2200...

It's an AE500. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...product_lineup

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

confused.gif

Hi, I just bought a nice Pacifica 604, (not the W).

The guitar is in mint condition except for the wiring. The previous owner mess with the original wiring. I am now looking ALL OVER THE NET for Pacifica wiring and I can't find any. Is there a Yamaholic that can help me out there ?

Thanks

Archived