NEVER USING PRO-MARK STICKS AGAIN

Fendert

• Members

I've been using pro-marks 5B for 8 years now and a fter breaking the day after I buy them 3 times in a row I decided to go to to vic's 5b extreme. I have been very pleased with them I had one pair for 4 months. When i went to buy a new pair they didn't have what I wanted at Georges music (typical) so I thought I would give PRO-MARK one more chance. and do you know what happened?

SNAP! after maybe 2 total hours of play!!! :mad:

I am not a hard hitter. I don't play music that requires hitting hard, I've been playing drums for 11+ years I'm not an idiot.

I use to use these same kind of sticks forever and now I don't know what they have done to them in the past year, but THEY SUCK NOW!!!

I live a good 30 minutes (sometimes 45 depending on traffic) and I can't spare the money to buy more than one pair at a time since they are like $10 dollars a pop now!

PRO-MARK= SUCK-MARK

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had the same problem. Then went to VF 5B's...then tried Silverfox 5b's and they sucked..slipped out of my hands and broke really easy because of their so awesome "coating". So now i'm at VF 5A so I can have a little more control. never looking back, FTW!!!!!!!

• Members

I switched to Promark from Vics when the Vic tips started chipping in 15 minutes. Happy camper now, and I like the tip shape better to boot.

Kid uses the 747B oaks, and they last longer than any stick he's ever used--twice as long or more, and they die from rim shots before the tips chip.

So yeah, they suck. :rolleyes:

• Members

Oddly enough, I was using 727s....had been using that model for over a year, then all of a sudden, they started breaking on the shoulder, straight break....Promark sent me several "replacement" pairs and the same thing. (mind you these are their Japanese oak)

I decided to try the 420s (Portnoy signatures), same stick, but hickory, which should break easier than oak.....bought 8 pair about 2 years ago now.....still have 7 pair left!!

• Members

I've been using pro-marks 5B for 8 years now and a fter breaking the day after I buy them 3 times in a row I decided to go to to vic's 5b extreme. I have been very pleased with them I had one pair for 4 months. When i went to buy a new pair they didn't have what I wanted at Georges music (typical) so I thought I would give PRO-MARK one more chance. and do you know what happened?

SNAP! after maybe 2 total hours of play!!!
:mad:

I am not a hard hitter. I don't play music that requires hitting hard, I've been playing drums for 11+ years I'm not an idiot.

I use to use these same kind of sticks forever and now I don't know what they have done to them in the past year, but THEY SUCK NOW!!!

I live a good 30 minutes (sometimes 45 depending on traffic) and I can't spare the money to buy more than one pair at a time since they are like $10 dollars a pop now!

PRO-MARK= SUCK-MARK

I've been using Vic's 5b extreme, great sticks,I buy a pair at a time just to go to the drum shop once every 3 months. Been wanting to go but still have 3 new pair.

• Members

I remember as a kid I sent off for a pair of Pro-Mark sticks (I had only been playing a year or so and was very young so I had little money), I got the pair in the mail, and the tip (wood tips) broke off after 5 minutes. Just hitting the ride bell, broke right off.

Anyways, I never liked Pro-Marks. They feel odd to me, like they're rough but too light weight.

I had great luck with Vaters, even though I'm now using a pair of $2 Sound Percussion sticks that are fantastic.

• Members

I'm just curious to what everyone plays or how they play for sticks to last so long and/or not so long.

I've used maybe six pairs over the last year, most of them were shredded up pretty good with the whopping two shows I played.

Most were Vic Firth 5B's, maybe a pair of 5A's, and the current pair I'm using are Sound Percussion 5B's with the yellow grip.

Angle your drums so you're not digging into the hoop so much or whacking the side of cymbals and that should help. Oh and it's all about rebound too, don't try and absorb all the energy of the hit, let the stick bounce a little.

• Members

Not a fan of Promark either man, but not cause they break, the oaks are virtually un breakable. Do you have die cast hoops on the snare? Cause I would go through sticks like crazy with those style hoops from rim shots.

Not one single break since switching..

Archived