Arguments for Obama

zesty brick

• CMS Author

A sign hung on the fridge at my house while growing up that read...

"Attention Teenagers: Leave home NOW while you still know everything."

Wow. You guys had a fridge? We used to have to haul ice 3 miles to put in our icebox, to keep our meager provisions from spoiling.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A sign hung on the fridge at my house while growing up that read...

"Attention Teenagers: Leave home NOW while you still know everything."

And on my fridge, and on the fridges of all my friends.

It was a popular sentiment.

• Members

Let's see. President Bush was being blamed for gasoline prices going through the roof.

Within the past month gas has one up here almost 50 cents a gallon. So this must be President Obama's fault.

Bush was bashed for holding prisoners at Gitmo, holding tribunals, having troops tied up in Iraq, etc.
Last time I checked, all of this was still going on under Obama with no end in sight..

• Members
Let's see. President Bush was being blamed for gasoline prices going through the roof.

Within the past month gas has one up here almost 50 cents a gallon. So this must be President Obama's fault.

Bush was bashed for holding prisoners at Gitmo, holding tribunals, having troops tied up in Iraq, etc.

Last time I checked, all of this was still going on under Obama with no end in sight..

I haven't seen a price spike... $2.09/gal this morning.

Gas prices weren't necessarily blamed on Bush, though it did seem a bit bull{censored} that the year gas prices peaked, Exxon reported record profits.

I used to think there was a bit of cronyism between Bush, Cheney, and the oil industry that caused the gas price spike but I figure if that were the case we'd have heard about it... Kind of like the no-bid contracts for Halliburton. ;)

Yes, all of this is still going on under Obama because it's only been 4 freaking months...

• Moderators
I too cannot wait until the poor are eliminated from the rich man's road!
:thu:

:D

I just love to hear people bitch about how expensive gas is and yet not change their behavior. Clearly gas is priced well below what it is worth. :D

• Members
I just love to hear people bitch about how expensive gas is and yet not change their behavior. Clearly gas is priced well below what it is worth.
:D

Gas is sort of an inelastic product in this country.

Public transportation isn't all that, you can't really quit your job right now to find something closer, and selling/buying cars isn't always a viable option either.

I don't really care about how expensive gas is though... We've got it way better than the rest of the world in this respect.

• Moderators

Public transportation isn't all that, you can't really quit your job right now to find something closer, and selling/buying cars isn't always a viable option either.

The people I actually hear talking about it don't have these issues.

• Members

The right to own guns is constitutional, so I'd worry more who is in the Supreme Court than Obama.
Any
president would have a hell of time trying to grab all of your guns.

This may be true, but I'd say he's at least responsible for doubled ammo prices and it's current availability (or lack thereof). Not to mention that firearm prices in general are beginning to go up.

This would be the response even if McCain were elected President. I don't see the problem here.

I think the response would more typically be: "here we go again..."

regardless of whether or not McCain was doing a better job.

So far, I wouldn't say that Obama is doing much better (or looks very hopeful as of yet), but the fact that he's not "another one of those crazy republicans" seems to be giving him a little leeway for now.

But hey, like someone else just said, it's only been a few months... so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for a while longer.

• Moderators
This may be true, but I'd say he's at least responsible for doubled ammo prices and it's current availability (or lack thereof). Not to mention that firearm prices in general are beginning to go up

He's responsible? :lol:

• Members
Gas is sort of an inelastic product in this country.

I don't really care about how expensive gas is though... We've got it way better than the rest of the world in this respect.

If gas ever becomes too expensive for the working class or middle class (what's left of it), California would shut down due to poor public transportation all over the State.

Gas prices are actually a serious matter. But it's better than paying $5 per liter! :D

• Members

This may be true, but I'd say he's at least responsible for doubled ammo prices and it's current availability (or lack thereof). Not to mention that firearm prices in general are beginning to go up.

Blame capitalism and the law of supply and demand. IMO it's right wing fear mongering that he's going to take the guns away that's causing the militant freak out. They go buy up what they can thinking they're not going to be able to do so in a month or a year or whatever. Suppliers realize this and double prices to make money... It's what they do.

• Members

I kind of take a different approach:

I don't care how bad the rest of the world has got it, because I'm not filling up THEIR gas tanks.

The point is, there is no justifiable reason that gas should ever have gone up to almost 5 dollars/gallon.

They're shipping the same kind of gas now (for 2.55/gallon) that they did a few months ago when it was a dollar (or more) cheaper per gallon.

and it burns just the same as the gas I bought last year for 4+ dollars/gallon.

Until it get's past the "we do it because we can" reason, I probably won't stop complaining about rising gas prices.... :rolleyes:

• Members
He
's responsible?
:lol:

indirectly, but yes :lol:

If McCain was in office right now, I'd bet this wouldn't be happening. :poke:

I guess I should have rephrased my initial statement.

Obviously it's primarily fear (of not being able to buy in the near future) that is driving up prices/sales of ammo and guns. And yes, the laws of S&D are doing what they always have and always will... but is all the fear completely unbased?

Time will tell I suppose.

Archived