Well, I'm in the market for a 5 string....

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

What can you recommend?

I'm in need of a tight low B string. 35" scale.

I'd prefer to avoid coffee table basses....since I can't afford them and I don't like the looks. I'm open to active or passive types.

I liked the sound of the MTD Heir, I just test drove.......although, I think I'd prefer active if it came down to a bass like that. MM in the bridge. Gotta dial in that extra fatness.

My budget is $400 to $600 or so....maybe more....if it's worth it.

I'm in a stoner rock type band.....so I need nice full clean tones and dirty tube-ish tones. We tune to C standard....so I'd tune the low B to C. :o

Your thoughts?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I paid 400 for my Steinberger XQ, but I think that's a once in a lifetime price.

The only suggestion I'd make is a Peavey G-V. Best money you can spend on a 5-string IMHO. Literally no better deal on the planet if you can find one. They market around 400-500, modulus neck, 35" scale, dual humbuckers, awesome look.

See: 100_1331.jpg

• Members

The GVs come in a buncha colors (black green blue, all solid sparkly though). For the price you could get it refinished in the flayed skin of the only Aliens ever discovered and still save money over a modulus :)

For the same price, it makes a G&L 2500 look like an oversized paint stirrer. IMHO.

• Members

Schecter Stilletos are great 5 string basses IMO, as well as:

Peavey Grind,

Peavey Cirrus BXP

That's all I can come up with in your price range that I would buy if I had to buy a 5er.

I agree on the stilletto, I have a stilletto studio elite 5 and it plays out very well.

• Members

I paid 400 for my Steinberger XQ, but I think that's a once in a lifetime price.

The only suggestion I'd make is a Peavey G-V. Best money you can spend on a 5-string IMHO. Literally no better deal on the planet if you can find one. They market around 400-500, modulus neck, 35" scale, dual humbuckers, awesome look.

See:
100_1331.jpg

hey! that looks familiar!

:mad:

(it's mine, BTW, and NO you can't have it! :mad:)

(at least not until next week when it moves on like every other bit of gear i own)

:D:D

• Members

I'd love to find another MTD Heir......

What's the difference in the spectors?

The ReBop is a step under the Euro's, but it's still very well made. It's basically a bolt-on Euro with different electronics and body wood.

However even on tape, it's hard to tell a difference. Mark (Funkee1) plays a ReBop as his main ax.

My singer/guitarist for my original act has one that he records his stuff with and I've used it as a backup from time to time.

If I didn't get another Euro, I'd for sure opt for the ReBop over the Legend. It's a big step up IME/IMO.

Archived