Well, I'm in the market for a 5 string....

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
$350 seems okay......

...if I could talk them down to $500 on the ReBop.....is it really worth the extra $150? How much better could it really be?

Once you play both, you'll understand. :)

The Legend is one of their only models I don't consider a "real" Spector. I did use mine for a while but that's b/c it's all I could afford. But I was able to get it new and the ReBop was out of the price range. However considering I paid almost $600 new for my Legend 5, I would've eaten that ReBop up.

It's ok, but the ReBop like I said is just a lower model of the Euro line. The feel, outlay, everything is very comparable for a lot less.

• Members

Wait...can you go over your tuning one more time...you mentioned tuning the low B up to C, so are you going to go CF#BEA?

If it's already someplace else in this thread...sorry...

Yep.

I keep a thicker low B string, and use a lighter 4 string set tuned to C-F-A#-D#-G or C-F-B?-E?-G. (I think :D)

Even then my Jazz is floppy and loose on the low C. :(

• Members
Identifying a Spector is a pain in the ass.

I do not see a dotted inlay ReBop on their site......trust me, I've spent more time looking then just about anyone.
:mad:

Yep.

I keep a thicker low B string, and use a lighter 4 string set tuned to C-F-A#-D#-G or C-F-B?-E?-G. (I think
:D
)

Even then my Jazz is floppy and loose on the low C.
:(

That's b/c on the website ones are the DLX (Deluxe) versions.
The only diff is the inlays and the wood top on the body.

• Members
Yep.

I keep a thicker low B string, and use a lighter 4 string set tuned to C-F-A#-D#-G or C-F-B?-E?-G. (I think
:D
)

Even then my Jazz is floppy and loose on the low C.
:(

Wait...now I'm really confused.

You're using a thicker low B, and a thinner set on the rest of the strings?

What gauge low B are you using? The rest?

• Members

Same here.

This is tiring...

so many similar threads!!

Feeling...weak...from...so...many...poasts!!!

• Members

I think it's a .130.

My thought was thicker gauge.....tighter low C.

The rest of the strings are thicker, but not as thick as a .130 5 string set.

• Members

I think it's a .130.

My thought was thicker gauge.....tighter low C.

The rest of the strings are thicker, but not as thick as a .130 5 string set.

Keep in mind the scale length and string thickness aren't the only things that attribute to whether something feels "tight" or not. My SR5 had a very tight low B...and it was a 34" scale. It was just as good as my other 5ers...which are 35"

I'm confused because it's kinda weird to tune a 5er up a whole step...so I'm trying to come up with the best solution. Something tells me the string choice so far isn't going to be the best option. I'm not sure the tuning is the best option either.

If it were me, and I had to play in C standard I'd do one of three things:

1. Play a 4 string tuned to C standard.

2. Play a 5er tuned to G# (dropping the low B two whole steps just like the rest of the strings)

3. Play a 5er tuned standard (BEADG) and learn the songs differently than the guitards

• Members

I do that too...at least when I was playing in the band.

We went through the 31 songs we have solid last night and now are deciding what needs to be in E or Eb. Standard drop D and C# will take care of themselves from that. I keep a separate bass for full drop C, as that's too severe to go from standard in between sets/songs.

• Members

Keep in mind the scale length and string thickness aren't the only things that attribute to whether something feels "tight" or not. My SR5 had a very tight low B...and it was a 34" scale. It was just as good as my other 5ers...which are 35"

I'm confused because it's kinda weird to tune a 5er up a whole step...so I'm trying to come up with the best solution. Something tells me the string choice so far isn't going to be the best option. I'm not sure the tuning is the best option either.

If it were me, and I had to play in C standard I'd do one of three things:

1. Play a 4 string tuned to C standard.

2. Play a 5er tuned to G# (dropping the low B two whole steps just like the rest of the strings)

3. Play a 5er tuned standard (BEADG) and learn the songs differently than the guitards

I understand that strings and scale length won't always be the solution....but for my Jazz.....that's the best I could get.

I considered tuning my Spector down to C....but liked the extra higher string to play melodic things. Although, I'm playing in a stoner rock band.....I don't need more then 2 strings anyway. :lol:

I tried tuning down to G#....but the low sting was massively sloppy and loose.

Thought about learning them differently too, but some songs require a different tuning to play efficiently.

:o

Archived