Castro resigns as Pres and Commander in Chief

James Hart

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just got back from Havana, Cuba. I was able to go as a research historian for a historical project I work on part time, looking at documents at the Cathedral and Archbishop's archives (documents fromt the 1500s, 1600s, and 1700s). It was quite an experience, an AMAZING place, beautiful, very nice people, live music everywhere. State controls a great deal, there are two Cubas, as there are two currencies there. We stayed at a great hotel called the Melia Cohiba, and there you get TV news from Germany, and internet access, if you are willing to pay $6 per hour of use. And it is SLOW. Cubans do not get any of this.

Being there while Castro was in power and when he resigned was cool, though little change will be apparent initially. Most Cubans I talked to in Havana and in Miami on my way back home to Albuquerque yesterday are cautiously excited, but feel it is just more of the same.

The Cuban people do suffer a great deal, many asked for toothpaste, soap, and other such things. We took a ton of bottles of Ibuprofrin to donate and help, but the economy there is very anemic. Our blockade is working, but not the way we want it too. The Castros are still in power, and the people are the only ones who are suffering. I believe it is the Cuban government's responsibility to take care of it's own people, just like it is Mexico's, etc. But I think we really take for granted how HUGE and POWERFUL our economy is, and the impact, for good and for not, we have on other nations, nevermind those that share a border with us or are 90 miles off our coast.

At some point, the discussion needs to move beyond "liberal" and "conservative." This isn't a football game with two teams competing to win. The threat of the "Bolsheviks" is over, and the notion that we don't do business with governments that oppress their people is a damn farse. We do it, and we do it a LOT. Always have.

With Raul Castro taking over, maybe some changes can occur. High paying jobs for Cubans, basic necessities, a free press, open elections, and freedom to travel would be a good start. Another would be a US president (liberal or conservative, I really don't give a {censored}) who is willing to lift a moribund and ridiculous embargo NO one even remembers the reason for and MOST do not support, so that the island of Cuba can breathe again.

When it does happen, and it will as younger generations in Cuba and the USA with more level heads prevail, I highly recommend everyone visit Cuba, you will LOVE it!

Rob, I couldn't agree more. And having been there (twice) I would love nothing more than to see the shackles taken off Cuba and her people by the regime there and our government here as well.

• Members
No! You go back to the "C7 fanclub house" for the daily circle jerk! You are a great fit here in "Base" Forum!:poke:

I'd rather jerk off with a bunch of friends than sit alone in my basement and jerk off to my own misguided political opinions because I have no friends.:idea:

You really are bad at this, rasta. I hope you continue to post in this thread so we can see you sink lower and lower.
C7

• Members

Rob, I couldn't agree more. And having been there (twice) I would love nothing more than to see the shackles taken off Cuba and her people by the regime there and our government here as well.

+1, I think the embargo is {censored}ing bull{censored} at this point. We've managed to drop our grudges with Russia, Germany, Japan, Italy, Vietnam, China, Mexico, and Iraq/Iran (at different times for various reasons). It's stupid that we won't deal with the Cubans over a 50 year old betrayal, especially now that Castro is basically tits up.

IMO the best way to make Cuba grow into a free, democratic nation is to flood it with American money and goods, and watch the free market take over.

C7

• Members

Yeah, things have gotta change, nothing like seeing it for yourself! When were you there? I love the music, food, and Bucanero beer! Fuerte, of course!

• Moderators
Pretty much - and his blather is typical for what passes for "discussion" at the left wing circle jerk known as the political forum... Anyone who dares to express a viewpoint contrary to their liberal drivel will get quickly shouted down - because heaven forbid anyone shed a little light on their misconceptions of reality... Must be things are getting boring over there, since they ran off anyone who isn't a hardcore liberal...

- georgestrings

Big +1 about the Political Forum circle jerk. What makes HCBF great is that even the liberals here tend to discuss things intelligently.

• Members

I agree with all those here that want the embargo lifted. It's long over due.

We've reached a point where the majority of the people in Cuba weren't alive during the revolution. Lifting the embargo at this point would likely strike a death blow to communism in Cuba, especially if we can manage to mitigate Hugo Chavez's influence there.

C7

• Members

We've reached a point where the majority of the people in Cuba weren't alive during the revolution. Lifting the embargo at this point would likely strike a death blow to communism in Cuba, especially if we can manage to mitigate Hugo Chavez's influence there.

C7

Yup. That would piss off Chavez to no end.

• Members

I just got back from Havana, Cuba. I was able to go as a research historian for a historical project I work on part time, looking at documents at the Cathedral and Archbishop's archives (documents fromt the 1500s, 1600s, and 1700s). It was quite an experience, an AMAZING place, beautiful, very nice people, live music everywhere. State controls a great deal, there are two Cubas, as there are two currencies there. We stayed at a great hotel called the Melia Cohiba, and there you get TV news from Germany, and internet access, if you are willing to pay $6 per hour of use. And it is SLOW. Cubans do not get any of this.

Being there while Castro was in power and when he resigned was cool, though little change will be apparent initially. Most Cubans I talked to in Havana and in Miami on my way back home to Albuquerque yesterday are cautiously excited, but feel it is just more of the same.

The Cuban people do suffer a great deal, many asked for toothpaste, soap, and other such things. We took a ton of bottles of Ibuprofrin to donate and help, but the economy there is very anemic. Our blockade is working, but not the way we want it too. The Castros are still in power, and the people are the only ones who are suffering. I believe it is the Cuban government's responsibility to take care of it's own people, just like it is Mexico's, etc. But I think we really take for granted how HUGE and POWERFUL our economy is, and the impact, for good and for not, we have on other nations, nevermind those that share a border with us or are 90 miles off our coast.

At some point, the discussion needs to move beyond "liberal" and "conservative." This isn't a football game with two teams competing to win. The threat of the "Bolsheviks" is over, and the notion that we don't do business with governments that oppress their people is a damn farse. We do it, and we do it a LOT. Always have.

With Raul Castro taking over, maybe some changes can occur. High paying jobs for Cubans, basic necessities, a free press, open elections, and freedom to travel would be a good start. Another would be a US president (liberal or conservative, I really don't give a {censored}) who is willing to lift a moribund and ridiculous embargo NO one even remembers the reason for and MOST do not support, so that the island of Cuba can breathe again.

When it does happen, and it will as younger generations in Cuba and the USA with more level heads prevail, I highly recommend everyone visit Cuba, you will LOVE it!

Muchas gracias Rob Martinez! I would only add that while there is no longer the threat of "Bolsheviks", the threat of "globalization" and "corrupt corporatism" continue to loom.

• Moderators

That's not true! It's just that so often around here, the bass-related threads are vastly outnumbered by the political cluster {censored}s.

I'm sure you could still manage to work in a bukkake reference in a thread about tube amps or something, though.
:o

:D
:lol:

Or you could try working in a reference about tube amps in one of those political cluster {censored}s.:idea:

:D

• Members

Muchas gracias Rob Martinez! I would only add that while there is no longer the threat of "Bolsheviks", the threat of "globalization" and "corrupt corporatism" continue to loom.

And it's great to know that there's at least one person that hates corporations and is doing his best to convince everyone on the internet that they're evil.

I work for a company that's worth $14B. I hope that in some way, my company is doing something that is making your life worse.

I will agree with you about globalization, though. There's nothing I hate more than corrupt corporations providing opportunites for people in developing nations. They're brown skinned people, after all, so they don't deserve jobs, much less prosperity. I mean, look at India. All those turban wearing nincompoops are starting to drive CARS, and cars POLLUTE!! And they're using too much energy, they must be stopped in the name of the PLANET!!

You hippies want a world where people are united in peace, but bitch about companies moving their job opportunities overseas. What is it that you really want, then?

C7

• Members

And it's great to know that there's at least one person that hates corporations and is doing his best to convince everyone on the internet that they're evil.

I work for a company that's worth $14B. I hope that in some way, my company is doing something that is making your life worse.

I will agree with you about globalization, though. There's nothing I hate more than corrupt corporations providing opportunites for people in developing nations. They're brown skinned people, after all, so they don't deserve jobs, much less prosperity. I mean, look at India. All those turban wearing nincompoops are starting to drive CARS, and cars POLLUTE!! And they're using too much energy, they must be stopped in the name of the PLANET!!

You hippies want a world where people are united in peace, but bitch about companies moving their job opportunities overseas. What is it that you
really
want, then?

C7

Nicely said.

We did have a time in history when all trade was local, and isolationism reigned. It was called the Dark Ages. And there are those who want us to go back there.

• Members

You hippies want a world where people are united in peace, but bitch about companies moving their job opportunities overseas. What is it that you
really
want, then?

C7

Yep, my favorite "news" story recently was the disaster that would insue if India could really make the highly fuel effecent $2500 car so more of those "indiginous peoples" would be .....shivers.... able to drive. :eek:

:rolleyes:

Archived