Relationship Problems? Help...

guitargod0dmw

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See - so all you need to do is tell Heather that you're sick of her talking about Paul Harvey. You're her husband, not him. And that's the rest of the story.

Great job gang....I feel like we've really accomplished something here today.

• Members

At least she's talking to me again, but she already told me that she doesn't want me in the same bed as her tonight.

Then get a motel room for the night. If she doesn't want you in her bed, fine - but that doesn't mean you have to stay in the house.

Sounds to me like she's trying to punish you. She's not your mom and you don't have to stand for that - if she doesn't want to share a bed, tell her that's her right, tell her you love her and that you'll see her in the morning.

• Members

Then get a motel room for the night. If she doesn't want you in her bed, fine - but that doesn't mean you have to stay in the house.

Sounds to me like she's trying to punish you. She's not your mom and you don't have to stand for that - if she doesn't want to share a bed, tell her that's her right, tell her you love her and that you'll see her in the morning.

+1.

• Moderators

Yep.

• Members

I wonder what it would be like if the tables were turned.

I know if I called my ex boyfriend's name out in my sleep, my husband would be very hurt. I think he might be upset for a bit.

I know I would be. It's a hurtful thing. I don't think she's being childish at all, it will take some time.

• Members

I've almost/kinda sorta done this before too.

I'm not sure how it can be helped bro. It's not like you can control your dreams or what you do during them. They're buried into your subconscious. I have dreams about exes all the time. I just don't think (that I know of) I talk in my sleep.

• Members

My wife has called my by her ex's name more than once.

In the moment it takes me slightly aback, but it's a natural mistake. Anyone who does not realize that and allow for it probably isn't grown up enough to be in a relationship.

I know if I called my ex boyfriend's name out in my sleep, my husband would be very hurt. I think he might be upset for a bit.

I know I would be. It's a hurtful thing. I don't think she's being childish at all, it will take some time.

• Members

It's understandable to be a little hurt, and maybe even upset at first, but it shouldn't take long for her to understand that he didn't do it on purpose, it was a mental misfire, and he loves her.

• Moderators

Caught off guard is one thing. The manner in which that information is processed and dealt with is another. We're talking about someone saying something in their sleep. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to comprehend what happens when we sleep. Do you women get angry because we consistently have erections throughout our dreams? God knows what we're thinking about. I know I don't. Is that something I'm going to allow my wife to hold over my head for more than 10 seconds? No way. Someone needs to be a grown up. There are bills to be paid.

• Members

I would just act like nothing happend and sleep on the couch. Its obvious she's trying to punish you so don't let her see that it actually affects you and she'll probably come around and realize she's being an ass.

• Moderators

It's definitely hurtful. However, a mature relationship is built on honesty and trust. In a mature relationship, if he turns to her and says, I know that it was hurtful to hear, but I love you, I married you, I want to share my life with you, there is no one else for me (1) she should know he is sincere and (2) that should be all he "needs" to do to set things back on course. Of course she might feel stung for a bit and it is a bump in the road, but if something this small causes an issue, I'd be very concerned about the future of the relationship.

• Members

Dude, she is hurt and that is not childish, it is to be expected. Taking into account that this was not a great night anyway, she is reacting very normally. I have counseled many couples in similar situations, and the reaction is always a fueled by previous circumstances. (i.e. If all was fine, she would have blown it off in a couple of hours) Tell her you are sorry, and sleep on the couch. Both of these show ownership of the issue and that you agree that you messed up. No one wants to hear someone else

Archived