NEVER USING PRO-MARK STICKS AGAIN

Fendert

• Members

I've not found that to be true, I really like pro-m specially the Japanese Oak.

I use Vater these days because of Cheese.

But I do know how you feel, I used to Love buddy Rich sigs, but I broke too many too quickly and now hold no love for them.

Been playing the same pair of Japanese oaks I purchased around christmas time last year. I have played with them forever and would never think of switching. I used to use the rock knockers, but switched to the nylon tip three pairs and two years ago. No tips lost and no breakage except from usual wear and tear.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I started with Vic Firth 5as and they seem to be pretty good, they last me about a month and a half or so. Then I used Ahead sticks, Lars Ulrich's signature sticks, obviously metal sticks. They lasted me a good 4-5 months and then the plastic cracked. Then I used some Vic Firths, and now have Pro Mark 5as, and so far they are good.

Something a little weird to think about: My friend Korey who just started playing drums decides to use brass drumsticks, effin heavy sticks...

• Members

I have to laugh at some of the remarks. I have been drumming for 27 years, and have broken a total of 5 sticks. Granted, I have discarded several over the years for chipped tips, warping, etc, but rarely , if ever, do I break a stick. AND I HAVE BEEN USING MAPLE 2B's FOR 5-6 years. Learn how to hit the drums/cymbals correctly, and you can delete this column

• Members

I can't stand oak, something about the density and the vibration feels way off in my hands. Hickory has that good vibe to it, kind of like it's alive. Maple always felt really light and strange, although I am tempted to try a pair of maple 2B's again someday.

• Members

I have to laugh at some of the remarks. I have been drumming for 27 years, and have broken a total of 5 sticks. Granted, I have discarded several over the years for chipped tips, warping, etc, but rarely , if ever, do I break a stick. AND I HAVE BEEN USING MAPLE 2B's FOR 5-6 years. Learn how to hit the drums/cymbals correctly, and you can delete this column

And when you lift the stick 1" off the drum how much volume to you get and what sound do the drums have with no rims on them?

Sorry, had to. :thu:

Only time I really break sticks is when I'm laying into the snare, hardly ever get a break up at the neck...but wood isn't perfect and even with 'the best of techniques' its going to fail, some sooner than others. You can almost tell how long a stick is going to last and where it will fail by looking at the grain.

• Members

In my young and really sloppy playing days, I broke sticks left and right, would get the big bricks of cheap GC sticks, and those were always cracking.

After years of lessons and much better technique, I still broke a lot of sticks. I got bricks of Vic Firth, and because I did so many rimshots (playing 100's of shows with hard rock bands), they would get smashed until they finally exploded.

Now I just don't break sticks because I never play.

• Members

I suppose if I were in a whiny pop band with my cymbals tilted perfectly flat, grabbed a pair of 2B's like motorcycle handles, and railed right against the edges, that would be my own version of proper technique?

Save it for the hippies. There's bad technique.

• Members

I do buy my sticks in a store rather than online for one reason also. I was told that sticks generally break because of where they come from in the wood. If you buy them online you do not have the ability to see where the grain is at. When you have a grain the runs out near one side of the tip, especially above the middle and nearer the tip, you will get breakage that leads to the knife looking shank type break. The sick will split rather than really break. I always look for this and and very guilty of even mixing some sticks from multiple sets to avoid this problem. Again, I have never had issues with Pro-Mark, nut looking back not with any other stick either. Of course with the exception of AHEAd's which I hated.

• Members

Yeah, technique has a lot to do with it.

I broke 4 or 5 in one band practise.Same sticks I use now just better sticking

Bad technique means lots of broken sticks and drumheads and cymbals.

With good technique, you can play VERY LOUD while preserving your gear.

• Members

Never was really impressed with the Pro-Marks they seemed to shred really fast or thetips broke quickly! I bought a pair of Vic Firth Dave Weckl sig series and really have been impressed with them they have lasted me about 8 months now and I have horrible stick technique! The only thing I don't like about these particular sticks is the coating! they get slippery when your hands get sweaty so I roughed them up a bit with some sandpaper!

• Members

Never was really impressed with the Pro-Marks they seemed to shred really fast or thetips broke quickly! I bought a pair of Vic Firth Dave Weckl sig series and really have been impressed with them they have lasted me about 8 months now and I have horrible stick technique! The only thing I don't like about these particular sticks is the coating!
they get slippery when your hands get sweaty
so I roughed them up a bit with some sandpaper!

heavy knob. heh heh.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I've never experienced the breakage with ProMarks, but have always had an issue with the balance and weight of them. Vic Firth 5A nylon tip is my main go-to stick but for some reason their hickory is softer than ProMark's, lower in pitch, and they ding and dent easily so they don't last very long. I also dislike the cone shape of the tip. However the weight and balance feel perfect to me. ProMark's tip is shaped better, more articulate with truer rebound, but their 5A feels to light to me. And there's a huge jump in weight to their 5B. I've tried the "perfect balance" pairs but none of them are "just right" for me. Vater 5A's have too short a taper; they feel stubby to me. After 30+ years of playing I'm still on a quest for the perfect stick. I used to like Regal Tips but you can't find a straight pair anywhere; they're always badly warped now. Great rebound though. Fast stick.

• Members
Fitch ....to this day I have not seen a pair of silverfox sticks here in the midwest............surprised they are still in biz!!

They have a neat business model, from what I've seen -- most of their sales are online or through a dealer shop. I buy mine through a shop in NH and the shop loves it because if I need like a head or Moon Gels, I add them into the stick order. They certainly aren't focused on advertising.

Archived