OT - revive the Food Thread!

the DW

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You guys are 900x better cooks than I will ever be. 900x better than my mom/dad too. My grandmom though...I didn't know food could taste so good.

Chik fil A is around here too. It seems alot better than the rest of the fast food places around. Its a bit more expensive I think, but worth it.

• Members

baja fresh isn't bad. I eat chipotle now and then too. I try and stick with non-chain locally owned places, which is easy to do in Baltimore. It was much harder in Columbus; it's chain heaven there.

edit: taco bell once every 3 or 4 years maybe. McDonalds about once a year for breakfast, and I'll get a burger there if I'm depressed and hate myself, usually not more than once a year. my diet could hardly be called healthy but chain fast food is like sex in a hammock in a field of hemlock.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Wellhungarian View Post
Tonight was vegetarian night.

Asiago Cheese Crusted Avocado Sandwiches with Blue Cheese and Pear Salad.
man, you can put blue cheese (or feta, for that matter,) on anything and it'll taste like gold.

that sounds good, well.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Is Chik Fil A a national company ? They just built a new one by my house and it's really good. Much better than Taco Smell and Mickey D's.
I don't know if it's coast to coast but I know it's at least halfway. Is based out of Georiga (Marietta I Think) and are along the East USA coast to at least Okla and Texas. When they rebuilt and added on my college (Univ. of Central Oklahoma) student union was rebuilt and newer food court! Chik and BK were added, before that was like the cafeteria in Animal House, Old ladies and day old Jello! LOL

PS: You need to search DW's old food threads, He's talking more about posting pics of YOUR special dishes and sharing the recipes. Get ready, you'll see when he posts his latest dish! Also,after Cross Eyed told me about Frank's hot sauce on one of the food threads, I love it!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
baja fresh isn't bad. I eat chipotle now and then too. I try and stick with non-chain locally owned places, which is easy to do in Baltimore.
I'm curious if you've tried California Tortilla, my favorite burrito joint. They are a chain but not a big one, and based in MD. They ROCK! Carnitas special right now is the bomb-diggity, especially the BBQ Quesadilla.

Re: Chick Fil A, love them. None where I am now, but used to get them often down in MD. They are only about 30 minutes from where I live now but not in a direction I often travel. Their milkshakes KILL!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by satman View Post
ok WH how do i make it,sounds and looks tasty.
I see I provoked DW afterall. You always made some fine lookin' food.thumb.gif

Cheese Crusted Avocado Sandwiches/2 people

ingredients

3 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup Parmesan or Asaigo cheese, grated
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 slices of thick French bread
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 avocado
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tomato, sliced thin
1/4 red onion, sliced thin
1 cup alfalfa sprouts

(1) In a s small bowl, blend the butter with the Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Spread 1 side of each bread slice with the Parmesan butter.

(2) In another small bowl, blend the mayonnaise with the Dijon mustard. Halve and pit the avocado and thinly slice it lengthwise. Sprinkle the sliced avocado with lime juice.

(3) Put the slices of bread under a broiler until brown and crisp. Just the cheese side.

(4) Put the half of the cheese toasts on a work surface, browned side down. Arrange an avocado half and 3 tomato slices on each toast and season with salt and pepper. Top each with 1 onion slice, 1 tablespoon of the mustard-mayonnaise and 1/2 cup of alfalfa sprouts. Top with the remaining cheese toasts, browned side up.

Blue Cheese and Pear Salad

ingredients

1/4 head Romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
1/2-1 pear, cored and diced
1/2 red bell pepper, cored and sliced
1/8 cup Girard's Champagne dressing
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 chopped walnuts

(1) Place lettuce in a large salad bowl. Add pear and bell pepper and toss with enough dressing to coat. Serve topped with blue cheese and walnuts.

Archived