The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMC

View Post

The used SA2200 just arrived at my workplace. Wow, what a beautiful instrument!

Online photos just don't do it justice... the flamed top and back is just fantastic with a very attractive grain, not a single flaw or scratch in the finish. The ebony fretboard is almost perfectly smooth and tight, with fret ends well trimmed. A little excess filler around the real MOP inlays but only visible on close examination. The frets themselves are quite wide and low but still have rounded tops - any idea what fret size is installed on this model? Some could also do with a bit of a polish - can anyone recommend the best way to do this at home? Steel wool, Scotch Pads or some sort of rubbing compound?

The binding is perfect (no 'lip' where it meets the body wood), tuners work well etc. Some slight tarnishing to the bridge pickup cover but less than I'd been led to expect by the seller.

Serial number is QMY011I - can anyone help in regards to date of manufacture, please?

One thing that does look a little odd - the mounting screws for the bridge have no screw head on the end for adjustment; the only way to adjust is to use the thumbscrews. Is this normal?

Can't wait to get this home tonight and plug her in! Photos etc to follow...

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks, Richard...

Any ideas about:

- polishing the frets

- dating it from s/n QMY011I

- whether the bridge mounting screws usually have a slotted head to accept a screwdriver?

First thing to do is swap the strings (currently feels like 9s, I prefer 10-52) and adjust the neck and action. It's very playable but the strings are too flexible and the action too low for blues.

• Members

View Post

Thanks, Richard...

Any ideas about:

- polishing the frets

- dating it from s/n QMY011I

- whether the bridge mounting screws usually have a slotted head to accept a screwdriver?

First thing to do is swap the strings (currently feels like 9s, I prefer 10-52) and adjust the neck and action. It's very playable but the strings are too flexible and the action too low for blues.

Polishing frets... well, I'd just make sure I don't scratch that gorgeous ebony fretboard... I think you know a lot more than I about set-up and maintenance. There was a thread about that not long ago.

S/nr. Q is supposed to mean "0" and M should mean "6" according to what Bonenut and I discussed a few posts above this one. So 2006? Also it seems like yours may be the 11th made on that month. As to the month, no idea (L=may).

I need to see a pic of the screws because of my english, I'm not sure what "thumbscrews" are.

thumb.gif

*Edit* Oh, I see what thumbscrews are. those coin shape screws for the birdge height. The shaft itself (that goes into the body) on mine has no slot either so it seems that's how an SA2200 bridge is made. I supposed one can turn those with a plyer if need be.

*edit again* I was curious and looked at the bridge of my Les Paul and there is no slot on that one either while the bridge on my heritage have slots on those shaft. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

RE thumbscrews: the bridge (not the tailpiece) mounts to the top via a pair of screws. On other tune-o-matic guitars I've owned, these two screws were adjustable (to change string action) via either slotted heads or thumbwheels at the base of the screws:

GraphResoMaxTuneOMaticBridge6mmPostGold.

However, on the SA2000 the slotted heads are missing, meaning you have to use the thumbwheels to adjust bridge height, like these:

p90tune.jpg

• Members

Congrats on the new SA2200!

Thumbscrews are correct. That's the way it comes from the factory.

I try not to use any abrasives on my frets. When they get dull, I use a polish called Blue Magic.

294306_300.jpg

A tiny amount amount on a small piece of cotton is enough to polish the frets and they look like mirrors. One of those tubs in the picture will last a life time. Don't get it on your fretboard.

• Members

Alex, is this the first SA2200 you had a chance to try? (wouldn't be surprising, they're pretty hard to find and try in person). I tell you, the longer you own it, the more you're gonna love it. I see even more today what i have in this guitar than when I first got it. Everything about this guitar is of superlative quality.

• Members

Just got it home... about to plug in for the first time before I replace the strings with 10.5-50 gauge GHS Boomers (never tried this gauge before). Photos might have to wait until the weekend when I've got more natural light though.

edit:

this thing balances perfectly on my leg in the seated position... my Agile LP which it will replace has a horrible body-dive problem (I have to use downward pressure on my fretting hand to keep it from falling off).

And what a great woody tone! Bridge or neck, humbucking or single-coil, the clean sound (POD XT TWin Reverb model) is awesome. Right, off to change the strings before I explore any further...

• Members

Hmmm... the truss rod isn't capped with an allen nut - it has a regular , 6-sided brass nut without enough room either side to get a pair of pliers or a spanner around it.

Is this usual?

• Members

View Post

Hmmm... the truss rod isn't capped with an allen nut - it has a regular , 6-sided brass nut without enough room either side to get a pair of pliers or a spanner around it.

Is this usual?

Like a Gibson Les Paul? You'd need something like this. Pliers wouldn't give a good grip and would be risky to damage something if you slip, I think.

LPTRwrench.jpg

• Members

Aha... yes, I guess I need one of those (a socket wrench). I've never seen this sort of truss rod nut before.

First boo-boo! I sat the guitar upright in its stand then loosened all the strings. When I cut through the last one, the stop tailpiece dropped out of its mounting and slid down the face of the guitar onto the floor. No scratches, I guess I was lucky this time! I'm being so damn careful with it now... I've got to be wary of the low (head hight) ceiling in my practice room - I've whacked a bunch of headstocks on it in the past...

I've just noticed - bone nut!

• Members

Some pictures of my new (used) SA2200:

topclose.jpg

top2.jpg

top1.jpg

side2.jpg

side1.jpg

headstock.jpg

back.jpg

4 years old and not a single mark or scratch, aside from the gold plating starting to wear off the bridge humbucker. Awesome buy for around 50% of the new price!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zenbu

View Post

so good you needed to post the pics twice.

Gotta create a NGD post for the general forumites, and was obliged to add the pics to this thread - which is after all a repository of Yamaha pictures.

• Members

View Post

Gotta create a NGD post for the general forumites, and was obliged to add the pics to this thread - which is after all a repository of Yamaha pictures.

No harm done though. Looks spiffy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by odd

View Post

Anyone have an RGX1220A or 1212A?

I don't have any 1200 series RGX's. Are interested in specs? I posted some catalog scans a and other info few pages back in this thread you just have to look for it.

Archived